RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » General Forums » Open Discussion » For Air Travelers

Author Topic: For Air Travelers
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many of us here fly places, as this is not some kind of forum where in order to participate, you have sworn to "never fly".

So let me proceed. I have sort of noted around here that I'm going back to Salzburg for my third trip in as many years during August; the Festival is too much a draw for the Vienna Philharmonic has simply "beautiful" sounds. Also the Cleveland Orchestra, with whom I know face to face some two musicians within, will be performing during week of August 15.

Going on my experience of the past two years, there were acceptable ORD-MUC fares on United in Business Class available during March for travel during August. They each were in the $3500 range.

This year, knowing my time is running out to do trips the way I want to (solo; no groups, no “follow the flag”, no Economy Class, no sharing hotel rooms), I booked a one week trip starting August 15. However, what I thought was “prime time” for booking such, during March, all United offered was a $4200 fare – and that was an ORD-UA-DUB/DUB-LH-MUC-UA-ORD routing.

Now today on a lark, I looked at United's site and found that Nonstop both ways, Business Class, on my dates of travel is being offered for $2550…………….GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But now, I’m walking on air, for United agreed to allow me to fly Nonstop (UA952/3) in both directions, reduce the fare to the $2550 or thereabouts level (assessing a $450 exchange fee), and giving me an e-Voucher for some $1750. The best I was hoping for was to change the outward flight from the Dublin layover (and them having to cut the pie with Lufthansa) to the Nonstop without any additional collection.

Moral of the story: keep checking back if you think the rate can be bettered.

And finally, with that $1750 voucher, I just might have to go next year - maybe my health (it's fine right now, says Dr. Brooks) will hold on to enable such.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gil--

Glad to hear that it worked out. Keep good thoughts for us trying to get to Newark tomorrow and then Madrid on Saturday night as non-revs with 45 years of seniority.

Frank in sunny and warm SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good thoughts indeed, Frank.

Now for wierd department. It looks like I really "lucked in". Today on another lark, I went back to United's site and loaded in same dates. Nonstop both directions ORD-MUC, Business Class was $5075. The connection through Dublin, non stop return was $3760.

Did I luck out or did I luck out?????????

But you saw my documents for the $2550 rate: trust they looked authentic.

So whoever was tinkering with the fares right when I queried yesterday THANK YOU.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, travelling at the highest moment of the high season means $$$

This February, my trip to Tel Aviv was $600 each way less expensive this year over last.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Quite correct Mr. Pullman, but the Salzburg Festival is late July through August. Not too many Symphony Orchestras over here perform indoors during the Summer ("it's a bird, its a plane, no it's a train, but IT'S RAVINIA").

Evidently you can make your trips to Israel when the fares are right. I did same for some of my "Eurailpass marathons" in my younger years - including a 1990 trip that wasn't meant to be a marathon (to visit friends in both Berlin and Sevilla; and using trains to get from one to the other. Intra-European air fares were still controlled by a cartel) but ended up such - and made me swear off overseas travel for some 24 years.

ghCBNS
Member # 3093

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ghCBNS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Transatlantic ‘737’s

Transatlantic has been the realm of widebodies but I see that Norwegian Airlines has received ETOPS certification to begin Cork-Boston using a Boeing 737-800.

http://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/46240-faa-certifies-three-norwegian-b737s-for-etops-180

Here in Atlantic Canada it’s always been a short hop across the pond and WestJet now offers two daily flights from St. John’s, Newfoundland to Dublin and London on ‘737s plus Air Canada has a daily A319 to Heathrow.

This WestJet flight did the crossing in 3 hrs. 52 min:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/WJA16/history/20160506/0145Z/CYYT/EIDW

In Halifax besides the daily Air Canada widebody ‘767 to Heathrow……WestJet offers a ‘737 to Glasgow and ASL Airlines (France) flies a ‘737 to Dublin and onto Paris.

With the advanced narrowbodies coming online……it probably opens he opportunity for LCC’s to begin service from the US northeast…… JetBlue to Dublin or London anyone??

British Airways has an all business class A318 between JFK and London City Airport but its weight restricted getting out of LCY westbound and must land at Shannon to refuel. This gives the passengers on some of the flights the opportunity to pre-clear US CBP there. Arriving at JFK…..just walk off the plane and you’re on your way….no further customs or immigration formalities.

Posts: 239 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I once did Newark/NY to Lima, Peru on a single aisle 757. Not something that I'd like to repeat. Busy aisle with no alternative routes and a long flight (two meal services somehow, IIRC).

A 4-hour flight from western Ireland to eastern Canada/US would probably be bearable.

Recently booked Norwegian to fly from LAX to LGW (London Gatwick) later this year... this will be an "interesting" experience but they do have generally favorable reviews. B787. Non-stop/direct flights in October are going for US$800-900 compared to $1200+ for non-stop/direct legacy carriers like Delta, United, Virgin.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page