RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Western US » Salt Lake Route Whittier line

Author Topic: Salt Lake Route Whittier line
coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for coach34135     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just did a trip to Whittier High today and I never seen so much track removed. The track goes right behind the school, I went and checked it out, track covered by asphalt. Interesting lots of the old wooden grade xings are still there.I'm dissapointed too see it all gone. I didn't know that this line was Salt Lake Route. I am going to photograph the bridge that states this. Does anyone know about this old route? How long did this route run? Where was the Whittier station? It just sparked my curiosity about it.I'd like to see a photo of the train on the bridge over Whittier Blvd. or around there somwhere.

Posts: 139 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for atsf3751   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The line was active up until about three years ago. This line intersected with SP's Whittier/La Habra branch. The "Salt Lake Route" line was operated by UP. The two lines joined and then paralleled Lambert Rd. for several miles. The line was jointly owned and operated by both UP and SP on different days of the week.

The UP line continued on down into Fullerton, terminating at the Hunt's cannery that's between Malvern and Commonwealth. At one time, the branch actually crossed the Santa Fe and continued all the way into Anaheim and interchanged with the Santa Ana Branch, but that's been looooong gone. The tracks still physically connect with BNSF, but no interchange ever takes place (to my knowledge).

The SP line continued on into Brea, and was actually part of the Pacific Electric system. Some of the old grade can be seen heading up throught the hills of La Habra. At one time, I believe, SP had surveyed the Brea Canyon with the intent to build a line through there, but it ended up terminating in a Brea industrial park.

The UP merger caused the dual operation of the line to become redundant, and so UP abandoned their section of the branch and pulled up the tracks, probably because their line went over more grade crossings. The SP part of the line continues west toward Los Nietos, which is also the place where all the traffic heading toward the Santa Ana Branch starts out.

The big truss bridge over Wittier Blvd. is quite impressive, and it's the only bridge I know of around here that's lettered for the Salt Lake Route, which was a subsidiary of UP back at the turn of the century (1900). The line went through some very scenic areas of uptown Whittier, and several of the crossings had wig-wag signals (long since removed and/or stolen). I know of very few pictures of trains running over this line, save for a few a friend of mine got in the 1980's. I'm not sure if there was a station in Whittier (I imagine their was, although it may have been PE, not UP), but I do know that the Old Spaghetti Factory, which is next to Fullerton staiton, is the former UP Fullerton station when they operated that far. It used to be right across from Santa Fe's station, and at Fullerton Railroad Days I even saw photos of McKeen wind-splitter cars on the line.

As for current operating practices on the branch, the train generally runs Monday, Wednesday and Friday (Wednesday for sure), usually in the morning. Power is similar to what you'd find on the Santa Ana Branch (GP15's and GP38's). It's a very interesting line, especially the part through the Fullerton hills, although not as predictable as the Santa Ana Branch.

Posts: 246 | From: Anaheim, CA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cajon
Member # 40

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cajon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The UP line actually continued east past Hunts Foods to Anaheim. It crossed the Santa Fe at Basta. The old UP Fullerton station is now the Speghetti Factory next to the old Santa Fe Fullerton Station. Part of the old mainline between Basta & Highland Av. is used by BNSF to park bare tables having been turned into a siding. Otherwise all the tracks between Basta & Anaheim have been removed. There is a switch now to join the UP w/ the BNSF there now. The UP Anaheim station is still standing & being used as a childrens museum? There was also a connection between UP & SP near there.
Posts: 249 | From: Downey CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a book called Union Pacific's Salt Lake Route (about $45-50) that describes the entire Salt Lake-Los Angeles route, including the branches. It includes a picture of the Salt Lake logo from the Whittier bridge.

One interesting note about this line...there used to be an old PE line that ran roughly parallel to it from La Habra to Fullerton. Some of that old PE line is now the "Juanita Cooke Trail" (it's even on the Thomas Guide) and it passes through some expensive neighborhoods.
There's a place where it crossed over the UP on a short girder bridge; that bridge is still there.

As for the SP/PE line to Brea, that line used to extend as far as Yorba Linda. There is a shopping ctr called Yorba Linda Station at the approx. location of the end of the line.
MP

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myford Browning
Member # 1987

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myford Browning     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a liitle more of the former UP Anaheim branch still in existance. The UP's last customer between Fullerton and Anaheim was an orange juice plant that at one time was operated by Minute Maid/Coca Cola, but I think it is another operator now. It is located just south of the SR 91 (Riverside Freeway) and the remaining UP trackage runs parallel to Metrolink. There is a spur that tankcar of corn syrup are stopped on.
The PE Yorba Linda line once extended a short distance beyond Yorba Linda to a site called Sterns.

