RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Light Rail and Transit » NY subway photo blog

Author Topic: NY subway photo blog
Steve Dunham
Member # 924

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Steve Dunham   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A photographer, Travis Ruse, has a blog of his commute from Brooklyn to Manhattan on the subway. The photos are outstanding--mostly people, but also stations, trains, the whole environment. I think this guy will be famous someday.

His website is http://www.travisruse.com/

Posts: 77 | From: Spotsylvania, VA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rY.
Member # 3528

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rY.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder what he does when the Camera Police tell him that, in the interests of "national security", he's not allowed to take photographs on the subway.

*grumblemutterstupidnon-lawsgrumblemutter*

Posts: 108 | From: Culver City, CA, US | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rY.
Member # 3528

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rY.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watch me answer my own question, from his FAQ:

Do you ever get hasseled by the NYPD or MTA for taking photos?

Yes, they are trying to outlaw photography in the subway. Yes, I get stopped every couple of days. I’ve taken to carrying a print out of the current Rules of Conduct, which dictates the photo laws. So now when I get stopped, I can almost always talk my way through it. It’s just annoying. My issue with this proposed photography ban is that as a photographer, I’m the best eyes the MTA could hope for on the train. So why tell me to stop looking? I used to plug into my music, bury my head in the newspaper, and tune everything out. Not now. I’ve even started to recognize more and more of my fellow commuters and train conductors. I’ve had passengers who have seen me before ask if I work for the MTA and could I help them. (No, I don’t know who to talk to when there is no heat on the 7 line. Sorry ma'am.)

Posts: 108 | From: Culver City, CA, US | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SubwayNut
Member # 3948

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SubwayNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I just joined, had to post here:

I am an avid railfan, and live in New York, I have taken a ton of photos on the subway, and have gotten told that what I was doing was illegal once, and that was by an MTA employee. I am a little careful and avoid photographing the fronts of trains stopped in statinos. (Twice I have heard "I don't want to see my face up all over the internets", and "That was disrespectful." and other questionable looks from T/Os) Photography though leagal on the MTA is for all amature forms illegal on PATH. (I have taken a few illegal pictures), and on NJ Transit property without a free permit (You're fine without as long as your not at major stations.)

--------------------
Visit my trains and subways website: www.subwaynut.com (It has more then just subways!)

Posts: 38 | From: Manhattan, NY/Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the memories. Many years ago (1960's) before the the F line was in Brooklyn it was used by The D train. The Kings Highway station was my stop. I used to exit at the Ave.S end because I lived between Ave.S and Ave.T. It brought back many fond memories. The D train ran from Stillwell to 205th St. I think the cars were the R-9's.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Following the 2nd London Terrorist attack NYPD began doing random bag search and people survaliance. I say GOOOOOOD. i haven't heard any stories of Terrorists asking for a show of ACLU Membership cards and letting those "I feel your painers" go before detonating, hijack, blowing up flying into office towers and God knows what next mass killings. And yes being a Old White Male I will volunteer for a search in order to keep the numbers within non-profiling curves.
Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D. David
Member # 4055

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for D. David     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a great talent. I've never seen him, but I don't travel Brooklyn and lower Manhattan, where many of these appear to have been taken.

The law hasn't passed yet. I sometimes take pics with my Pocket PC, but that barely gets noticed since most people realize I'm taking pictures.

Posts: 64 | From: NYC (NYP) | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page