RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak gets most of what it asked for; no shutdown anticipated

Author Topic: Amtrak gets most of what it asked for; no shutdown anticipated
Trainsandmore
Member # 896

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trainsandmore   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trains.com just reported that Amtrak will receive a little more than $1 billion for fiscal 203, less than what it had requested but more than its critics wanted to provide.

Amtrak officials, who were seeking $1.2 billion through Sept. 30, say it's was too early to determine whether the proposed $1.05 billion would force a cutback in services. Amtrak president David Gunn has warned that anything less than $1.2 billion could force a systemwide shutdown this spring.

Officials of the intercity passenger carrier still were examining the details of the agreement, part of a $397.4 billion spending bill that would complete the fiscal 2003 federal budget. The agreement now goes to the full Congress, which is expected to approve the compromise.

"We have no plans to shut down," Amtrak spokeswoman Karina Van Veen told Gannet News Service.

The agreement lists several financial steps that Amtrak would have to take to receive the money.

Grants to cover operating losses for each of Amtra's 18 long-distance lines could not be handed out to the financially ailing company until detailed financial information and revenue projections were provided to the administration. The administration has been particularly critical of those routes, some of which lose more than $200 per passenger.

The deal also calls for greater administration oversight by requiring Transportation Secretary Norman Mineta to parcel out grants for operating and capital needs rather than just giving the finacially struggling company a lump sum. Amtrak also would not be allowed under the plan to spend money on anything not included in its annual business plan.

Van Veen says many of the reforms spelled out in the agreement are steps Amtrak already has taken.

any comments guys?

Posts: 136 | From: Biloxi,MS,USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had the Omnibus funding bill not included appropriations for studying the mating habits of catfish ("let 'em just do what comes naturally")or a Cowgirl Museum (doesnt Starz presently have a channel where you can watch Roy and Dale sing "Happy Trails' to hearts' content?) Amtrak may well have "got it all".

Consider the funding a "victory".

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman once again has identified the major problem this country has with appropriately funding worthwhile endeavors
for the public welfare. It is the propensity
of Congress to take our limited tax receipts and create "PORK".
It seems to be in vogue to criticize the President, any setting President, for the budget proposals; but in the end result it is almost always Congress who is responsible
how much we are taxed and how that money is spent. It is easier for us to criticize one person than 535 members of Congress. Anyway,
we each "know" that it is not our congressman
who does these things with which we disagree.
It's these "other members" who are guilty.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The name "omnibus" spending bill does sometimes make me nervous; it almost sounds like either they're dumping liberal amounts of cash on Greyhound, or that all Amtrak routes are to be turned into Thruway...
Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Douglas
Member # 1830

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Douglas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Congress and everyone else could pour all the money in the world into Amtrak...or any other passenger rail operation in the U.S. but without a complete overhaul of the passenger system...and a complete overhaul of those selected to operate the system, the United States will never see a full service, fully equipped up to date modern passenger operation. This country, for the most part does not want a rail passenger service. The railroads don't want their lines cluttered up with low revenue passenger service. I have talked to a few people who work for Amtrak....and all they want to do is pull their shifts and get home to dinner and television.

I am sorry to say that I believe we are all very much out of step with the rest of the planet when it comes to rail passenger service. The only thing left on the tracks that has any style are those "wine Trains" along with a handful of very expensive passenger "Specials" .

Posts: 21 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Douglas:
This country, for the most part does not want a rail passenger service....

Douglas, have you seen the polls?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&node=&contentId=A43767-2002Aug4

http://www.usmayors.org/69thwintermeeting/railpoll.htm

Other polls to which I do not have links include a recent CNN internet poll (unscientific) which showed about 80% in favor of funding Amtrak. A scientific 1997 Gallup poll showed 69% in favor of funding Amtrak. In the last several years there have been several polls all in the 60-80% range showing support for passenger rail. That hardly sounds like a nation that doesn't want a passenger train system. For the most part, we do!

