RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Rail Industry » Why should I not join the conductor trainee program at CSX?

Author Topic: Why should I not join the conductor trainee program at CSX?
jonngunn
Member # 1810

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for jonngunn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i've heard a lot of negatives about the job and would like to know the true story before I start, Thanks.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denver
Member # 1817

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Denver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John,Conductorin'ain't what it used to be.However,if the job interests you,apply.Listen to yourself,not everybody else.Lead,don't follow.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
csx_power
Member # 1929

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for csx_power   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Denver is so right. Do what you want. Your workin not them.
Posts: 19 | From: tamaqua,pa,us | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
conrailkid
Member # 1898

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for conrailkid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
railroad jobs can be as fun or as miserable as you want them to be. i've worked for conrail, ns, and csx. conrail was the greatest, yea, you had rules to follow, but management was cool and pretty much didn't say much as long as you got your train over the road. ns- i dont even want to talk about them- hitler could have learned things from them! csx is reasonably laid back in their approach to employees. they wont fix a track for anything, but for the most part, they are pretty good to work for. the big thing with train and engine service is to get qualifyed over as much territory as possible, the more places you can go, the more trains you can get, the more money you can make- and thats what were all about. just remember- its a dangerous job, we work all sorts of crazy hours and if you're married, the wife might get bored with you not being home(many a railroader is divorced/separated). as a trainee you'll learn a lot- don't play railfan know-it-all. i didn't and have enjoyed a successful career so far. most of the foamers that hire on quit after a while because nobody will take them seriously. play dumb, learn everything you can and go with the flow- see you 30 years from now at your retirement party!
Posts: 85 | From: owingsmills, md. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Simonh
Member # 2183

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Simonh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey man, unless you have something else that you know for a fact you'll enjoy, then do it. I don't know shit about the CSX, but if you think you'll like the work, and you can handle the schedule, you shouldn't have a problem. If you decide there's too much bullshit, and there will be alot, just quit, go into another line of work. It'll be an experience, I'll tell you that. Good or bad, though, that's for you to decide.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SCL_504
Member # 2332

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SCL_504   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go for it - Trust YOUR judgement, heck if i wasnt married and had a good Fire Rescue job i promise i would be in class with you -

keep it up and keep us updated (within reason of course)

------------------
Jason Webb
SCL/CSX A Line for MSTS

Posts: 5 | From: Orlando, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LateShoreLimited
Member # 2025

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LateShoreLimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The hours is the big thing. If you can handle rotating shifts and don't have a problem sleeping at hotel and not in your own bed then go for it. If you have a spouse make sure she is aware of what the job entails. It makes life difficult trying to plan things in advance. The job fits the lifestyle of a single guy more than that of family man.
Posts: 35 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SnowbOy
Member # 2381

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for SnowbOy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To Mr.Conrailkind,

To your Knowledge of railroad work. I live in
Pensacola Florida. Ever heard of Goulding Yard. Well,I want oworkfor CCSXT I wanted to know some key things How far do you travel. since I know Crews in my area take trains from Pensacola(goulding Yard) to Defuiak Springs Fl or Chattaachhocte,Fl(how-ever-u-spell-it). I would like runnig more to Montgoery,Al and Mobile even to Birminghan,Al
Can you get certified togo that far are are
tere retrictions? Thanks ConrailKid~

Posts: 4 | From: Pensacola,Fl Escambia County | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
conrailkid
Member # 1898

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for conrailkid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello snowboy!
i am not familiar with the runs in the south, as i work in the mid-atlantic region. do you know of anyone who works for csx in the area? if so, they might know about the runs down there. you could also stop into the yard office and talk with some of the trainmen. you may get some laughs, but you'll come away with some knowledge of what goes on. i can tell you from my experience, that as a new hire, you don't really get your own choice of runs. and if you go through csx conductor school, you might not even go to the nearest yard to you, but rather where they need you. and that could be anywhere on the system. as a bit of advice, if you do go through it all, and end up at the yard of your choice, get qualified on every job that you can. yes, it's a lot to learn, but you will be in demand, and that translates to cash! plus, as the railroad sometimes endures slow periods, sometimes the newest guys are furloughed. being qualified everywhere may not avoid the layoff, but you may find yourself getting called to work anyway! again...$. the runs themselves are based on agreements within running/seniority districts, and trains can only run so far with certain crews in someone else's territory. in other words, you wouldn't want me to bring my train to your yard and take work from you. hope this somewhat answered your question, and drop me a line if you need any further help!

