RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » SF to Boston June or October?

Author Topic: SF to Boston June or October?
Diana Alferos
Member # 2215

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diana Alferos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter and I are planning on taking Amtrak from the SF Bay Area to Boston and back. We're thinking about going in October instead of this summer however we're not sure. Does anyone out there have any suggestions on the best time to make such a trip? Also, what suggestions do you have in the route back so we don't see the same scenery? Any input will be greatly appreciated by both of us. Thank you
Posts: 4 | From: Benicia, California, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 7 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Diana,

The Bay Area to Chicago run is the California Zephyr. It's timetable is designed to let you see the Sierra Nevada in daylight on Day 1, and the Rocky Mountains in daylight on day 2. Frankly, I do not mind taking it for a round trip...

But since you asked...

You basically have 4 West Coast to East Coast options. 3 hook up in Chicago with trains to the east...

The Empire Builder, running from Seattle to Chicago

The CZ, mentioned above

... and the Southwest Chief, running LA to Chicago.

In addition, the Sunset Limited runs the southern route, Los Angeles to New Orleans (and on to FL? I've never worried about this routing... way off my beaten track... someone else weigh in here).

Unless you choose the California Zephyr for the backhaul of your trip, you will have to transit from either Seattle or LA to the Bay Area. It'll be the same train: The Coast Starlight. I grew up in LA and spent my summers vacationing in State beaches along the route; it's fantastic scenery.

I've also been, once, on the Seattle-Oakland leg. It has great scenery as well, but more of it is inland.

You've not asked about accommodations, so I'll let that *** lie for a while.

Enjoy the planning, and enjoy the trip.

John

------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sidebar: They sure have the word filter set for careful language here. The word asterisked above starts with a D, has a middle letter of O, and ends with a G!

John

------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
efin98
Member # 1943

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for efin98     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Chicago to Boston you should take the Lake Shore Limited(the views of the Berkshires are the best). Then take the Twilight Shoreliner down to Washington and change to the Capital Limited which will take you back to Chicago. Getting to Chicago from the Bay Area you should take the California Zephyr, the views on that train both ways is worth it.
Posts: 55 | From: Chelsea, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pullman, don't forget about the three times a week Sunset limited and Texas Eagle which breaks up in San Antonio and continues up to St. Louis and on to Chicago.

I see you have run into the D-O-G problem I had.

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One question was whether October would be better than Summer. October fares will probably be significantly lower.

As for scenery, there's a lot to be said for going through the same places in the opposite direction. You actually do get a different persepctive, and you'll get to see the really cool stuff twice. And some parts you travel in darkness one way may be in daylight in the other direction. I don't think you really see a route until you've seen it both ways.

And, dear God, I wonder what happens if you spell *** backwards.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would recommend your opting for the October date rather than summer. Cost would be a factor as would my preference for travel during the fall foliage. I have traveled just about all the routes during all seasons and summer would be my least favorite. I'm a travel agent that specializes in rail travel anywhere in North America. I live in Bakersfield and would be happy to help you with your trip. I have traveled over 200,000 miles on Amtrak and VIA Rail(Canada) and my services would cost you very little. I would definitely put together a great trip for you and your daughter and in the long run probably save you some money. Please e-mail me at reggierail@cs.com and I will personally put together a trip for you.

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uncle Buck...

I mentioned the Sunset, but I've not ridden it,... so I asked for help

The Texas Eagle is really one of the few pieces of ladder connections still available ... and I know only one scenic segment on the route (and that only from Oct 15-Nov 10 or so) ... the Ozarks between SL and Texas line.

Of course, if I had my way, we'd be riding Sherman Hill in Armour Yellow and Harbormist Gray...

John

------------------

dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep in mind that the days are much shorter in October than they are in July. You'll see a lot more during the summer.

There's much to be said for taking one route outbound, and a different route when you return. Nonetheless, I'm always conscious of how much scenery I actually miss while on a train.

The fact is, your train will pass through hundred of miles of interesting country that you'll never see. It's unavoidable. Sometimes you'll be asleep, or talking with passengers at dinner, or washing up in the rest rooms. At other times, you'll be walking through the train, or rummaging through your luggage, or simply looking out the window on one side of the car, rather than the other.

So even if you take the same route both ways, it won't be the same trip. You'll see many things on the return journey that you didn't see the first time around.

But whenever you decide to go, and whatever route you take, you'll have a fine time.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 01-13-2003).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Chief
Member # 2172

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for The Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lotsa good options here, Diana. Take your time to decide and do some web research on the routes.

John Pullman, I've taken the Crescent from NYC to New Orleans, then connected with the Sunset Ltd. to get back home to Texas. That's a nice ride.

Efin98, I agree with the Late, er, Lake Shore Ltd., from Chicago-to-Boston. That's a nice ride. And of course the Zephyr zips through beautiful country.

