RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » General Forums » Open Discussion » For Airfans

Author Topic: For Airfans
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ze'es is propaganda, Komrades. But it sure is a look back to the days when flying was an experience to be savored, and hardly that of today when the happiest moment is "over and done":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8Z-p9F96yk

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MargaretSPfan
Member # 3632

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MargaretSPfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman --
Thank you very much for that link to that really great film! Brings back many pleasant memories of flying in these planes as a child in the early 1950s. LOVE the sound when she is taking off and landing! That is a really nice purr!

One thing I do remember about DC-7s, as opposed to the DC-4s and Connies and Convairs I flew in was how LOUD those DC-7s were while flying! They were the noisiest airplanes I ever flew in -- and I flew thousands of miles back then. I got used to the noise after a while -- the brain compensates for that -- and was able to ignore it.

I LOVED the feeling of being pushed back in my seat while taking off, and I LOVED the usually very smooth landings.

I never needed IFE, as I provided my own. I loved looking out the window at the clouds, and at the tiny little buildings and vehicles, while taking off and landing.

One thing I remember from back then that I did not, and never will see in a videos of restored vintage aircraft -- is the streaks of oil on the engine cowlings, and even -- sometimes -- flames coming out of the engine! That happened, and I was too young (ages 7-13) to be worried about that

I did almost all my flying back in the early 1950s, as I said. Yes, those definitely were the days!

Thanks for the memories!

Posts: 211 | From: California | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lest we forget, DPM was a closet airfan; anyone else recall Kalmbach's short lived "Airliner" magazine?

Of course, today to write a "flight report ", especially if the view is from the "aft", "back of the bus", whatever, is like trying to write one about a ride on a municipal transit system. But we have so many here for which "plane to the train" is the drill, anyone care to give it a try?".

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My recent SoCal trip had me flying into San Diego for some quick family business and then taking a Surfliner to LAUS. Generally, I'm a big fan of the smaller SoCal airports and I'll gladly use BUR, ONT, SNA or SAN if those airports and the flight schedules work conveniently into my plans. The San Diego airport is located very close to downtown SD and there is a frequent local bus that connects the airport with the train station in about 15 minutes. It must be one of the easiest plane to train connections in the Amtrak system (outside of stations like Milwaukee or Baltimore). The bus from the airport stops across the street from the San Diego Amtrak Station--it couldn't be more convenient.

BUR also has train connections (Amtrak and MetroLink) but the schedules are sporadic and infrequent so I've never made a plane/train connection at BUR.

ONT is one of my favorite airports. It's small and easy to navigate, the rental cars are close by and it's a great facility if your business is in the Inland Empire. Unfortunately ONT is far removed from LA proper and public transit. Great airport if you are renting a car; useless if you are using public transit.

Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Interesting thoughts, Mr. Vincent that if I have reason to travel to SoCal will be helpful. I have learned that ONT has lost so many flights since the airlines have stopped playing the game of "he goes there, so I'm going there", that the terminal is often used for various TV productions much as LAUPT.

Now to address what this infrequent flyer has noticed. I think United plays "we know where you like to sit on a flight"; but OMG that seat has become Premium Economy. Funny how for an upcoming ORD-MIA and return trip, I'd swear they pulled that.

Finally, for this trip, and directly relating to "plane to the train", I plan to use my "poor man's to ORD" i.e. BNSF to CUS then CTA Blue Line ($3.50 Senior) then at MIA Metro Rail/Mover to within sight of my hotel. My McMansionite neighbors are always aghast when I tell them about that way. However on Sundays, when the BNSF frequency is two hours, it can get dicey.

Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've noticed the same with ONT--there rarely are convenient flights into that airport--but it is one of the best airports ever built for passengers. One other trick I learned from my frequent flyer days is that rental cars taken from one airport can usually be returned to any other airport in the LA area. So if your plan is to fly into ONT and rent a car for a trip to Palm Springs or the Coachella Valley, but you also want to head down to Orange County (Disneyland?) and fly back from SNA, you can usually drop the car at SNA without incurring a charge for leaving your car at a different airport.