Posts: 85 | From: owingsmills, md. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
conrailkid
Member # 1898

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for conrailkid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello again snowboy!
one thing i forgot to say...read all of the above responses. railroading isn't for everyone, and it requires time and dedication. while the money can be huge, it can take a negative toll on you, if you're married, kids, etc. i won't tell anyone not to try, just think about it before you jump in, and make sure that the loved ones understand. best of luck!

BNSF 1088
Member # 2400

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for BNSF 1088   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CSX and BNSF are the two best Railroads to work for i have a freind that works out of Grand Rapids Michigan for CSX and he likes it and they treat them well i work for BNSF you can make more money on the BNSF plus you get systom wide senorty CSX is District senorty.the pay can be about $1,500 a month diffrence betwen the two Railroads.

Matt Marderosian

Posts: 210 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
conrailkid
Member # 1898

Rate Member
oooooooh! i won't get into the debate of my *** is better than your *** . i'm sure that each outfit has it's pro's and con's, but what it all comes down to is do you enjoy what you do. after all, it is a job. from the long list of people i've talked to in various seminars and training sessions, there are likes and dislikes about each railroad. sometimes it's just the local managers that really get their sleeves rolled up and work WITH the employees, and make it great. don't forget, not all of us work under the same rates, so pay can vary, with do respect to the runs that you are making. bottom line is, i know people who love working for mcdonalds...so it does come down to you either love what you do or you don't!
BNSFtorpedo
Member # 2428

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for BNSFtorpedo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My entire family is a railroad family, and being single I would jump at the chance of being a conductor, however as metioned by several others it is a bit of a relationship nightmare. BNSF strongly warns their new canidates of the impact the job has on personal relationships.
Posts: 3 | From: Brighton, Mo | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BNSF 1088
Member # 2400

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for BNSF 1088   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why don't you get a job as a conductor there are job openings all over the place what RR would you want to work for.
Posts: 210 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cumberlandengr
Member # 2438

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cumberlandengr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its a good job, at least I think so. You'll most likely get some difference of opinion from others, but the pay is ok and if your willing to work (be available for call) you can make some real money. however, there is alot of bs that you have to put up with, from yardmasters, trainmasters, roadformen, FRA, many looking to stick a feather in their caps by chewing someones ass for some minor infraction that doesn't amount to anything. Just keep a low profile, keep your mouth shut, and do your job and you'll be ok. Believe me, we have alot of railroaders out there with big mouths and big targets on their backs, if you know what I mean. Good luck.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Real Engineer
Member # 2475

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Real Engineer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dude most people think there job sucks..but i love it..every place on the railroad is different..some places the managers are hard asses and others are more layed back...if you think you might like it give it a try..you can always quit..and alot do
Posts: 1 | From: green river wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yiteurp
Member # 2567

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for yiteurp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am currently in The CSX training class. I paid my $4,500. Question is: they charge for the class and require that you hold an average of 84%, mine right now is below tha. the daily tests are killers.. HOW strict are they on the 84%.. Is what they are teaching really that useful or will you relearn everything during the 16 week training period ??? CAN ANYONE PROVIDE ME WITH SOME GOOD INFORMATION
Posts: 1 | From: Toledo, Ohio USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
conrailkid
Member # 1898

Rate Member
study, study, study and more study! while i am sure that there are some who have gotten by, they are rather strict on the 85% to pass the class. the reason is, all your future rules exams and engineer tests have the same number to pass. also, it shows whether or not you are learning the material they are teaching. i suggest getting in touch with your instructor on the areas you are having problems with, and see if he can help. i don't know if they allow one to try it again if you fail, and it costs too much to get into the program not to come out with a job. good luck, and keep us posted!
trainman2b
Member # 2572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for trainman2b     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am soon to start conductor training, They said to brush up on basic math skills! what all will I need to brush up on?
Posts: 6 | From: Birmingham Alabama | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
conrailkid
Member # 1898

Rate Member
see my response to your question in the other department in industry. maybe it is to be able to count the money you'll eventually make. you need basic math for car counts, figuring milages on road runs, figuring time on duty and time off. also, it comes in handy when using charts to figure your tonnage ratings for engines. lastly, you can determine the accuracy of the engine speedometer by dividing the time it takes to go a mile by 60.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page