RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » amtrak logo

Author Topic: amtrak logo
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey can anybody tell me what the story is behind the original "pointless arrow" amtrak logo? what is its meaning?

Hey and what does everybody think of amtraks new logo designs?

Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not really sure what the original logo was designed to represent, but maybe it signifies "moving forward with train travel", or something to that effect.
I like the new logo. It gives more of a modern look to the system, and has allowed a new image of Amtrak to be created.
Although many people who aren't regular train riders or fans, unlike the majority of the contributors on this forum, still see Amtrak with the "pointless (inverted) logo," I think the new logo has caught on to a lot of travelers and the average public who see the logo on locomotives and rolling stock, advertising, etc.

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started out as a graphic artist. From a design standpoint, the original arrow was far stronger and much more memorable than Amtrak's current "wave" (or, if you prefer, "three sheets to the wind").

Unlike today's wave, the old arrow met all the requirements of an effective logo. It could be seen very easily from a distance. It was instantly recognizable (even when used without the word "Amtrak"). It didn't look like any other logo. And it was red, white, and blue -- which fit perfectly with the railroad's name (derived, needless to say, from "American" and "Track").

The current logo seems to be an abstract representation of rails crossing a rolling landscape. But it could just as easily be the logo for a new automobile, a feminine hygiene product, or an underarm deodorant.

All in all, it's a very generic, extremely lazy design job.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 02-25-2003).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dilly - your sense of humor is great!!!!!

An underarm deodorant, eh?

--Rich K

[This message has been edited by RRRICH (edited 02-25-2003).]

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irish1
Member # 222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for irish1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i agree dilly the arrow was fine. when you leave things alone they become classics.

------------------
The Copper Country Limited [Milwaukee Road] and the Peninsula 400 [CNW} still my favorites

Posts: 175 | From: FENCE WI USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dilly:
I agree the "wave" logo, which is nice in appearance, is too generic. I like the arrow. To me it displays a joining of tracks to form a reliable interconnected rail system.

Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The original logo was intended to imply many rail lines or services being united under one company. I remember reading that the graphic design hired to create the logo (people get paid for this?) tried to sell a similar version to the newly merged Burlington Northern in 1970.
The new logo is fine, although it needs a train in it. Sure, it could also be red and white. There are three segments, you know.
Let's see how long it takes American Airlines to copy this paint job.

As far as which paint scheme I personally like better, phase 3 was great for its consistency, phase 4 looks bland as hell on a locomotive, and phase 5 is unique as a change from the older ways. Phase 5 wouldn't be so bad if the blue color would be darker and less of a color I don't like seeing every time I check my e-mail.
Disclaimer: As is often the case with opinions, mine is skewed since they've made Amtrak 207s in phase 3 and 5.
@#$%, if they made Amtrak deodorant, I'd buy it. Those little bars of soap were pretty frelling good...

------------------
F40PH #757099-8
March 29, 1976-November 18, 2001
Requietum in pacis

P42DC #53063
November 18, 2001-???
Incredibly large shoes to fill

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
efin98
Member # 1943

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for efin98     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been waiting to vent over the new logo so here it is: i never got the meaning of the new logo, it just seemed too bland and not worthy of being on a national train network.
you are right Dilly,the old logo had power. it was bright, had meaning, and was unique. I could understand putting the new logo on the Acela Expresses, but come on. They should think about going back to the old logo. let this new one die out along with the Acela name!

Posts: 55 | From: Chelsea, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like the others, I do not like the new logo, which seems very generically "New Age." It is not clear what it signifies, but then again, the pointless arrow was not exactly clear, either. The mere fact that we have such a thread here is evidence of that.

I would say that the solution lies somewhere in the middle. The original logo fulfilled the basic functions of any logo--as Dilly so humorously explained--except for the possible complaint that its relationship to railroading was not clear. But it COULD be easily identified at a distance, which is not, I fear, something that could be said of the current logo.

OTOH, the typeface of the current AMTRAK name is a much-needed overhaul of the old, very seventies, type of font. Though I originally disliked the current paint phase, familiarity is causing it to grow on me, and the colors seem more modern. And modernity, while not always a great thing, is definitely a concept that trains in general, and Amtrak in particular, need desperately.

So I would vote for a return to the pointless arrow, perhaps with a train superimposed on it, all with a larger size word AMTRAK, font in the current style.

Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superliner
Member # 1670

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superliner   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the new logo, but I don't think I was around the old one long enough to fall in love with it. The Phase V P-40/42/32 locomotives against the Phase IVb cars I think look good. The red/white/blue was getting old and too '80's.
Posts: 33 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken V
Member # 1466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken V     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This isn't the first time this topic was discussed. For an older perspective see ==> What was wrong with the Pointless Arrow?

[This message has been edited by Ken V (edited 03-01-2003).]

Posts: 149 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
re: "I remember reading that the graphic design hired to create the logo (people get paid for this?) tried to sell a similar version to the newly merged Burlington Northern in 1970."

It's a safe bet that if Amtrak had rejected the current "wave," the design firm would have sold it to Clairol or Toyota six months later.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 03-01-2003).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little Mazda Truck
Member # 509

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Little Mazda Truck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone else think that the new logo is similar to that of Bank of America?
Posts: 7 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Little Mazda Truck wrote: "Does anyone else think that the new logo is similar to that of Bank of America?"

I had never looked TOO closely at Amtrak's new logo, so today I stared at it for awhile, and noticed that the top and bottom sections of it start to "fold upwards", forming a "wall" around the "rails" in the middle. Maybe there's more to the logo than a casual glance provides. Anyone else see this, or is it still just another "modern logo?"

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Think that's bad? Take a look at www.railtrack.co.uk. Notice anything familiar?

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page