Posts: 50 | From: Orange Calif | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for atsf3751   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who switches that spur - BNSF?
Posts: 246 | From: Anaheim, CA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coach asked when built and how old:
answer is built and opened (from junction with main line near San Gabriel River bridge to Anaheim) in 1923. The Whittier station was where the older wooden S.P. depot now stands(U.P. tore its own down but sold or donated the land to the city which was needed because S.P. had donated its depot building but no land. She also wished for pix. Aside from the few in my books, the only I have seen are those posted by Butts on t.o. board during past year or so(incl. both train on 5pts truss bridge and on Basta crossing).
3751 mentioned UP-SFe connection at Hunts, which should be noted as a strictly a modern development. They never connected there historically but only did so as a way to preserve competitive access to the Hunts property under the UP-SP merger. It is not intended for interchange purposes. He also suggests SP surveyed an extension through Brea Canyon which must be confused with the P.E. survey to connect Sterns with Riverside via S.A. Canyon as S.P. never did so in its own name.
Cajon suggests the Anaheim depot is a kids museum, although in fact it is a day care center. That U.P. depot now rests on the former AT&SF depot site, having been relocated from accross Lincoln Ave. when that thoroughfare was widened and the SFe building razed.
As for who switches the Coca Cola/Minute Made spur mentioned by Myford Browning, that would be a BNSF chore since it is the only one with any operating access there.
SFe once had a longer spur into the adjacent neighborhood to serve the Anaheim Sugar Company, now long gone. Mark Hemphill's color photo book mentioned by Palmer is nice, but a more informative account of the subject is John Signor's version, which includes a subchapter on the very branch in question. The P.E girder bridge overcrossing of the U.P. in Sunny Hills is illustrated by a photo in my book and a painting on the dust jacket of one volume as well.
Just my two cents for y'all from an XOCBoy.
BTW, someone in this thread suggested "S.A. Branch traffic originates at Los Nietos" which is not true..it originates at Colton, City of Industry and occassionally Roseville-Dolores from all recent accounts.

[This message has been edited by SteveD (edited 12-19-2002).]

[This message has been edited by SteveD (edited 12-19-2002).]

Posts: 216 | From: San Carlos, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Yep, you're right, SA Branch traffic does originate in Colton. What I was trying to say was that all trains heading toward that branch pass through there, and often can be found stopped there before they cross BNSF.
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the tip on the John Signor book (along with the other mentions/sources of info)...
MP

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myford Browning
Member # 1987

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myford Browning     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One minor comment about the UP and AT&SF at Basta (where the Hunts plant was). At an earlier time there apparently was a connection and joint track there. The reprint of the UP station and track book from around 1948 by the UP Historical Society showed a small amount of joint track, but no interchange.
I do not think that the UP had any official interchange in Orange County until the joint track with the PE in 1962, if ever.

Posts: 50 | From: Orange Calif | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
I actually got up early enough to chase the Fullerton local from Whittier to the Hunt's plant in Fullerton, so now I can post a little more info about this line's operation:

The local leaves between 7:30 and 8:00 (although today it was a bit later than that) after switching cars at Los Nietos. There are no industries between there and Whitter, so it's pretty much a straight shot all the way down to La Habra. The power was two UP GP38's (1840 on the point) and about 15 or so corn syrup cars and two loads of lumber. The lumber is switched out on a spur in La Habra (the first railroad crossing on Imperial) and the empties are added to the front of the train. It then heads down the branch toward Fullerton, passing through a canyon that roughly parallels Harbor Blvd. and then Bastanchury. The pace is very liesurely as there is some very tight curvature on this part of the line. The train finally crosses Malvern and enters the Hunt's plant where it pretty much disappears from view. There are some very good photo opportunities on this line, especially in the morning.

On a side note, I also caught the Costa Mesa local this morning on Santa Ana St. returning to Anaheim around 9:30 or so as well.

Myford Browning
Member # 1987

Rate Member
The line that the lumber yard in La Habra is on is the remains of thePacific Electric's Fullerton line.
The tankcar farm at the old Hunts plant site was for vegetable oil. Have they changed the comodity or could the cars been for Vegetable oil and not corn syrup. I haven't checked for a while.

atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Well, the tank cars said "Corn Syrup" on the side, so I assume that's what they were carrying, and yes, the lumber spur is ex-PE trackage.
Myford Browning
Member # 1987

Rate Member
Yesterday (1-11)I had a chance to go by the UP at Basta (Fullerton). Since the old Hunts plant has been torn down (mostly) and new warehouses built, it is much easier to look around. There are three tracks that serve customers: one to a warehouse that is still used by Con Agra (Hunts) and two track to the vegetable oil facility operated by Cargil. All the tank cars that I could read the writing on said the cars were for vegetable oil. I would assume that the UP serves another customer in the Los Nietos area that get corn syrup.
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
I've added some photos of this line to my website, so you can get an idea what it looks like. The photos are from various spots in Whittier, La Habra, and Fullerton
http://www.angelfire.com/ia3/socalrailfan/La_Habra.html

Paul Jansson
Member # 1388

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Jansson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On Monday the 20th I caught the Fullerton Local as it went out to Brea. First time I had seen this in many many years. It goes as far out as Berry St. where it switched out several covered hoppers at an industry there. It then backed to the jct. to head down to Fullerton.
Posts: 26 | From: La Mirada, CA USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myford Browning
Member # 1987

Rate Member
There is an active customer just east of Brea Blvd. A rubber company gets covered hoppers of carbon black on an irregular basis. One was seen there on 1-28-03

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page