RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Travel by Train to a Ferry or Cruise » Cuba - Maybe By Ferry? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Cuba - Maybe By Ferry?
ghCBNS
Member # 3093

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ghCBNS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Mayo:
For a little plane over a big pond, try British Airway's A318 business class only service from London City to Newark, albeit with a fuel stop on the outbound only in Ireland. IIRC UK-US transatlantic crossings involve about 5 hours of flying directly over water, albeit within reach of land for some of that.

Air Canada does St. John's - Heathrow on an A319 and WestJet did St. John's - Dublin on a B737 last summer......they will again this year and are also adding Halifax - Glasgow on a '737.
Posts: 239 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr Norman, your post about the Merchant Marine is very unclear to me. I don't know what you mean about the Merchant Marine existing by Fiat, and I don't know what the Captain Phillips Varietal of the USMM is, or the Danish or whatever. It's like reading another language. Nevertheless, whatever the state of the merchant marine, it seems to me that if there can be passenger and car ferries in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and elsewhere in the East (there are several), then there can be ferries in Hawaii too, at least interisland. Was your post only about no ferries from mainland to Hawaii? (I'm getting a glimmer that that's what you mean as I think about it.)

I have to say, I am disappointed to see that after all my research into ferries, the posts after mine and Mr Norman's are about airplanes, in which I have no interest. So shall I start another strand about ferries (since this is no longer about Cuba)? It seems to me that people who take trains also like to take boats, so it's related (esp in the case of Flagler/Cuba, but the same two linked methods of travel seems appealing elsewhere, esp apparently in Europe.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghCBNS
Member # 3093

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ghCBNS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sojourner:

I have to say, I am disappointed to see that after all my research into ferries, the posts after mine and Mr Norman's are about airplanes.....

Here’s a few more ferries and close for anyone in the US northeast:

In summer there is a Portland ME to Yarmouth NS Ferry

http://novastarcruises.com/schedule/fares

But year 'round, after a 6 1\2 hr drive from Boston to Saint John NB you can take a ferry to Digby NS. (The Princess Of Acadia will be replaced with a new ferry this year)

http://www.ferries.ca/nova-scotia-to-new-brunswick-ferry/

NFL-Bay Ferries operates to Prince Edward Island

http://www.ferries.ca/nova-scotia-to-prince-edward-island-ferry/

-

And once on PEI you can continue to the Magdalen Islands

http://www.traversierctma.ca/en/

-

Posts: 239 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghCBNS
Member # 3093

Rate Member
Then there are the big ferries that sail year ‘round to Newfoundland

http://www.marine-atlantic.ca/index.asp?no-redirect=true

-

.....or the summer only Atlantic Vision overnight cruise ferry..... also to Newfoundland.

-

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ms. Sojourner, I will sincerely endeavor to respond to your immediate posting with as much respect as the Good Lord has empowered me with, but it may be difficult to do so. Since my posting appears on a previous page, I have taken liberty to quote it here in its entirety as well as to parse from yours what is necessary to respond to your concerns:

quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Ms.Sojourner, it must be accepted that whatever remains of the US Merchant Marine does so by Fiat, which is a way of saying that an inter-Hawaiian ferry service would be economically unfeasable.The Captain Phillips varietal of the USMM exists only because when the Danish shipping concern A P Moeller Maersk bought out US flagged Sea Land, a provision within the agreement called for so much tonnage be US flagged. Beyond that the USMM had its Last Hurrah with the Marshall Plan legislation that said the commerce arising from the Act would be transported in US hulls.

So if you want to look at the Capitol in Honolulu, best call up United and settle down in a seat on a 777.

quote:
I don't know what you mean about the Merchant Marine existing by Fiat

Possibly I am guilty of assuming that the membership here has knowledge of the environment in which the US maritime industry operates, after all I think it should be evident how the railroads and the global maritime industry closely interface with one another.

