RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Steam Locomotives » US Steam Loco brakes

Author Topic: US Steam Loco brakes
WHRJamesFR
Member # 3908

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for WHRJamesFR   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Question? What is the orthodox form of brakes used on US Steam locos, are they Vac or Air?
Posts: 2 | From: Wales | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Air.

So far as I know vacuum brakes were never used in North America.

Earliest brakes were a hand applied mechanical linkage.

Legal requirement for trainlined air brakes began with the Railway Safety Applkiance Act of 1895. I believe that it required all trains to be so equipped by 1913. There may have been extensions, but so far as I know by end of WWI there was no unbraked stock in service except on non-ICC regulated lumber lines and such like.

George

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pjb
Member # 2671

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pjb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vacuum brakes were used primarily on industrial
railroads and on mass transit operations primarily
in North America.
However, many commuter operators ran locos equipped with both forms of brakes.

They are not mutually exclusive, so the Reading for example, would make use of the quick acting vacuum ejector to increase braking efficiency
on trains required to make many stops while running rapidly over a transit district.
To my knowledge, and it may not be complete,
there were not trainsets equipped with both
types of brakes.
In other words, you either had dual systems
only on the prime mover, or not at all-I ken.
Electric elevated lines were earliest
wide scale users of vacuum brakes.
Good-Luck, Peter Boylan

Posts: 12 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page