RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » Kadee Installation

Author Topic: Kadee Installation
BIG SARGE
Member # 2328

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIG SARGE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best method of installing Kadee #5s or #58s on Athearn Rolling Stock??
Posts: 13 | From: Richmond Hill, Ga, USA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roger Hensley
Member # 1374

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roger Hensley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depends upon which Athearn you are taking about. In any case, take a look at: http://www.nmra.org/beginner/couplers.html

And see if that helps.

Roger

Posts: 80 | From: Anderson, IN USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BIG SARGE
Member # 2328

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIG SARGE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Roger. Thanks for responding.
Specifically-a 40' Steel/wood. I am not comfortable with the amount of play if it is simply installed over the stock counter post. The Kadee web site recommends a "20 series thin wall bushing". I am not sure if that refers to a bushing from a 20 series coupler, or is this a seperate part altogether

Posts: 13 | From: Richmond Hill, Ga, USA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Walsh
Member # 677

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Walsh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe this will help.
On the www.kadee.com home page scroll down to MISC, then down to kadee handouts and click.

Then scroll down to the 20 series and click.
You need acrobat reader to open this file up.
This opens into two pages of all the 20 series couplers-pictures-specs.

If this does not help then go to www.kadee.com/conv/list.htm and verify recommended coupler.

Then again back to www.kadee.com, under product #1-79 CLICK.

Then click on the appropriate coupler # and up pops an exploded picture-descriptions-specs.

Sorry about the four, now five thens, but there's a lot of exceptions.

You can also e-mail KD and they will answer our question.

Posts: 213 | From: Grand Rapids Mi USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roger Hensley
Member # 1374

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roger Hensley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ALso, you can always shave the coupler pocket off of the car and replace it with a Kadee box. :-)

Roger

Posts: 80 | From: Anderson, IN USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cthetrains
Member # 2148

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cthetrains     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If all else fails, cut the spring-tab from a spare pocket spring, (the square metal ones), and glue it to the side of the coupler pocket that will allow the coupler to stick out the straightest without tension on it.

------------------
Cory (o:}=

Posts: 140 | From: Kirksville, Mo | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BIG SARGE
Member # 2328

Rate Member
Thanks to all who responded. I guess I'm just being a little anal over the slop in the coupler. I will try to fabricate a bushing to eliminate the slop. If not, so much for the easy road- I'll cut the frame and install the Kadee box.
Thanks for y'alls input!!

Russ Bellinis
Member # 2377

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ Bellinis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing I do with Athearn coupler pockets when installing KD's in the stock Athearn pocket is to drill a hole in the center of the post, and run a screw in after the thing is assembled to keep the stock Athearn clip from falling off.
Posts: 70 | From: Lakewood, California, U.S.A. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page