RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » General Forums » Open Discussion » Down Under - To Go Or Not To Go

Author Topic: Down Under - To Go Or Not To Go
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Volks, I have a dilemma for which maybe I can gather a consensus - especially from those around here who have "been there done that".

My Niece permanently resides near Sydney NSW Australia. There is no telling when, or if, she will make it back over here. To put it mildly, she "took a vow of poverty" when she married the man she did (been at it 13 years - two girls - it just might go the distance).

She has asked if I would come on Down Under and visit her. The $$$ are there to do so, but that hardly means I have the circadian rhythm for such - especially since the longest I ever go away is ten days. Longer and I'll simply worry about my house and my bills.

I've been told by friends who "have done that" that it will take a 76 yo (able bodied) all of those ten days and more to recover from the lag. Even going Business Class will make no difference. Their suggestion is "don't".

On the other hand, I've listened to "you're close with your Niece; you're running out of time" and "what an opportunity".

My Niece is of the "just stay longer, stay with us". Once again "ten days" and "houseguesting" I cut out about thirty years ago. Even a ten day trip will run me $10K ($7 air, $2 hotel, $1 meals & incidentals). My Sister has been down twice this year; once during March (30 days) and now again (45 days over Thanx), but even though she flies Business (as would I), she stays with them.

So anyone; go for it, or "faggedit"?

Posts: 10004 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GBN, I think only you can answer your question as no one else knows what your comfort level is for being away for an extended period in an unfamiliar environment, which seems to be your biggest concern.

I guess the decision is what are your priorities - seeing you niece or staying at home to take care of the everyday tasks we all endure.

If the priority is seeing your niece, then are you physically capable of doing it without having undue discomfort. The fact that you have no problem (other than normal jet lag) with annual trips to Austria tells me you probably are.

The key for us on any such trip is to keep moving the day we arrive even if extremely tired until the normal bedtime there. That seems to put us on the new schedule pretty fast.

Regarding the responsibilities at home, perhaps a friend can check in weekly and maybe sort through the mail to see if anything needs urgent attention. On line banking is your friend!

We just let our stuff sit in the post office for up to 30 days. We have friends who take longer trips and they trained a trusted friend to sort through mail and check on the house. If you're in a condo - even less to worry about.

But if you go, I hope you stay longer than 10 days and venture out for some side trips, perhaps with your niece as a guide. Perhaps she could rent a small studio apartment for 30 days (or use Airbnb) for you so you could have a home base and settle in with a few bottles of Australian wine. Although somehow I don't think Yellow Tail is your wine of choice. And, be sure to relax and have fun if you go.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman, I agree with Mr. Palmland. I think it is a decision for you to work out but I can give empathy for the dilemma. Besides jet lag, it does seem like a long visit.

As I get older, I find myself getting a little antsy if I stay at any location for too long. I hate to encounter hotels or motels with minimum stay requirements. The only exception would be lodging which could serve as a hub for a number of pleasurable excursions. Examples would be the Jasper Park Lodge in Jasper or the Grouse Mountain Lodge in Whitefish.

I think $$ 10K is quite a lot for the stay. If it was a luxury ocean liner, then maybe 10K would be justified. But for a relative visit, well, I can't make that judgement.

Could there be a compromise? Maybe just a few days to say "g'day" then return?

Richard

Posts: 1913 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got to make your own decisions, but I would go for it and stay longer. 10 days is simply a little short for somewhere that is fairly well 180 degrees out of sync. After all, the plane fare will be the same whether the stay is 10 days or 30. If as you say the finance is there, might as well use it. We have a couple of times paid a month ahead on the utilities and phone when we anticipate being gone when the next bill comes along. Make a good estimate of what the power etc. will be, add 10% or so and send it in. If we overpay, no big deal, it just carries forward into the next month. Certain cards we do over the phone to make sure we don't make them unhappy. If you don't do that, then copy the payment receipt so you can have a paper with the check so they know who it is coming from when you send in your best guess of what the payment should be and send it off. Again, if you overpay, they won't complain. The worst that can happen is that you leave some outstanding balance and get stuck with some of the rediculous interest charges. I am assuming there that you are not carrying balances with these guys.
Posts: 2811 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are more conflicts I have.