It also might be possible to take the Metrolink Riverside line from ONT to downtown LA, but service on that line is even less frequent than at BUR, so I'd plan on renting a car at ONT. On my last trip to ONT the rentals cars were just a short walk from the terminal, no waiting for a bus to take me to a faraway rental terminal.

Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
From Marriott Biscayne Bay Miami

Well, DPM was a closet airfan, so time for a Flight Report here. United Flight 1747.27 Feb was wheels up at 1203P CT; it was to have "pushed back" at 858A, but stuff happens. All I could think as I watched the herd boarding was thank God I spry for a First Class upgrade for about half the rate it would have otherwise been. Brunch was a Questa and actually "good". Josie and Miss Barbara just kept pouring a nice French Sauvingnon Blanc; I might actually do without before the Cleveland Orchestra concert at 8 tonight. Anyone wanna bet?

The Attendants were just great and Josie has flown with Maureen.

Looking out my window at the hotel and can see five Love Tubs getting ready to sail.

That's all for now.

dns8560
Member # 15184

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dns8560     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool, hip first person voice!

--------------------
Everybody has to believe in something. I believe I'll take the train!

Posts: 230 | From: Ithaca, New York | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a good trip, GBN. Too bad you didn't take the Dixieland!
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spell check seems to be working! Was "Questa" a "Quiche"?

Frank in blustery SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
It was something Mexican that Gate Gourmet concocted. I just knew the other selection had cottage cheese and yogurt, puke!
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Flight Report; United 1729 MIA-ORD 02MAR

This time, everything was on time - and just as well, as United is "not exactly" a big player at Miami.

First to make this posting somewhat rail related, I took "poor man's" from the hotel starting with Metro Mover from Arsht Center to Government Center (if AAF ever goes anywhere, that will be the station to use to get there). From there it was Metrorail to the now named Miami Central Station formerly known as Miami Intermodal Center (MIC). Oh well, likely some politician will find his/her way to have the facility named is his/her honor.

Tri Rail does not yet serve the facility, but it will. I highly doubt if Amtrak will ever see its platforms.

So to the flight. I continue to have my TSA Pre Check; never paid for it, but it certainly is nice to avoid "the locker room" after clearing TSA. For those "less fortunate", Pre Check does not require a passenger to remove footwear (especially nice as I always wear laced shoes when flying). They want electronic devices to be in a bin and they expect your pockets to be empty of anything metal. Your 3-1-1 bag can remain in carry on luggage.

As earlier noted, the flight was on time; in-flight catering was Sky Chef. In Coach, they had drinks and food for sale; in First Class (where I was using a reasonably priced upgrade) they offered beverages served in glassware (funny how two 125ml wine glasses "ended up" leaving the flight with me; sorry bout that, Frank and Maureen, but nobody asked for them).

Also, I almost tried out United's Wi-Fi, as the 737-900 was so equipped. I could have had a first around here; as some here have noted, when I'm out of town, my posts contain a "dateline". How would have "from in-flight United 1729" sound? But it was $3.99/hr or fraction thereof, and even if up front, I was starting to get into my "el-cheapo" mode as real life drew near.

Now what escapes me is this flight was crewed, Officers and Attendants, with LA based ex-Con's. MIA-ORD was always a United route, and with the Attendants "not even close" to a unified agreement (the ex-Con gals confirmed that), I have to guess that Maureen, who I haven't seen since returning, would simply say "no wonder we are whacking while they are hiring". On this point speaking from my railroad Labor Relations background (airlines are also covered by the Railway Labor Act), is for Frank and Maureen to come together; don't let this dispute go off the property to an arbitrator as you both will be "sorry suckers" if such comes to pass.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
If a reader wonders why I generally wear laced shoes when in flight, today at LGA where the minor excursion incident (everybody walked away) occurred on Rwy 13, I'd just as soon be wearing secure footwear than not, if I were a passenger on that Delta MD-80.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page