How old is your daughter Diana? If between 6 and 26, getting first class bedrooms will be a vacation she'll never forget. Rotsa ruck.

- - The Chief

Posts: 190 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I note that Mr. Pullman (whom once upon a time I would have addressed as SIR)is avoiding the matter of accomodations. I'm goint to step forward and repeat my "rant" made on other threads here as well as at other message boards.

I guess I should state that I am not affiliated or connected whatever with Amtrak - I'm a CPA residing and practicing in Suburban Chicago. As an aside; I like trains.

Now that the disclaimer is out of the way, unless there are severe financial constraints the only way to do this coast to coast trip is in a sleeper. In fact, and speaking only for myself, if there were not funds available to do this trip by sleeper, I would either fly or stay at home.

Are sleepers pricey? you bet they are. Are they full? at least during peak travel periods that be the case.

While I believe it imprudent to report specific fares at a message board (in fact I prohibit it as a Forum Moderator elsewhere), you can figure roundly off peak $200 per night for a small room (Standard) with two beds, $300 during peak. For a larger room (Deluxe) double those numbers. Exact fares as well as a graphic description of the rooms are available at www.amtrak.com, or through a travel agent such as Mr. Atwell, that specializes in rail travel. Any travel agent can issue an Amtrak ticket through their airline ticketing system, but knowledge and/or interest? that is something else.

Now what I don't know is your daughter's age (don't worry, although single, I'm 62 - too old). If she is a child you and she will do fine "doubled up' in a $200/night Standard. She may even enjoy the Upper bunk. If she is an adult, likely she will want her own quarters, and in that a Standard for each. If an adolescent, I would "think twice about" one Standard, and either go the two Stds or in this case maybe a Deluxe.

I realize I may just have "quadrupled' the cost of your transportation, but these are simply my thoughts (I think I can consider myself to be an "experienced" rail traveler). I know that other Members at this Forum think that coach travel, or some combination of coach and sleeper is quite alright, and I ask that you give their views the same consideration that you choose to give mine.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daisybumble
Member # 855

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for daisybumble     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is a matter of opinion. My husband and I have shared both a Viewliner standard sleeper and a Superliner sleeper, and we were fine with it. Keep in mind that neither of us are slim, and my husband is 6'2". The only problem we ever had was in an old (orange/brown color scheme) Superliner, where I felt very claustrophobic in the top bunk (the mattress was as hard as a rock, too). These were only for one-night trips...I think I would be okay in a Viewliner for more than one night, but not a Superliner. I like the Viewliner rooms...I think there's a little bit more room, more features, space to easily stow carry-ons, and your own sink and toilet. I also like the upper-bunk window.
(note to Diana - ANY train that passes thru New York City is going to use single-level cars with Viewliner sleepers. That includes the Lake Shore Limited; even though the Boston leg continues from Albany and doesn't touch NYC, it still uses the single-level equipment. These are different than the double-decker trains that you will be using in the West or South).
I'd say spring for larger or double accomodations on the longer runs, and save some money by using one standard Viewliner room on the Chicago-Boston leg (no matter how you go, it's only over one night).
Here's an idea...if you are trying to be economical and are wondering if you will be happy travelling in a standard sleeper room, book a short trip with a sleeper, such as overnight to LA, or just a few hours where you return to SF the same day (you do not have to be travelling overnight to book a sleeper). This way, you can 'road test' the room and decide whether you will be comfortable...best to try it on a short trip than be miserable going cross-country, or spend too much money for a room larger than you will need.

Posts: 53 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 4 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GBN,

Thanks My thought, on opening the discussion, was to address the routings, and let accommodations come in later.

Here's my two cents:

- On longer trips, such as a transcontinental, going First Class is the least stressful on the body (if not the pocketbook.

- First Class feeds me well

- First Class gives me a bed.

- First Class even keeps me clean.

I, personally, if I can afford it, prefer the deluxe bedroom for three reasons:

The upper berth is bigger than the upper of a standard.

The lower is between a twin and a full bed in size.

The upper of a Superliner (and I live/travel on superliner only routes) standard has no windows ... not even the tiny upper berth windows of a Pullman "American" or "National" 6-6-4 sleeper of the 40 sand 50s.

A deluxe bedroom has its own washing facilities, including now a shower ... which was ONCE something only a Pullman "Master Room" offered.

(Rant mode ON)

Finally, I intensely dislike the engineering design of the Amtrak superliner standard bedroom. The Pullman Company, 70 years ago, had an excellent use of the space ... maximizing comfort. It was called either an open section or an enclosed section. The modern Amtrak standard bedroom has smaller seats, narrower bunks, and, when compared to the first enclosed section streamlined Pullman, Overland Trail, lacks in-room sink. It's a bad design. IMO.

