RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Steam Locomotives » Current costs of steam versus diesel.

Author Topic: Current costs of steam versus diesel.
will_e_777
Member # 4599

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for will_e_777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am currently working on a project that compares the current cost of what it would take to build, operate, and maintain a steam powered locomotive of comparable power to that of the current cost of building, operating, maintaining a current diesel-electric locomotive. I've found quite a bit of information, but it is quite overwhelming and any help from the forum members will be appreciated.

-will_e_777

--------------------
It appears to me there can't be too many guys driving around this valley with an ape.

Posts: 3 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Will_e

I see you, too, are here in Denver (I am up on the North side). I have found the guys at the library at the railroad museum out in Golden to be very helpful with a variety of questions. You might try there, as well, if you have the opportunity.

Seems to me cost is only one of many problematic factors - pollution, weight, smoke in tunnels.

Good luck. Please let us know what you come up with.

Ira

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MakeChooChooGoNow
Member # 4623

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MakeChooChooGoNow   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As attractive as steam engines are, they would lose out due to not having dynamic brakes.

Dynamic brakes are a major savings on wheel/brake shoe wear and tear.

--------------------
- Harvey Henkelman, Ferroequinologist

Posts: 4 | From: Along the S Line in central Florida at MP S836.18 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, old thread. As far as diesel-electrics go, dynamic braking applies solely to the locomotive, specifically the traction motors. And there is a counterpart on steam locomotives called countersteam braking.

A man named Abner Doble was experimenting with a number of technologies to improve steam efficiency. He worked on a German locomotive with steam motors, one for each driving axle, combined with steam condensing; the improved performance and efficiency on the road of course did not mitigate the inherent need for frequent maintenance.

Regrettably, the infrastructure that made steam traction viable in terms of economies of scale are now gone; it would not be possible to reduce down time as in the past when a locomotive could be filled with hot water and have steam from the roundhouse generator fed into the boiler and pressurized in order to have a pre-heated unit ready for the road in far shorter order than if fired from cold.

Posts: 584 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page