RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » International » Railway News from Uganda and Kenya ... February 2024

Author Topic: Railway News from Uganda and Kenya ... February 2024
Roger Farnworth
Member # 197595

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roger Farnworth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Railway news from East Africa in 2023 and early 2024. ....

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2024/02/10/february-2024-recent-relatively-recent-news-about-the-railways-of-kenya-and-uganda-metre-gauge-and-standard-gauge/

Posts: 409 | From: Telford, Shropshire, UK. | Registered: Dec 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rev. Farnsworth, while the journey from Rosenheim to Munich was only 66 klicks, it was long enough to have a seatmate with the Ugandan Transport Ministry, and a graduate of the London School of Economics, to share a thought or two with me, after she learned that I have railroad within my CV.

She said they have big plans for their railroads, freight and passenger, which had largely been untouched since the British built them during the 19th century.

She further asked me why no electrification in the States? I said we have it for passenger trains between Boston and Washington, but beyond that, really none. I told her my railroad had about 650 miles of it, but scrapped it.

Munich was all too soon with this interesting gal. But contrasting her happy talk with this Wiki article, there's a long way to go.

But considering, Reverend, that 80% of the Ugandan population that profess to have a faith, are either Anglican or Roman Catholic, might you have a "second calling" down there?

Posts: 10583 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roger Farnworth
Member # 197595

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roger Farnworth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to hear from you Gilbert.

I worked in Uganda for a few months in the 1990s and travel there about once in three years.

Best wishes

Roger

Posts: 409 | From: Telford, Shropshire, UK. | Registered: Dec 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page