(Rant mode OFF).

My two cents. Your fuel consumption per passenger mile may vary.

John

------------------

patsym
Member # 556

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for patsym     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Diana, my suggestion would be to look at buying your tickets right away if you plan to travel in the spring. Amtrak has a super buy going now with "two for one". I just bought my tickets for Oregon to Florida and San Diego to Portland for a very reasonable amount. I had been tracking the fare for about six months so I knew for sure it was a good one. We are going in deluxe rooms all the way and they are a good price too, but the sleepers sell out fast. Have fun, train travel is wonderful.
Posts: 11 | From: Pilot Rock, OR | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pulllman, while my wife and I have been reasonably comfortable sharing a Superliner standard room, I wholeheartedly agree that the design could be a lot better. Ditto with Superliner rest rooms (a particular pet peeve of mine). I've seen floor diagrams of old Pullman cars and wondered why Superliners didn't follow a similar layout.

But someday (cross your fingers) there just might be a Superliner III rolled out, and perhaps that will offer an opportunity for improvement.

------------------
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 9 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr Toy,

Short version: Some industrial engineer, 20 years ago when superliners were designed, thought the standard section design was broke ... when it wasn't.

He fixed it ... again proving the adage.

My opinion. YMMV.

John

------------------

Cthetrains
Member # 2148

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cthetrains     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we can't say *** ... I wonder if we can say God ... or cat ... or god ... or maybe I'll just shut up for a while.
LMAO

------------------
Cory (o:}=

Posts: 140 | From: Kirksville, Mo | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are some of the suggestions I made for a Superliner III in my July 11, 2002 letter to Mr. Gunn:

Add a small window to the top of the standard sleeper compartments for the upper bunk occupant. This could be as small as a 1 foot by 3 foot window with a pull shade.

Add video screens to each sleeper room and several in the coaches with headphone plug-ins (similar to the airline style headphones). The headphones would be a huge plus in the Sightseer/Lounge Car. The movies shown there are either too loud or too soft. I cannot remember any time when the sound level was just right. Add a camera to the front of each train and pipe it into the video system so we can see what’s coming up and be prepared for the photo opportunity.

Put a narrative on channel 3 throughout all the cars whenever we are traveling through scenic and/or historic land. Put the train crew on channel 4, so we can keep up with any delays, problems, interesting sites, and/or “sister” train meets. Channels 1 and 2 could continue to be train announcements. These audio channels should be accessible in sleepers, lounges, and coaches via headphones so no passenger is forced to listen to anything, and the passengers interested in these items can access them at any time by simply plugging into the nearest audio jack.

My wife came up with an excellent suggestion for the new Superliner III coaches. Some are coach-smokers, so why couldn’t some be coach-exercise cars? Have large windows with stationary bikes and stair climbers pointed at the windows so we can burn some calories between meals!
When the Superliner III’s are designed, bring back the push button in the restrooms! Unfortunately, during our May trip, I caught the bug that was running rampant through the employees and passengers on the May 9 & 10 Seattle to LAX train. This “virus” made itself known to me on the May 10-11 Sunset Limited part of my trip. Courtesy flushes are much easier with the push button as opposed to standing, shutting the lid, re-opening the lid, and sitting back down.

Also, if the design engineers can find an additional inch or two side to side in the sleeper restrooms and an additional inch or two front to back, that would make a huge difference in the maneuverability in the “room”.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike - those are GREAT suggestions for the next phase of Superliners!!!! I hope someone at AMTRAK listens to you! Your ideas would certainly make train travel a lot more attractive to many people!!
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cthetrains
Member # 2148

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cthetrains     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, here's my serious input to the discussion.

First, Diana, I have noticed that nobody bothered to mention the tendency of the Southwest Chief to get hung up in Kansas City for extended periods of time,(I know of some 3 or 4 hour delays)to wait for freight traffic, and trust me, the scenery here gets old fast. This is my full, complete, and total only bit of helpful info I can give you..

Second, GBN, there's no need to cut people before you know where the logic came from.

I hope you both have a pleasant trip!!
(and please let us see any cool pics you take during the trip)

------------------

[This message has been edited by Cthetrains (edited 01-31-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Cthetrains (edited 01-31-2003).]

Posts: 140 | From: Kirksville, Mo | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
quote:
Add a small window to the top of the standard sleeper compartments for the upper bunk occupant. This could be as small as a 1 foot by 3 foot window with a pull shade.

Mike, a lot of people have made that suggestion. I met a woman from Amtrak's Customer Advisory Committee on a train a few years ago. She asked me to submit a wish list for Superliner improvements. That was near the top of my list, along with roomier rest rooms.

Also, regarding the original question in this thread, I forgot to mention that San Francisco tends to have warmer and sunnier weather in the first half of October than in the summer. It can easily get into the low 80s in October, while summer highs tend to be more in the 65-70 range with a lot of fog.

