RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Forum Information » Suggestions and Comments » Question: Why is the word D-O-G forbidden?

Author Topic: Question: Why is the word D-O-G forbidden?
Ken V
Member # 1466

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Ken V     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This long-standing phenomenon showed up once again recently in the Amtrak forum when someone commented about not being able to order a "hot ***" at dinner (while hotdog would be okay). I've always wondered why this particular word would be asterisked out - never noted any other words so treated.

Anyone have an answer?

--------------------
Any time could be train time!

Posts: 149 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know why, but apparently The Trainweb Computer Brain finds the word profane. Its been in the system for so long that I've developed a bit of affection for the little quirk. I'd hate to see it go.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dearly beloved Newfoundland is looking down from his "perch" where he has been since Sep 12, 2003 and is wondering WHY?
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always assumed that the reason is that word can be an insult. Calling someone a d-o-g is not complimentary. This nonsense was obviously decide by a non canine lover. I'm with youMr. Norman, our 2 much loved and missed pets are sitting with yours and feeling very insulted.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is to good an opening to miss: Perhaps a dyslexic atheist programmer was involved.

Having said that, I am with Mr. Toy. Kinda fond of the old idiosyncratic program. Not that I am not fond of canines as well. I am a former animal shelter employee and still active in animal welfare.

Ira

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian R.
Member # 4563

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian R.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haha that is pretty funny. My d-o-g is afraid of my trains. She does not like the loud bells and whistles.
Posts: 6 | From: Hatfield, Pa | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page