RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » International » Moved By Steam. ..............

Author Topic: Moved By Steam. ..............
Roger Farnworth
Member # 197595

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roger Farnworth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have just finished reading the first of two volumes by Richard Inwood and Mike Smith. It is a Silver Link publication. This is just a short review of the book. ...

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2020/12/10/moved-by-steam-by-richard-inwood-and-mike-smith

"Published by Silver Link Publishing Ltd in 2009, this excellent book is made up of the personal reflections of the two authors on their memories of following steam as teenagers in the years 1962 to 1967. This was a particularly poignant time in the life of Britain's railways as the Modernisation Plan saw the relatively rapid demise of steam power. ...."

Posts: 329 | From: Ashton-under-Lyne, Manchester, UK. | Registered: Dec 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reverend Farnsworth, When I first set foot in the Mother Country during July '60, steam was quite alive and well starting with the "Boat Train" from Southampton to Waterloo.

When I next returned during May '71, it was a "where's steam"? All I can recall seeing it ever existed was a Water Plug at Doncaster.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roger Farnworth
Member # 197595

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roger Farnworth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the last mainline scheduled Steam was in the Northwest of England in August 1968
Posts: 329 | From: Ashton-under-Lyne, Manchester, UK. | Registered: Dec 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page