I hate beaches and those critters lurking beneath who'd order you up on the Lunch menu, hate things that slither through backyards and bite, and things that go buzz and sting. All of which Australia reportedly has in abundance.

But I like flying, so long as I'm not "locked up in The Gulag" for any extended period. United's Polaris is a "super" experience and I understand Delta has a similar product as well (can't think of when I last flew them; they are "out of sight out of mind" to me).

I hate being uncomfortable - and having to houseguest - even if all the amenities found at a hotel are offered - makes me just that - all of which is why I haven't done it in now thirty years. To add fuel to the fire, I know some families take offense if you choose to stay elsewhere - financial capacity notwithstanding.

As for spending $$$$, I believe I am more regimented in that area than some (Budget and Actual are reconciled semi-monthly - can't do that very well if you are gone), but if I spend it, I want value.

So there it is; the "ball is in my Niece's court", and maybe just maybe after having my Sister over there for two visits this year (30 and 45 days respectively) she will have had enough of family and "conveniently forget" to get on me to come on down (it's more down as the KLAX to YSSY flight plan "track" starts off with a heading of 235).

Posts: 10004 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, too, really hate being a houseguest for more than about 5 days; but you'll probably need that long to get your internal clock re-set. Spend a few days with the family, see the Sydney sights, check out the Opera House and then plan to get out of town for a few days. Leave your big bag at the niece's house and fly down to Melbourne or Adelaide with a small backpack and spend a few days on your own. When you get back to Sydney, they'll be glad to see you again and hear about your adventure. Then maybe take the family out for a short weekend adventure somewhere else, spend a few more days in Sydney and then make your departure.

You might consider doing some island hopping on the return trip, just to lessen the jet lag if not to see the sights. I hear New Zealand is less slithery and buzzy than Australia and there might still be some interesting trains running in NZ. Maybe a day or two in LA or SF after you clear customs and then back to ORD?

Ultimately, the decision is yours to make, but I'm sure all the Railforum readers would love to follow Uncle Gil's adventure Down Under.

Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:

I hate beaches and those critters lurking beneath who'd order you up on the Lunch menu, hate things that slither through backyards and bite, and things that go buzz and sting. All of which Australia reportedly has in abundance.

I took my R&R out of Nam to Sydney. Unlike the average go to bar and stay, I touristed. Obviously been a few years so there is much I do not recall about the general ambience so far as critters were concerned, but after 7 months in Nam critters would have been no big deal. I was of the impression that they are less crittered up than many other places. Also, depends on where in Australia. Brisbane is near sub tropical so that could be more crittered up by quite a bit than Sydney. Going to a beach was not part of my touristing. The zoo was. If you have any interest in animal life at all, allow yourself a half day there at least. That was fasicnating. Get the Lonely Planet guide bood and read up on things to see and do. They had some interesting EMU services both north and west. Facainating scenery. At that time these EMU sets were open window. Probably not still that way, but the Sydney subway had do it yourself non powered doors, so the trains were normally running with doors open and passengers standing at them. I think it was an overhead wire system, but not sure. The traffic signs etc were fairly American standard at that time, but being British oriented they drove on the left, so it was somewhat like looking in a mirror when on the streets. Also, if this event is to happen soon, you are approaching summer thanks to the reversal of climate.
Posts: 2811 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Certainly can't go nowadays unless their lockdown madness abates.
Posts: 573 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Well, this topic, thanks to Mr. Helfner, has become a Rip Van Winkle.

With my dual-national Niece permanently residing near Sydney, NSW, I probably could get an exception and be allowed entry, but this is simply one more devastation this scourge has brought upon our planet we call home. Who ever dreamed during early '20 the impact this plague would have?

Those of you younger than myself will all have the opportunity to "look back" at the era when it finally ends. At 80yo, I haven't that to look forward to.

Since COVID began, I haven't given such a journey much further thought. I also have to consider that religious convictions has my Niece's family anti-VAX.

But I'm indeed greatful that I was able to meet up with my Niece during July '19 in Dallas, where she was staying over with a relative enroute back to Sydney from New York, attending to a family emergency. Apparently, AA and QF have some kind of marketing arrangement allowing such a stopover without upsetting an LGA-SYD fare.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page