To put it simply, the US maritime unions have priced their employers out of the market. Wages for anyone less than the Officers are probably double that of the foreign flagged vessels. Therefore, the only shippers that will use US flagged vessels are those, such as the Military Sealift Command, and private sectors who are shipping in support of US interests overseas. Thus my use of the term "Fiat".

quote:

I don't know what the Captain Phillips Varietal of the USMM is, or the Danish or whatever.

OK; possibly I am guilty here of not making this point clear. Captain Phillips refers to Capt. Richard Phillips, Master of the Maersk Alabama, a US flagged vessel, which was pirated off the coast of Somalia during 2009 and from which he, his crew, and the vessel, were rescued by the US Navy.

My reference to the "Danish or whatever", simply refers to that the vessel, named for the Danish concern, remains a US flagged vessel.
quote:

Was your post only about no ferries from mainland to Hawaii?

Likely the case as this was first a ferry service being addressed. Of course merchantmen sail between the Mainland and the Islands, but for people it is simply more expedient to get on the bird and get there.

quote:

I have to say, I am disappointed to see that after all my research into ferries, the posts after mine and Mr Norman's are about airplanes

Ms. Sojourner, I remain astounded, and yet I am duly bound to respect your desire to travel without use of the two means that Middle Class America uses to move about - commercial air travel and automobiles. People who have "hang ups" about use of these two modes by and large do not travel unless they must. But yet you have the "gumption" to do so. I guarantee you I do not, and for that I give you the respect you deserve.
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
So shall I start another strand about ferries (since this is no longer about Cuba)? It seems to me that people who take trains also like to take boats, so it's related (esp in the case of Flagler/Cuba, but the same two linked methods of travel seems appealing elsewhere, esp apparently in Europe.

Good suggestion. In fact perhaps the moderator could allow a new forum on the subject. If we can have one for open discussion, why not one for ferrys? Most of us, I'm sure, would take Amtrak to a ferry if possible.

Really liked the posts on Caribbean and Maritime (and those photos). Perhaps they could be moved. I would also recommend the ferries to the Outer Banks of NC at the island of Ockracoke, especially the longer 2+ hour ones. That way you avoid the north end of the OB and its coastal McMansions.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iron Mountain
Member # 12411

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Iron Mountain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because this thread has included air travel, ferries, diplomatic relations with Cuba, and Latin America I think that my question to all of you world travelers will be appropriate.

Have any of you ridden the Panama Canal Railway from sea to sea? I have read David McCullough's book, "the Path Between the Seas", and I have a financial interest in Kansas City Southern, part owner of the PCRR. My bucket list includes traveling the Panama Canal via ship and riding
the Panama Canal Railway. Thanks.

Posts: 140 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghCBNS
Member # 3093

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by ghCBNS:
Then there are the big ferries that sail year ‘round to Newfoundland

http://www.marine-atlantic.ca/index.asp?no-redirect=true

And once you are in Newfoundland.....you can even take a ferry to France....and it only takes 55 minutes!!

http://www.saintpierreferry.ca/St._Pierre_Ferry_Office/index.html.html

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great pictures, thank you.

It is my DREAM to go to Newfoundland and St Pierre. But the Viking ruins I want to see are very far from the ferries, and one needs to travel by car. I did find a cruise that did it all (left from Halifax I think) but it was super expensive, no way could I afford it.

I believe there is also a ferry from Newfoundland to Labrador.

And we forgot to mention the Alaska Ferries--they still run from Bellingham and BC, right?

Really, there are lots of ferries. Just none to Hawaii.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ghCBNS:
Air Canada does St. John's - Heathrow on an A319 and WestJet did St. John's - Dublin on a B737 last summer......they will again this year and are also adding Halifax - Glasgow on a '737.

Thanks, I'd never heard of those before. AC822/823 for YYT-LHR, not daily, 5h5 westbound, 5h30 eastbound, of which about half an hour flying over the UK and sometimes Ireland.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghCBNS
Member # 3093

Rate Member
Actual flying times eastbound from YYT to LHR are around 4:30….the flight on Jan 1/15 did it in 4:02

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/ACA822/history/20150101/0410Z/CYYT/EGLL

….. and some of the YYT-DUB flights last summer were under 4 hours.