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 02-17-2003).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I think Douglas erred when he said that the public does not want a passenger rail service. What he meant to say was that the public does not know that a passenger rail service even exists.

If more people were aware of the services that Amtrak provides, they would probably choose to travel by trains in a heartbeat, particularly in these days of high security paranoia.

I discovered Amtrak a little over five years ago. I vaguely knew it existed before that time but had no idea what an outstanding mode of transportation it provided. Now I have given up planes entirely.

This country is too vast for any private company to take on the task of providing the sort of railroading experience that Douglas dreams about.

As it is, Amtrak covers over 30,000 miles of land for the same cost as it takes to maintain the 97 mile Bay Area Rapid Transit (the BART).

Furthermore, the trains use, per passenger, less energy than a motorcycle uses to transport its rider. In short, despite a few glitches, Amtrak runs one hell of an efficient railroad.

Amtrak is energy efficient, it is cost effective and now that it is going to give up its money losing freight service, it probably won't get in the way of Douglas' beloved freight trains (nor create a conflict of interest).

And don't worry Douglas, the freight companies get a big fat check from Amtrak for allowing us to use "their" rails.

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You heard it folks, from yet another satisfied customer! Thanks Chucky.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once again, the life support isn't switched off, but we refuse to provide enough effort to get Amtrak where they should be. Perhaps Cngress and the Administration are just hard of hearing. The subsidy wouldn't be so high if they were not forced into a money-losing express business. Maybe it wouldn't be so high if they didn't have to pay fuel or property taxes like the others. Maybe the subsidy wouldn't be so high if they didn't have loans and mortgages to get another two weeks down the debtors' trail. We've deferred maintenance, and it's starting to show. The new express trains are great, but wouldn't it be nice if they could afford the track upgrades and electricity to let them reach their potential.
More of the same. Will it ever change? Not in America. I DID pay $1.91 a gallon for gas last night, though. Does it keep people from drag racing? Does it make them use the available bus or subway? You know.
A few nights ago I saw a pretty amusing sight. Amusing in a dry, ironic way. The westbound pulls in, only 22 minutes late (not bad!) and someone immediately climbs in the trailing locomotive. Apparently, it is having trouble supplying power to the train and moving itself at the same time. (Sound familiar, F40 nuts?) The particular engine is 185. Come on. I got a photo of 185 the day it was delivered. July 9, 2001. The train is 280 miles out of the last engine service point, and the trailer is unable to do much more than pull itself. Tell me the maintenance budget is fine. The dormitory car let off a hiss of air from the braking system every five seconds or so. The train is a grime-covered collage of seven variations on three paint schemes. The Rainbow Era lives!
Somehow, the safety record of rail travel in this country still rivals the other leaders, the airlines. Now that takes careful inspection. Honestly, Amtrak shop forces must have training in magic skills being able to do so much with so little. Any clues how they do it?
My view of American politics remains as it has been since I was twelve.

------------------
F40PH #757099-8
March 29, 1976-November 18, 2001
P42DC #53063
November 18, 2001-???

[This message has been edited by Amtrak207 (edited 02-18-2003).]

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just have to say OINK one more time.

Her are just a few more "priorities" that our so called 535 representitives of the people funded.
$750,000 for the Baseball Hall of Fame
$350,000 for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
$90,000 for the National Cowgirl Hall of Fame
$150,000 to give Robert Byrd, D-W.Va. a smooth transition for his new title (president pro-tem emeritus of the Senate)
$200,000 for the Maxine Waters Employment Preparation Center
$300,000 for the "Univeral Kitchen Design Project."
$450,000 for the National Soccer Program Development Initive.
$6,200,000 for "wood utilization research"
$360,000 to study "alternative uses of tobacco"

When they fund a "Pork Barrel Hall of Fame"
they will have to add enough money to hire the best photographer. We would not want those who have our best interests as their prime objective to not look their best.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cthetrains
Member # 2148

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cthetrains     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I told you guys there was no reason to panic just yet
Posts: 140 | From: Kirksville, Mo | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page