RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » General Forums » Open Discussion » Obama's save the children myth

Author Topic: Obama's save the children myth
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When obama made his gun control demands, he surrounded himself with children and echoed Biden's "if it saves one life it is worth it" myth.

Well, OK. Put your actions where your mouth is, obama. Repeal the CAFE standards for cars. We do not need an average 35 mpg fleet of cars. They will kill more people and more kids. To get to that milestone, car manufacturers MUST reduce the weight of their fleet. These lightened cars will kill more people, including children, especially when they get in the way of 18 wheelers or other delivery trucks. We do not need more mpg cars, we have plenty of oil under land we control.

Kill the CAFE standard, not our children!

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike, I'd rather be in a crash with an 18 wheeler in a Honda Civic than a 1959 Cadillac Eldorado. Size isn't an accurate way to measure safety.
Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So adding some weight to the passenger cage in each vehicle would not improve the survivability of the cars, in the event of a crash? Seriously? Is that what you are attempting to state?

The CAFE standards will not allow more protective weight due to the decrease in the mpg of the vehicle.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I would not like to be in a crash with an 18 wheeler in anything less than a tank, if even that, in any sort of crash I would sure prefer to be in the 1959 Cadillac. If you compare Honda with seatbelts versus Caddy w/o seatbelts I still doubt the Honda passengers would come out better, but with each having equivalent passenger restraint, no way can I see the Honda coming out better, if you could even see it at all after the crash.

As to the gun control thing: The push is built in its entirity on emotion and warped statistics, aside from simply ignoring the constitution. It is worth noting that most of these mass shootings have occurred in areas where the shooter could be assured that there would be no one equipped to shoot back and in locations that already have gun control laws of questionable constitutionality.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page