------------------
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Diana Alferos
Member # 2215

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diana Alferos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you everyone for your advise..I just booked our trip leaving the Bay Area end of September and returning 10/14 with deluxe rooms all the way. I was pleasantly surprised on how affordable the trip will be by booking so far in advance and by going in the Fall vs. the Summer. I know this will be an experience my daughter and I will never forget. Thank you again.
Posts: 4 | From: Benicia, California, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you decided to travel in the fall instead of summer. As stated previously the train would be less crowded and fares will be much lower. The fall foliage through the Rockies, especially the Aspens turning will be awesome. Make sure your deluxe bedroom is not the one at the end of the car, I believe it is bedroom A, or maybe E. That bedroom is laid out differently and has less space. I prefer the bedroom closest to the center of the car.

Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diana Alferos
Member # 2215

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Diana Alferos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Reggie for the compartment advise, I'll call today to make sure we don't get placed in the back. I have another question...On the way home there we have a scheduled 7 hour lay over in Chicago. I'm wondering if there is anything interesting to see in or around the Chicago station? I prefer walking distance if possible. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Diana

PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 4 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Diana,

Make sure your plans for Chicago are not etched in stone. If you search through threads here you will see more than one trip where a generous time slice between trains evaporated

If you get it, fantastic

If not, life happens.

Have fun when the trip happens

John

------------------

daisybumble
Member # 855

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for daisybumble     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Diana...if things go on schedule and you do have the full 7 hours, here are some suggestions:
- If anything, take time to explore Union Station, especially the large hall in the original building. It's very grand and impressive.
- If it's a nice day, take a walk outside along the Chicago river promenade. The Sears tower is just across the water.
- Check if the water taxis are running. There is one that goes from right by Union Station to North Michigan Avenue. It's about an 8-minute ride, and I think it costs $2. You can get a quick appreciation of the architecture along the river, and you'll end up right by two major landmarks: the Wrigley Building and the Tribune building.
- Find out at the info desk if any of the free trolleys are running. Chicago does this in the summer (and also at the holidays). It's a free trolley bus that stops at train stations and major tourist attractions. It's not a tour, just transportation.
- From Union station, you can walk across one of the nearby bridges, which will put you in the Loop area. Make your way over to State Street for some major shopping (including Marshall Field's flagship store and a large Border's bookstore).

Pick up a Streetwise Chicago map (you can order them at amazon.com, or check your local bookstore). Streetwise maps are laminated, very detailed and easy to read, and fold nicely to stow in your bag. The Chicago map has many attractions marked on it.

Posts: 53 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cthetrains
Member # 2148

Rate Member
Diana, there is PLENTY to see in Chicago if you're going to be there that long. The Sears Tower is 2 or 3 blocks away, for starters, there are several varying types of galleries, museums, and exhibition facilities nearby which you might investigate, and Lake Michigan is only a short cab ride away, or a brisk walk if you prefer. Lakeshore Drive,(I think that's the right name) is beautiful that time of year. It's a split 4 lane, with landscaped parks in the median, and a fountain which puts on a light show at night. This road runs along the lake for several miles, connecting places such as the Museum of art and science, the planetarium, and the arboretum, to the South; the Pier and various shopping venues to the North. There are admission fees to most of these locations, but what you experience inside is more than worth it. Of course, as Bumble mentioned, I have spent several hours in Union Station just admiring the structure itself, and if you get hungry, McDonalds has practically wallpapered their dining area with railroad memorabilia. Again, if possible, we'd like to see some pics of your journey, (some of us haven't seen that route yet).

FINALLY...HOPE YOU BOTH HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME ON YOUR TRIP!!!!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Cthetrains (edited 02-18-2003).]

Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The deluxe sleeper rooms you want are "D" or "E". "C" is ok, "B" is right over the trucks and can get plenty noisy if you have sqeaking trucks. "A" is smaller and right by the door to the next car.

In the standard sleepers, you'd want 3, 4, 5, or 6. 7 & 8 aren't too bad, but the door opening can be heard fairly easy. 9 & 10 are to be avoided. 11, 12, 13, & 14 are downstairs, near the bathrooms, shower and luggage racks.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Diana - if you have time in Chicago, you can walk to the Art Institute on Michigan Avenue, or take a short taxi ride to the Field Museum of Natural History, Shedd Aquarium, and Adler Planetarium (those sttractions are actually also about a 20- to 30-minute walk from the station -- not too far). If you want to go a little further from the downtown area, and have the time, the Museum of Science & Industry is an interesting attraction, but that WILL require a taxicab ride, since it is much further away from downtown
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cthetrains
Member # 2148

Rate Member
Thank you for the correction, RRICH, as the distances I remembered were from a 12yr old point of view.

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page