RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » Split Chassis Locos

Author Topic: Split Chassis Locos
Cthetrains
Member # 2148

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Cthetrains     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read something about a "split-chassis loco" in another post, and was wondering, how long have I been out of the hobby?

Could someone please throw me a bone here?

pleeeease?

------------------
Cory (o:}=

Posts: 140 | From: Kirksville, Mo | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Challenger
Member # 1298

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Challenger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Split Chassis Locos are locos that have the frame and motor and truck mounts inside one big heavy weight that is split down the middle. The weight is typicly made out of a dense metal similar to lead. Its exact composistion is not known to me at the present time. The weight is shaped to conform to the inside of the body shell which goes over it. On the inside are cavities that support the motor, drive train, and trucks. These are typicly split down the middle. Hence the name split chassis. They are mainly used in N scale where the extra weight offered by such an arrangment is neccessary. It can also be Found in several HO switchers and Kato has been using the arrangment on all their big SD locos as of late.
Posts: 315 | From: Lander,WY USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cthetrains
Member # 2148

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cthetrains     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, so it's a split-weight, not the chassis itself..thanks, Rick

------------------

Posts: 140 | From: Kirksville, Mo | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rfcomm2k
Member # 2282

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rfcomm2k   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it is not just a "split weight". It serves as the chassis to which the motors and trucks mount.
Posts: 8 | From: Coatesville,PA,USA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cthetrains
Member # 2148

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cthetrains     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's just a mutation of the old HO scale 'heavyweights'; that had a weight inside which covered the entire motor coil assembly, and part of the drive gear. The one's that drove us crazy trying to file them down for some of the directional lighting kits that were available at the time. Am I right?
------------------

[This message has been edited by Cthetrains (edited 02-05-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Cthetrains (edited 02-05-2003).]

Challenger
Member # 1298

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Challenger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't know about those lighting kits. I am only 20 years old. As such I can make no comparison between what is a available then and now. Though I am activly looking for model railraod equipment from "back in the day" as it were, because on my layout I am doing the uniqe thing of not only showing the state of railroading in a particular time period, but the state of Model Railroading for a similar vintage as well. So all you guys with old trains to sell, Give me an email and we can work something out. (Interest in purchase will be directly proportional to fundage on hand.)
Posts: 315 | From: Lander,WY USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cthetrains
Member # 2148

Rate Member
what was that "only 20" crack...I just turned 28

I coulda swore you were older than me...maybe 30 or 35 at least..

------------------

Challenger
Member # 1298

Rate Member
WOW!!. I could have swore you were older than me. Of coarse I guess we have to overcome the long held stereo type that all the remaining model railroaders are in their 70s and the new guys that enter the hobby will take a while to catch on. Sounds like the two of us break that mold easily eneugh. By the way, Alot of my extensive model railroading knowledge comes from the fact that I have been nearly continuously active in the model railroading hobby since the age of 4!!!!
rfcomm2k
Member # 2282

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for rfcomm2k   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, whats that crack about all the "remaining model railroaders" being in their 70's! I am only 47. Challenger, HO or N?
Posts: 8 | From: Coatesville,PA,USA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Challenger
Member # 1298

Rate Member
I practice my craft in HO and G scale Live steam
Cthetrains
Member # 2148

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Cthetrains     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rfcomm2k:
Hey, whats that crack about all the "remaining model railroaders" being in their 70's! I am only 47. Challenger, HO or N?

I think he was referring to the average age of a model railroader at heart; and he meant 7.0, not 70, right Challenger?

Wow, Challenger, live steam?..the kids skipped the preliminaries and headed straight for the gold..I'm impressed, (not to mention a tad jealous)

------------------

Challenger
Member # 1298

Rate Member
You can thank my grandfather for the Live steam. He is quite an avid miniature steam enthusiast. Its not limited to trains iether. He also has miniature steam tractors, miniature steam cars. A steam donkey with miniature farm and logging impliments for it to operate. The mini sawmill actually works. We had fun cutting up basswood into HO scale ties one time with it.

I am trying to build my own mini-steamer. The prototype is Black Hills Central Railroad 2-6-2T #107. But I have been at it for 5 years and have only got the frame done. (And thats the fairly easy part)

As for the age in the stereo type, I was refering to the average age of the writing staff at Model Railroader.

Shaun CN
Member # 2366

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaun CN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HEy gusse how old I am?
Posts: 49 | From: Sarnia,Ontario,Canada | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Challenger
Member # 1298

Rate Member
10!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

15!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

20!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

That should get me in the ball park.

How close did I get?

James.

Cthetrains
Member # 2148

Rate Member
Shaun...I'd say you are probably between the ages of, oh, maybe 10 and let's say 90.

close?

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page