RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Model Railroading » Electronics and DCC » Varney F3 Brute

Author Topic: Varney F3 Brute
rhkhw1
Member # 3103

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for rhkhw1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have two A and two B Varney Locomotives that are called the Brute, as I understand that indicates that they have both the drive engine and the front trucks are powered by connecting the motor to the front drive wheels. These units date back to the fifties and were bought by my father. They were never run to my knowledge and have been in storage for about 45 years. My problem is this. They were never wired up and I have tried wiring them and can't get them running. If I take the unit out of the frame and ground a wire to the rail the engine goes like a bat out of &%##. When I put it back into the frame I cannot get any of the unit to run. Did I mention that both the A and B units are powered. They are gear driven with fiber not plastic gears. The lower units are all metal and brass. All engines are currently in their die cast state unfinished. I do not have any instructions on how to wire these. I am also just getting back into HO so I am a novice when it come to the electrical side of engines. Any ideas???? HELP

------------------

Posts: 1 | From: birmingham, AL USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emdman1959
Member # 2687

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for emdman1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm surprized no one has been able to help you out yet. I just noticed your post. I have been into model railroading for 25 yrs more or less but am not familiar with your particular engines. If by cahnce you could email me a pic of the engines I will look and see if there is anything I can you with. I have repowered and restored many an engine in my yrs. Jut recently I completely restored a set of lionel 2023's for a fellow at work. Hopefully I will be able to help you out also. My email address is sspazian@twcny.rr.com.
Hope I can help.

Posts: 11 | From: watertown NY USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug F
Member # 3127

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug F     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have some old Varney F3s also. Maybe I can help.

These units have only a two wheel pickup on each engine. One truck is connected to one side of the motor and the other truck to the other brush. You need to be sure that each truck has the insulated side of each wheel on the same side and that the insulated wheels of the other truck are on the other side.

It sounds like you may have all the insulated wheels on the same side on both trucks. If you had the insulated sides opposite each other it would generate a short. The other thing to check is that the trucks are insulated from the frame. I'm working from memory but if these things don't work I'll dig the units out and try to guide you.

If you have not done so, lubricate the motor bearings and the gears before operating. They are probabley dry by now if you haven't lubed them.

Doug

Posts: 2 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug F
Member # 3127

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug F     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have some old Varney F3s also. Maybe I can help.

These units have only a two wheel pickup on each engine. One truck is connected to one side of the motor and the other truck to the other brush. You need to be sure that each truck has the insulated side of each wheel on the same side and that the insulated wheels of the other truck are on the other side.

It sounds like you may have all the insulated wheels on the same side on both trucks. If you had the insulated sides opposite each other it would generate a short. The other thing to check is that the trucks are insulated from the frame. I'm working from memory but if these things don't work I'll dig the units out and try to guide you.

If you have not done so, lubricate the motor bearings and the gears before operating. They are probabley dry by now if you haven't lubed them.

Doug

Posts: 2 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page