RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » General Forums » Open Discussion » Return To The Loop - "It's Not Over"

Author Topic: Return To The Loop - "It's Not Over"
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since the rail journey was only tangential, I'm placing this "trip report" at Open Discussion.

Last evening was my first return to The Loop (the core downtown area of Chicago) since "The Beginning". All I can say is that any phrases of "We're back" are premature and I dread to think of cities, such as New York, that have been dealt considerably greater hurt from COVID.

My trip purpose was to attend a Chicago Symphony concert, whose season was curtailed at "The Beginning" and resumed about three weeks ago with Muti's Fall residency. This was his final series and I'm sure he will be back on his private plane (yes, he has one) to Milan maybe as early as Saturday night.

First to the rails as that is "where it began" aboard BNSF #1264 (7). There was signage throughout the car addressing the mask requirements and the consequences of ignoring it. There was also signage saying one passenger for each seat unless a party. The latter admonishment was hardly needed, for there were never more than ten passengers (capacity 160) in my car. The Conductor handling my cash fare was gloved.

Passing Amtrak Lumber Street, I noted at least a dozen of the new Siemens cars "just sitting there". Just put up a sign "Agua Non Potabla" until whatever is wrong is addressed and get the cars in revenue service using an existing Amfleet or Horizon Food Service car.

CUS at rush hour - almost deserted. No line whatever to get my return ticket (can do without the $5 on train surcharge). Amtrak has combined their ticket cage with the Baggage check/claim area near where their second cage was located. That in the "Cattle Shute" long closed as is now the previous one that was part of the Met Lounge (the very first Amtrak cage was placed in the Head House by Nov '71 - whoops, Great Hall in Amspeak - as soon as Amtrak assumed Revenue Accounting and the receipts from the roads; being their first major assumption).

Leaving there were two bored Amtrak cops; I said to them "Gentlemen, this is rush hour; where are the people?". One said to me "our business is picking up (nice to hear)". "Not saying anything for the other guys (METRA, I presume)".

Now walking East on Adams to Orchestra Hall, and essentially having it to myself, I noted many a restaurant closed. The famous Berghoff was open but not doing much. I walked in - and out.

Now I get to Orchestra Hall, and the Opus - a "good" restaurant (a bit high $$$) on the premises - closed. So was the Adams Street entrance to The Hall as was Symphony Store. What do I do for Dinner as I've not been "in love" with Berghoff since it changed hands a few years ago. Miller's Pub appeared open but just a "meh" with me.

First to walk into (only one door open) Orchestra Hall. 2.5 hours until concert and I'm the only one in there - except a guard who quickly said "put your mask on". I found out that the "Pre-concert" Lectures by either a college professor or a WFMT personality are simply no more - and I had allotted time for it!!! The program was to be performed without intermission and scheduled for 1.5hrs. This is going to be "Concert Lite".

Well now what to do about Dinner. I walked North on Michigan to Monroe where a restaurant, The Gage, was open. I had been there with United Flight Attendant friend Maureen in the past, and thought "It's OK". Well, they had a table outside available (a reasonable precaution in 70dg weather) and the Pork Chop with two Chardonnays was "good enough".

Now what to do with the hour I had allotted for the lecture and a visit to the Store for possibly some new recordings? I went over to Palmer House "to have one more". Now this place was buzzing - at least one in town that was!! I snatched a just vacated table in their Lobby Bar (I remember the days when it was just overstuffed easy chairs), and ordered a "Drambuie Up". I'm feeling guilty about taking up a six seat table, but soon, here come four "fiftysomething" women all wearing badges. They were from Houston and attending a conference at the hotel. They had husbands with them, but they were all preoccupied with watching Sox-Astros in their rooms drinking Room Service beer. The Girls wanted to party, and one was saying "you really want to go to that Concert? (hey Girl, I paid $148 to see it - didn't say it)."

So now to the "Concert Lite". VAX credentials were a rigorously examined matching such with ID as was the case in Salzburg this past August. Two works I'd never heard performed were played (Hey, that's why I go to concerts) along with a "warhorse" Tchaikovsky's 6th (his 5th my favorite).

Now back to CUS and BNSF #1289; same song second verse for going in.

All told, we've a long to go until normalcy returns - if it ever does.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Given the general publicity about how things are in Chicago, not sure they will ever return to "normalcy" without a major change in governing practices and concepts, (and mayor). If I want to visit a third-world police state, there are better ones than Chicago.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well. I wouldn't be THAT bleak, Mr. Harris; however, the question of will all ever return is very open.

Although located in Northbrook some 20 miles North of the Loop, Allstate Insurance has announced that their entire 122 acre "campus" is for sale.

Further, an article appearing today in The Journal, profiles a woman who has a non-flight position with United Airlines. Is she located in Sears Tower; United's HQ? uh. uh; she is located at her home in Topeka, KS - not served by United!!!

If commercial activity, coupled with Mr. Harris' "not completely unfounded" observation that Chicago is a decaying big city, never returns, the fallout will affect many more entities than METRA.

Even if the COVID death toll does not equal other pandemics (the Black Death killed some 50M in Europe circa year 1350), it is clearly the most economically devastating one ever suffered by the world in 6258 years of recorded history. It will be years after the final case has been reported that the economic loss will be measured. To what extent though, have social changes, such as WFH, can be considered as a cost of the pandemic.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by George Harris:
Given the general publicity about how things are in Chicago, not sure they will ever return to "normalcy" without a major change in governing practices and concepts, (and mayor). If I want to visit a third-world police state, there are better ones than Chicago.

They appear to be aiming for second world rather than third; that is for now, and also for those who might remember what the first/second/third world paradigm was versus today's developed/undeveloped nations paradigm.

And to be frank, it is not the disease that caused the economic troubles but rather the governmental response to it and their top-down "solutions", never mind a number of "mostly peaceful" conflagrational incidents in certain cities.

Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page