RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » General Forums » Open Discussion » Amtrak Joe trying to get back to normal?

Author Topic: Amtrak Joe trying to get back to normal?
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Biden plans:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/08/politics/biden-train-inauguration/index.html

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fair Use from the material submitted by Ms. Sojourner:
  • Wilmington, Delaware (CNN)Joe Biden will begin his new journey as the 46th President of the United States in a familiar way: riding Amtrak from Wilmington to Washington.

A day before he is sworn into office, Biden is planning to make his way to the nation's capital on a family train trip that will be part of the festivities leading up to the inauguration on January 20, people familiar with the plans tell CNN.

While plans for the inauguration were shaken this week by the violent attack on the Capitol, along with unrelenting complications from the coronavirus pandemic, Biden and top advisers have instructed their team to keep moving forward, without being deterred by the steep challenges.
I simply CAN'T BELIEVE they're doing this.

A SAM flown by a VC-32 (B-757-200) KILG-KADW is simply the most reasonable and secure means to get the President-Elect and party to Wash. Who knows what the "Bad Boys" are now dreaming up for Jan 20. Besides, having flown myself from KILG, not sure if the 7275ft RWY 9-27 can handle much more in the way of an aircraft.

A VC-25 (747-200) will have another SAM to fly, i.e. the Former President "cashing in his voucher" to go wherever he chooses.

Further, I'd be very happy to see those grandstands along the West Side of The Capitol being chopped down. The ceremony should be limited to that of swearing in the POTUS and VP. Hold it in the Rotunda (get some good sound baffles) followed by the POTUS Address from the TV studio in the Capitol. I guess there has to be a reception; but hold it within the Capitol - masks required. No parade, no Balls (think those already have the CANX).

If the former occupant has not yet had his stuff cleared from 1600 Penn, then off to an "undisclosed location". Bedtime; "the usual" for a 78yo (mine @ 79 is 830P).

This is needed as our Republic faces the greatest domestic crisis since the Civil War. We had an uprising on Jan 6 incited by a public official who cannot accept he lost an election - and COVID is hanging around until, I think at best, 4th Qtr.

But if this, I think, reckless display of resolution moves forth, let's hope Amtrak can "pull it together". The train should be a copy of Joe's post-Convention campaign train; Diesel powered (don't need the Bad Boys getting into the Power Distributor's office), and, if you even must have an Obs, the 10004 "American View".

Chomp on this, volks; but to me, this is what the times warrant.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lots of talk now about the inauguration taking place remotely and just broadcasted to the public in light of the threats by the yahoos to disrupt things during the period 1/17-1/20. If he's on the rails going to DC, I would hope every inch of the right of way is meticulously guarded and swept clean.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having been in San Francisco when the president came to town and went down Market Street, the president showing up anywhere is he ultimate in traffic congestion. Was probably Obama for whatever difference that makes. Everything anywhere in the vicinity STOPS, and I do mean stops. Not even sure BART was running underground, but the last block was blocked off on bot sides, and for bus routes that crossed it from about 30 to 45 minutes before to he was a block or two passed him, stopped.

I remember reading about what was done in years past when train was the usual way, and it was a major operation. All switches were spiked, a 'sweep' train ran in front, overpasses were manned by police and traffic stopped a few minutes ahead, etc., etc. The Ferdinand Magellan was armor plated and had bulletproof windows and was considered a bear to haul by the train crews because it was so much heavier than the normal "heavyweight" passenger cars of the time. You would have slack run ins and run outs more like freight service, and of course you had a Trainmaster in the cab and other railroad officers throughout. And these were the days long before Kennedy was shot so the security was not near as crazy as it is now.

As said, it would be far better to fly. This is being done for show, no more and no less.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While hardly same extent as Mr. Harris being inconvenienced, I too have had such.

During August '09, flying from Boston (KBOS) to Nantucket (KACK) aboard a Cape Air (IATA 9K) Cessna 404, President Obama was visiting Martha's Vineyard. The usual route to fly such would be Southeasterly (130 Heading)over Cape Cod Bay until getting near Nantucket(KACK) to line up and land (RWY 24; I-ACK 109.1).

