RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » International » The Death of Berths - Economist

Author Topic: The Death of Berths - Economist
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At a blog sponsored by The Economist, this short yet interesting piece appears:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/gulliver/2014/12/sleeper-trains

Brief passage:

• THINK Agatha Christie and the Orient Express. Or James Bond returning from Russia with love (and Tatiana Romanova). Or perhaps Tony Curtis in drag, wooing an unsuspecting Marilyn Monroe. Sleeper trains occupy a romantic corner of travellers’ souls.

But we are not quite fond enough of them, it seems, actually to ride them. This week, the Paris-to-Berlin sleeper pulled into an early morning Hauptbahnhof station for the last time. Competition from low-cost airlines has put paid to the service which has run, in varying guises, since before the second world war. Flying between continental Europe’s two major capitals, travellers have noticed, is usually cheaper than the €140 ($175) or so that the train charges; it is also always quicker than the 13 hours it takes. The result was annual losses of €20m on the route says Deutsche Bahn

If the overnight sleeper in Europe for journeys in the range of 500 miles is "going-going", how could there ever expect to be consideration of reviving North American services such as Boston-Washington or Toronto-Montreal?

Some of the reader comments are quite mature and respectful.

Finally, the pictured sleeper is a BREL Mark IIIa which could only be considered as an ill-timed railway equipment order:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleeper_Either_Class

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dns8560
Member # 15184

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dns8560     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are so many journeys I will never get to make. For me, the destination is rarely any higher in priority than then the trip itself. (The lack of urgency I possess has indeed troubled certain superiors.) Urban destinations themselves are becoming quite generic now as well.

--------------------
Everybody has to believe in something. I believe I'll take the train!

Posts: 230 | From: Ithaca, New York | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thirteen hours for 500 miles? That seems slow. $175 seems quite cheap as well. I had the impression that gas in Europe was quite expensive, which would make the price proportionally even cheaper.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MargaretSPfan
Member # 3632

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MargaretSPfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dns8560 --
I completely agree with you about the journey being as important is the destination. I, too, greatly detest the cookie-cutter sameness that has afflicted our world in recent decades.

And -- what's the all-fired rush? What's the point of going on vacation if you cannot slow down and enjoy yourself?

I know all about the economic issues, but, still -- if people can afford vacations, they ought to be able to afford to take the train.

How sad sleepers are going away in Europe.....

Posts: 211 | From: California | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniel3197
Member # 27

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniel3197     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeeze What better and HUMAN things could we do with our time and travels.
We all need (DESERVE) to see and learn about our beautiful world and it's history and cultures. This is done best by classic rail travel (edit).

---- Daniel

Posts: 283 | From: Palo Alto,CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2820274/Scotland-s-Caledonian-Sleeper-train-named-one-unforgettable-rail-adventures-world.html

Likely some here have heard of the TRAINS jinx, such as how during October 1967, comes an article extolling the Kansas City Southern for their statement "We have no intention of dropping our passenger service", and in my case, the day that TRAINS arrived, I pick up the Wall Street Journal (I was serving in Vietnam at that time) and there is an article saying KCS was going to do just that.

The linked Daily Mail article should be an "unjinx" of the earlier Economist material.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page