RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Model Railroading » Electronics and DCC » Remote Controled locomotives

Author Topic: Remote Controled locomotives
Shaun CN
Member # 2366

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Shaun CN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know how to model a remote controled locomotive like the ones that CSX uses in their yards. From what I have been able to find is that these locomotives have had their prime movers taken out and remote control technology put inside. Also does anyone know why they paint the cab roofs white. And why they put a samll flashing light o them? Just wondering if anyone knew about these locos as I am trying to model one in ho scale. I have also noticed that hey removed the ditch lights. Why?

here are some pics I have found: http://www.trainweb.org/csxphotos/photos/RCPHE4/9119CSX-o.jpg http://www.trainweb.org/csxphotos/photos/RCPHE4/9120cs.jpg http://www.trainweb.org/csxphotos/photos/RCPHE4/9122cs.jpg http://www.trainweb.org/csxphotos/photos/RCPHE4/9123CSX-yb.jpg

thank you for your help
ShaunCN

Posts: 49 | From: Sarnia,Ontario,Canada | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ Bellinis
Member # 2377

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ Bellinis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think they would have the prime movers removed, then the best they would be is a slug. They probably have the cab interiors gutted and the controls replaced with the remote control stuff. I suspect the ditch lights are removed because they aren't needed in the yard. I suspect the painted roofs and the roof flashers are there to warn other employees that these units are remote control and not manned by an engineer.
Posts: 70 | From: Lakewood, California, U.S.A. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emdman1959
Member # 2687

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for emdman1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shaun I work for CSX as an engineer and quite often get to run the rco locomotives when they're electronics fail and they have to use a real engineer to get the job done
the main spotting difference on an rco engine is on the right hand side of the short hood. CSX has installed a small box to the right hand side to house some of the electronics, it has 2 doors on it and starts about 1/2 way up the hood and sticks up about 2 inches over the top and is squared off on the top. The ones we have in dewitt yard are old gp38's that were going to the scrap pile, but CSX decided to turn them into rco engines incase the technology was no good, then they would not have butchered a good loco to do that to.
you will also need to install antenn'a on tp of the loco for the signals from the operator.
from what I hear CSX is toying with the idea of using old road slugs to put the rco equipment into that way they will be able to use it with any loco they want to.
Persoanlly i don't like the rco engines as one man (a good friend of mine has already lost his life using it) als the technology is slower than using a real engineer, plus the railroad do not really have a set set of rules to fully govern it operation. So there you have it in a nut shell shaun hop it helps.

Posts: 11 | From: watertown NY USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emdman1959
Member # 2687

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for emdman1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also shaun they have left the control stands and all other associated controls in the engines incase they have to use them in regular service, and yes they do have flashing orange lights on the sides of the cab roof to warn people that it is an rco engine. they can be turned from an rco engine into a regular engine with the flip of a couple switches and an air valve.
Posts: 11 | From: watertown NY USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
conrailkid
Member # 1898

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for conrailkid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
emd man is rights of engines for rco operation, the key spotting features are the raised box on the short hoods of gp and sd series engines. i have also seen a couple of switcher engines that have been redone. also, as he mentioned, the idea was to use older equipment ready to be scrapped. while the technology still doesn't work right, csx is intent to make it fly, and more engines are being converted. the latest is taking prime movers out so that the engine is just a remote control platform, that can be couple to any other regular power for use as remote control. these units now carry numbers in the 9100 and 9200 series. the orange strobe lights are a requirement to warn other people and employess of the unoccupied engine. the white paint on the roof is kind of a joke. it was done to reflect sun off the operating cab, thus allowing it to stay cooler in the summer heat. while a good idea, since csx refuses to wash it's engines, the black exhaust soot collects on it, so it might as well be left blue, as black absorbs heat!
Posts: 85 | From: owingsmills, md. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page