RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Model Railroading » Electronics and DCC » model railway electronics

Author Topic: model railway electronics
chris.d
Member # 901

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for chris.d     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know where you can obtain simple electronic projects and circuit diagrams to liven up the model railway a little? I've found a few but am looking for more.
Posts: 8 | From: melbourne australia | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shamus
Member # 657

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for shamus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Chris,
Let me know what sort of simple electronic projects you are looking for, and I will have a look for you.

Cheers
Shamus

Posts: 79 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chris.d
Member # 901

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chris.d     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
G'day Shamus
I guess for a start I was looking for basic LED or lighting circuits. I am hoping to make my scenery a little more animated, instead of being so static.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks
Chris.
*How do you attach photos to what you write here?

Posts: 8 | From: melbourne australia | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike C
Member # 35

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mike C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kalmbach carries a couple of books. One of them is for easy electronic projects. I think its called Simple Electronic Projects for Model Railroaders, or something along those lines.HTH.....Mike
Posts: 97 | From: Columbus Ohio USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chris.d
Member # 901

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chris.d     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the tip Mike
I'II keep a look out for them. I'II have to ask a couple of the MR shops around the place if they can order them in.Unfortuately our supply down under can be a little limited at times.

Chris

shamus
Member # 657

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for shamus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Chris, I guess that book would be your best bet.
As for adding a photo in here, first, any photo to be uploaded here or any other forum except trainorders, needs to be on a website somewhere. After that it's easy, just put img inside square brackets [ ] and at the end of the webaddress /img in square brackets [ ].
Shamus

Posts: 79 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chris.d
Member # 901

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for chris.d     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks Shamus
I'II have to give it a go at some time.

caboosehop
Member # 814

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for caboosehop   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Chris'd. Isaw your query on the forum. I live over the ditch in NZ. Iget most of my gear from Dick Smiths. I also got his electronic books on various circuits which I have put to use. I also buy some of the kits they have on sale.I have used his kits to operate grade crossing lights, bells and loco whistles and horns regardless of direction. I hope I am not to late with this info. good luck happy new year. Jimbo

------------------
10-4 JIMBO

Posts: 14 | From: Riverton, Southland, New Zealand | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
christopher.d
Member # 1139

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for christopher.d     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Jimbo
i've tried Dick Smith thanks.
But I'm still looking for other projects to make my scenes look a lillte more alive.
Thanks again
Chris

Posts: 4 | From: melbourne Australia | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cajon
Member # 40

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cajon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's just one link among many that I got by doing a browser search for "model railroad electronics." You might try doing a search for a specific project by it's name.

Posts: 249 | From: Downey CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cajon
Member # 40

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cajon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Niow the link: http://www.mrollins.com/circuit.html
Posts: 249 | From: Downey CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
christopher.d
Member # 1139

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for christopher.d     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Cajon

Looks like a good site.

Chris

Posts: 4 | From: melbourne Australia | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cthetrains
Member # 2148

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Cthetrains     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Chris...
you still want information on basic circuits for your layout? email me at Corylp@hotmail.com and I'll send a few interesting ones to work on.

------------------
Cory (o:}=

Posts: 140 | From: Kirksville, Mo | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shaun CN
Member # 2366

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Shaun CN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has any body tried the athrean locomotive constant lighting circuit project from WWW.mrollins.com Does it work for athren locomotives with the motor and gears taken out?

Thank you for you help!!

Shaun

Posts: 49 | From: Sarnia,Ontario,Canada | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page