But on this day, we flew East (110 Hdg) to Provincetown (VOR 114.7) then almost South (170 Hdg) to Nantucket (VOR 116.2) simply to give The Vineyard and Obama "space".

Now wasn't I a nice guy; I wrote this in plain English, putting the "flyer talk" in parentheses for those holding interest in such, i.e. MOI [Smile] .

Now to close on the matter at hand. "Career Politicians" such as Joe, are naturally drawn to people. Joe built his entire career on such "retail politics" (most recent POTUS who clearly did not: Nixon), and now he has realized the career politician's ultimate prize. Joe craves being near people, and is willing to take unnecessary risks to be near the 99.44% who wish him no harm.

But I still think it is a reckless stunt.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
WISE
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will say what I thought before the change was made. I do agree completely with Mr. Norman that taking the train to DC was a bad idea, not even considering safety concerns. The disruption to train travel plus to every community along the way would be overwhelming

Most of the people that think Biden a disastrous choice for president would also do their utmost to prevent his assassination for two main reason: First, regardless of the "assault" on the capital by a few soreheads, they believe in the changes in government should be done decently and in order, regardless of the bias in the press, and second most regard a president Kamala Harris as worse.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Harris, I agree with you "of sorts".

First, I foresee that on January 19, 2025, Kamala Harris will be POTUS47. January 21? Depends on her record. Somehow, I can't see some "tin horn" dictator standing up to her. "Sit down, sonny boy, hand over your nuke keys NOW".

But Joe strikes me as lethargic, and could easily have early onset Alz. With the choice "We The People" made to divide our Congress as we did, means any domestic legislative agenda, such as substantial Amtrak funding, will get "the back burner" at least until '22 mid terms, and likely through all of Joe's.

Foreign policy, where the Constitution gives the Executive far greater latitude in its formulation and execution, I can see Joe, with his still pretty full Rolodex (OK; Speed-dial nowadays) reaching out to foreign Heads of State to mend the fences that have been put up by POTUS45. If Joe is able to enhance our standing within the World Community, then his Presidency - one term at best - will not be for naught.

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Actually it is the foreign policy of Joe I fear the most. Trump at least took no nonsense from anybody and expected those that have enjoyed a free ride at our expense, I am talking to you, Western Europe, to begin to pay their own way. Joe, I expect to say sorry about that, of course we will accept whatever you want, and to Iran, OK, how many pallets of cash do you want this time? And Israel? Goodbye. We don't want to offend all these mideastern theocracies that hate us anyway.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Harris, I have difficulty accepting your position regarding Trump foreign policy.

First regarding Kim; to me it seemed that Trump was most interested in "photo ops" than he was in neutralizing any Nuke threat from him. Just seems as if Trump's policy towards Kim was analagous to his stunt of parading over to ("my") Episcopal Church simply to hold up a Bible - upside down at that.

Now regarding Bibi, only time will tell if what "Javankas" ostensibly negotiated with the Arab states results in meaningful peace. In deference to certain big ticket contributors, one of whom is now deceased, he incurred the costs, as well as removal from the diplomatic community within the State, moving the US Embassy to Jerusalem - where previous regimes to Bibi avoided, respecting that two other major religions believe that city to be theirs as well.

My "Trump and Jesus worshipping" Sister (who I simply cannot talk with until the existing situation calms down) of course holds differing views than do I; I sense much in line with yours.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
A very quick clip on NBC Nightly News showed the "consist" of Joe's "Unity Special" was a C-32 (B-753).
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
My "Trump and Jesus worshipping" Sister (who I simply cannot talk with until the existing situation calms down) of course holds differing views than do I; I sense much in line with yours.

Don't know about your sister, but regarding Trump as one of the best presidents ever does not equate to worshipping the man. He has lots of personality and other flaws, but the perspective from which he operates and results are what counts with a politician. As I have said to quite a few people, we are electing a president, not a pastor. Having talked to or heard second hand from several people that have met the man, in general they left far better impressed with him than before, basically saying what you see is what you get. There is no phoniness.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
I'm starting to agree with Professor Dershowitz as he writes in The Journal in opposition to a Senate trial of Former President Trump on the Article passed by the House.

First, so much POSITIVE that need be done in the Senate starting with confirmation of the Cabinet. Then for Congress to move forth with COVID legislation.

