RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Steam Locomotives » Union Pacific Steam

Author Topic: Union Pacific Steam
railfannw
Member # 131107

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for railfannw         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
4014 is getting worked on 844 is also getting worked on not sure of 844 will do any excursion runs this year maybe this year any locomotives besides the ones in Cheyenne being worked on ? Is the turn table in Cheyenne big enough to fit 4014 ?
Posts: 16 | Registered: Dec 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MargaretSPfan
Member # 3632

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MargaretSPfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AFAIK, the Cheyenne turntable is big enough, as long as there is nothing closer than around 3 or 4 feet to the turntable. Big Boys fit, but they extend over the edge of that turntable.

Don't look for any of the 3 steam locomotives in Cheyenne to run -- for a long time. Not possible with the current management and crew. Sorry to be the bearer of sad news, but that is what I have read from reliable sources.

This year -- 2016 -- may be the very first year since the end of the steam era that no steam locomotive turns a wheel under its own steam on any main line in the US. I very much hope to be proven wrong, but what with the very high cost of liability insurance and passenger-car rental, this may actually happen. Some sources say the NS will not renew its liability insurance policy for passenger excursions for this year. That would be a real shame, as 2016 marks the 50th anniversary of NS steam. Or so I have read.

NS's revenues from coal are down 31% from a year ago, which is quite significant, as coal has always been an important sources of revenue to the NS. Blame the low cost of natural gas for that, and the low cost for imported crude oil.

I very much hope to be wrong about main line steam. That would make me -- and a lot of people -- very, very happy.

Posts: 211 | From: California | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page