The fastest I’ve crossed the pond was on an Air Canada L1011…..wheels up in Halifax to wheels down in Prestwick in 4:20.

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All--

I never cease to be amazed by the amount of collective knowledge on a huge variety of subjects turns up here! Well, done, all!

Sojourner--

There are plenty of cruises that go to Hawai'i, visit several islands and then return you to the Mainland. Miss Vikki and Mr. Art are the experts on that. Because of Maritime Law you would need to "visit" a foreign port either in Canada or Mexico but that's not so bad.

BTW, for ANY cruise, you will now need a valid passport.

Frank in sunny and warm (74º) SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, mine were the scheduled, "gate" times I guess you could call them. That includes padding, taxiing, holding, weather... those trans-Atlantic winds can really make a huge difference on actual flying time, 20% or more on the same route.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Fantasyland.

So that Ms. Sojourner may have her direct "ferry" ride between the Mainland and Hawaiian Islands, here goes a game plan.

Have a Love Tub operator buy up one of the Farallon Islands - rocks, walruses, and seaweed.

Declare it a Free and Independent State and secede from the USA.

Build enough of a facility there so that a "call" at a foreign port is made and Jones Act requirements are filled.

Now you can have direct a San Fran-Hawaii with a foreign flagged vessel (Liberia? after all, their flag looks "almost American") and only minimal delay over a straight sailing (of course anyone opting for this "slow boat to China" doesn't care how long it takes).

Adios Fantasyland; back to reality.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GBN, you're almost whimsical with your suggestion. Yes, I did have to look up the Farallon Islands, hardly on the same order of Disney's Castaway Key.

But I do believe Hawaii is a bit far for a ferry, even of the seagoing Alaska Ferry type. I think a west coast to Hawaii onw way segment on a some trans Pacific cruise would do the job for me (and fly home).

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Movies and novels from the 50's and earlier commonly have travel between west coast and Hawaii by ship in their plots.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
It doesn't have to be a ferry--just any (reasonably affordable) boat that gives a one-way ride and let's you determine when you want to come back.

My problem with a cruise is that they stop only a day in Oahu. That means you can either take an excursion to the palace/capitol OR go to Pearl Harbor, not both. And I want to do both. There used to be a cruise that stayed 2 days but I think they stopped doing that. . .

My other problem is that no one I know wants to go with me--they either think it's too long (and prefer to fly) or have been to Hawaii and prefer to go elsewhere. And cruises are too expensive without sharing the cabin.

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Our moderator has created a new forum for Trains to ferries and cruises. You can find it here.

Hopefully she can move some or the recent posts on the subject there.

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
At the beginning of this topic (in 2009) there was quite a discussion about the possibilities of a ferry to Cuba.

Looks like it's getting closer. Even Jet Blue seems to be getting into the act.

Ferry to Cuba

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Ms. Sojourner, if you want to go to Hawaii, just get your ------- on the bird. An KALB-KORD-PHNL on American or United, and their "puddle jumper partners" is something like 12hrs. You will be zonked, but you will be there.

Mr. Palmland, that private sector passenger ferry operators want to "get in the game" means some "wise consultant" has decided there is a market. That in itself can only enhance Amtrak business, but hardly to some of the SWAG's I've seen here, i.e. rebuild the Key West line for an Auto Train extension,

As for myself, I claim to have set foot in all 50 states; however my claim on Hawaii is very tenuous. Returning from Nam during July '68, the military charter landed at the military side of PHNL, or Hickam AFB. It was 230A, yet everyone was kicked off the aircraft for refueling. During the time on the ground, I walked outside the terminal building, found a piece of grass, and set foot on it. Just as well; as I haven't been near Hawaii since.

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
This news about resumed ferry service to Cuba is wonderful. But why are there no ferries from Florida to the Bahamas right NOW? It's so bizarre. The only ferry I know is the one from Fort Myer to Key West. . . .
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
There appears to be ferry service Ft. Lauderdale-Grand Bahama:

http://planetlippstone.com/2012/06/07/who-knew-a-ferry-from-florida-to-the-bahamas/

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page