RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Forum Information » Suggestions and Comments » Inappropriate Comment Delete request

Author Topic: Inappropriate Comment Delete request
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moderator:

Please delete the post by Gilbert Norman, 6/21/04 under the AMTRAK Forum thread: 'Leaving Tuesday for DC'. It contains the following comment which I think is racist and inflammatory:

"... those r@ghe@ds that wanted to go meet Allah anyway...."

Certainly comments about other religious or ethnic groups would not and ought not be tolerated.

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree!!! This is a totally inappropriate comment. On this board or any board.
Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr Norman is one of the most knowledgeable
and articulate contributors to this forum.

He is right on to label the disgusting swine
who attempted to wreck havoc on our nations
capitol in any manner that portrays these
lower forms of of the human species for what they are, dispicable, contemptable wretches
who have no identity with any other than their own mistaken interpretation of the Islamic faith. True belivers in the Islamic faith have themselves denounced this cowardly
and insane attempt to control all others with their violence.

Those who would defend them are either with them, or are so niave that they should should be ignored.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with RRChina, I believe Mr. Norman to be one of the most knowledgable contributors on this forum.

I suppose a term such as "numbskull" or some other generic term might be less offensive, but in this case Mr. Norman is referring to a specific group of men of Middle Eastern descent who targeted the US because of who we are and what we believe in.

Flight 93 has forever changed "the rules" for those of us who fly and are subject to the risk of a hi-jacking. In the past, the 'advice' was to cooperate with the hi-jackers. Today, the advice is 'assess the situation and react appropriately'. In other words...FIGHT BACK IF YOU HAVE TO!

{I know this is somewhat off topic but it is something I feel strongly about}

MP

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agree with RRCHINA, MPALMER. "Tolerance" should not mean being unable to describe things as they are. People of the mindset to go out blindly killing should be treated like the rabid cannines they are. They deserve no respect of any kind from anybody anywhere. Anyone or group who thinks they are making political statements by random killing does not rate any form of hearing by anyone anywhere, but instead should be treated like the criminally insane. Actually, Mr. Norman was being quite polite, considering all things.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My final post on this subject.

I am neither "with them" nor "naive".

I do know that the use of derogatory names for ethnic or religious groups is not acceptable no matter what some in that group may have done. I also know better than paint everyone in a group with such a wide brush --- which name calling in this manner does.

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman was certainly not applying his sentiment to the entire religious or national or ethnic group. I read it as solely being directed towards those terrorists. (I can call them terrorists, can't I?)

Incidentally, the other day Neil Boortz pointed out that they do not wear rags on their heads. Rather, they are small sheets.

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't this country wonderful. We can whine about the most trivial things because we don't have to worry about the big things (food, shelter, clothing).

Calling the people that want to kill us "r@ghe@ds" is, in the grand scheme of things, inconsequential.

I'd like to call them "deceased".

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 3267

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 6088     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the "Whimpification of America" (I prefer a different term, but keeping it cleaner here). We seem to be turning into a country of people who have nothing better to do than to find things to compain about.

I personally saw nothing wrong with the post, it was clearly aimed at those people who were responsible for the 911 disaster. I don't think there are words too strong to describe them.

Posts: 7 | From: San Diego, Ca, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DeeCT, unless you consider murderers an ethnic group, neither Mr. Norman nor I were referring to these presumably-biologically-human entities derogatorily because of their ethnicity. If you consider murderers a religious group, then, yes, we are guilty of referring to them derogatorily because of their religion, and I at least will continue to do so regardless of whether they are the Jihadists of today or the burners of heretics in the Middle Ages in Europe or the individual nuts that thinks they are hearing the voice of God telling them to go out and kill someone. There are certain activities no one should be allowed to use “religion” to justify.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boyishcolt
Member # 3001

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for boyishcolt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw nothing wrong with the post.
Sometimes Mr.Norman speaks in Allan Greenspan language so i think you should just re-read the post and i think you will see there is nothing wrong with it

Posts: 193 | From: illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have edited the posting, is everybody happy?
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Mr. Norman:

Sorry to see you bow to the pressure.

George Harris

Cthetrains
Member # 2148

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cthetrains     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sheesh!!!!..it's simple..maybe some things should not be posted, but if it offends you, don't read it...as for the people posting things of that nature, please be try not to get TOO 'obscene', thank you.
Posts: 140 | From: Kirksville, Mo | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page