RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » International » Trip Report: Australia's Indian Pacific

Author Topic: Trip Report: Australia's Indian Pacific
aus_train
Member # 197810

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for aus_train   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All
I was lucky enough to get to ride on the Indian Pacific for its 50th anniversary train. I wrote a trip log I'll copy the link for if anyone is interested!

https://trainreview.com/article/all-aboard-the-indian-pacifics-50th-anniversary-train

--------------------
Memma
Train Lover and Avid Traveller!

Posts: 22 | From: Melbourne | Registered: Jul 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With a Niece permanently living near Sydney (Pymble), there is always the possibility I could visit Australia. But with COVID, and "back to normal" not until, my guess, '22 when I'm 81yo, it's kind of a "long shot" to think of.

The NSW Trainlink State operated intercity services, such as Sydney-Melbourne do not seem like an experiential journey of any kind. The private sector Indian Pacific certainly does.

Additionally, the Googlemobile drove me by the East Perth station. Not sure if it is quite Stalin-era, or for that matter, much "postwar on the quick" throughout Europe. But I agree it has hardly the class of the Freemantle Station which Mr. Google also included during his drive by.

Finally, the Sydney Central Station, if I ever am to "come on down", I could well see, even if just riding in from Pymble or Chatswood, which appears cloest to Pymble with hotels I would consider staying at. But really, I must question if I will ever make that trip. COVID will be with us through most of '21, and in '22, I'll be 81yo. And even though I would fly in not less than Business Class, one simply must think twice about such a bodily taxing trip at that age. Even if I only sleep, in Business Class, a "wink or two" Eastward to Europe, and none whatever WW, ten hours is manageable. Can't be too sure about 22hr.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aus_train
Member # 197810

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for aus_train   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope you make it down - it's a really amazing place and lots of great trains!

I've actually written most of the content for TrainReview on Australia / NZ if you're interested check it out:

https://trainreview.com/region/australia-nz/australia

It has a lot of my pics as well!

Agree NSW TrainLink isn't anything that special [Smile]
The Indian Pacific is my pick thought - it's a really great trip!

I really hope you make it down - I'm sure you'll love it!

--------------------
Memma
Train Lover and Avid Traveller!

Posts: 22 | From: Melbourne | Registered: Jul 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had one shot at it, in 1971. I chose to take my R&R from Nam in Australia. My plan was to spend the first night in Sydney and ride trains. However, the army had other plans. You were required to pay your hotel in full for all nights when you got there. I do see the reason for that. Most of the guys would have spent all they had on "wine, women, and song" as fast as they could do it and spend the rest of their stay sleeping in the street. I think the Indian Pacific was new that year or shortly before. It would not have been on my list of possibilities anyway, but a trip to Melbourne and possibly Brisbane were. I got as far as Canberra, north to the end of electrification, and then west into the mountains. This was in July and I was freezing, so my first purchase there was a jacket. The locals looked at me like I was crazy running around in a jacket, but after 5 months in the tropics anything under about 75F was cold. The highlight of my stay was actually the zoo. Australian wildlife is truly another planet.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page