The only thing that a conviction - if even possible - would ensure is that Trump wouldn't try and run for Palm Beach County Dogcatcher, or anything higher.

I think he's going to "crush under his own weight" (245lbs I read somewhere). He's facing civil liability and criminal prosecution in NY and other jurisdictions. His "wealth" appears to now be some kind of myth; what once may have existed has been "frittered" away with bad business decisions. Meliana and Barron could easily ditch him.

I think he's "broken", and to try him will simply stir up the acolytes.

As Prof. Dershowitz notes, Lincoln said "With malice towards none". Lincoln knew that to try the likes of Lee and Davis for treason would simply further divide rather than heal the nation. I think it's time for "we the victors", meaning everyone who voted for Joe, to simply move on.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
I can only reiterate that it is time for the House to "drop the charges" within the Senate against Former President Trump so both Houses can move on with "the people's business".

Should Mr. Trump - a private citizen - choose to run against President Harris (I think Joe will resign "to write his memoirs and 'rassle' with Champ and Major" somewhere about July '23 when Congress is back in Republican hands and any legislative agenda is DOA) in '24, let "We The People" make the choice.

Finally, I await an update of the Wiki "Rate the Presidents" Notable Scholar Survey to see if Mr. Trump, presently in 42nd place (Lincoln 1st, Buchannan 43, A. Johnson 44) will end up 44th, and when Joe leaves office, 45 (Joe 46th POTUS; but Cleveland, 22nd and 24th, was only one man).

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Lincoln #1??
What happened to Washington? He should be #1m and I would think Jefferson #2. Given what he had to work with, I would put Trump in the top 5 or close to it. Lincoln in the top 5, probably so. I would put Obama, Biden, A. Johnson in the bottom 5. Clinton should also be somewhere close to the bottom. Given what we have seen so far, should there be a president Kamala, she should become the clear winner for bottom place.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Harris, I hope, and I think you do, respect, that I simply reported this resource to the Forum. It was submitted in the spirit of "We report, you decide". On that point, I certainly respect your disagreement with several of the rankings.

Again let me reiterate that I think Joe will resign before his term completes - I think long about July '23. Will he be considered a good president? Evidently, you think not. I think if he can get command of first getting the VAX into arms, and then righting the economy for primarily the service sector so "life as we knew it" can return, his presidency will be considered by historians as a "short term caretaking" that stabilized our "ship of state" to enable those following to chart its destiny.

If those who follow choose to elect Mr. Trump for a non-consecutive term as their president, that choice should be open.

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Understood that you were quoting a source for the rankings. My comment was aimed toward that source. Generally all these purported rankings reflect the political or social perspectives of the rankers.

I agree that Biden will likely not complete his term. Your July 23 may be toward the outside of possibilities. Depends upon both obvious health issues, including his death, and how long he remains a useful figurehead. What I see in his flurry of executive orders is anything but stabilizing. The determination of those pulling his strings to decimate the petroleum industry and our energy independence flies in the face of rationality for starts. These anti-pipeline people are essentially a logic free zone, but then perhaps I am prejudiced having worked a couple of pipeline inspection jobs, also knowing several pipeline locations. Once in place a pipeline is the most invisible form of transportation there is. By the way, there are several underwater/underground pipeline crossings of the lower Mississippi, and I doubt these anti pipeline people would even realize it if they were standing on one at the bank of the river.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Harris, I noted July '23 in that Joe will realize his legislative agenda will be over. Both houses of Congress will be back in Republican hands; Speaker McCarthy will be in charge of the "agenda", and President Harris will know the power of the veto pen.

Anarchy, anyone?

Joe is a career politician, who for his loyalty, has achieved the ultimate prize for one of his ilk. I can hope he does not lose sight that Obama included him in every policy decision made during the 44th presidency. He will be doing the country, considering his questionable health, a great disservice if he "locks Kamala up" (oh, let 'er out for the funeral of Supreme General Patrice Lumamba in Darkest Africa), for he needs his understudy ready to step in on a moment's notice.

All told, referring to the Wiki survey, I think Joe will end up being ranked in the Third Quartile alongside of another caretaker President - Gerry Ford.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page