RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Eastern US » freight schedules around Baltimore?

Author Topic: freight schedules around Baltimore?
hifidigital
Member # 2577

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hifidigital     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being new to all of this railfanning, I can't quite figure out how to decipher Allen Brougham's timetables for freight trains. I live in White Marsh and there are plenty of places to view the CSX tracks, but a schedule would be very handy.

Can someone help me out here?

Posts: 6 | From: baltimore, md | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
conrailkid
Member # 1898

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for conrailkid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a scanner would be more helpful than a schedule for the freight trains. while plenty of trains use the philly sub, none truly operate on a schedule. all csx trains can be heard on a scanner, as required by rule, must call signals, that is, announce on the radio the train number, the signal location, and the indication on the signal, as well as direction of travel. also, at white marsh, is a defect detector.
Posts: 85 | From: owingsmills, md. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hifidigital
Member # 2577

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hifidigital     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Defect dector? Remember, I'm new.

So, I was gonna borrow my brothers scanner and with some freq. I found on the Internet, check for trains. What exactly am I listening for?

I assume the train will give its location based on some map that CSX has...either that or maybe based on crossing information?

Posts: 6 | From: baltimore, md | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAChooChoo
Member # 723

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JAChooChoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hifidigital:
Defect dector? Remember, I'm new.

So, I was gonna borrow my brothers scanner and with some freq. I found on the Internet, check for trains. What exactly am I listening for?

I assume the train will give its location based on some map that CSX has...either that or maybe based on crossing information?

My recommendation is that, as a newcomer to the Railfan "fraternity" that you try not to grasp it all immediately.

While Allen publishes the "schedules", don't plan on setting your watch by them. Freight trains have no real schedule and may operate at anytime.

A "Defect Detector" is an automated set of sensors that measure speed, number of axles, and dragging or overheating equipment. Then an automated announcement is made as to the normal or abnormal condition.

Most of the location information you need can be found in an Employee's Timetable. Generally out-of-date copies are available at Train Shows (often at Timonium Fairgrounds).

Railroads are not like I-95, locations are not as frequent or clearly marked. They are, however, generally milepost-based.

You might try latching on to one or more fans and learn from them.

The Railfans of the Baltimore Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society (including Allen and myself) meet at 800pm on the Second Monday of each month at the Baltimore Streetcar Museum - which, if you've not been there is adjacent to the CSX mainline. Visitors are always welcome.

Welcome aboard!

Please feel free to E-Mail me at JAChooChoo@aol.com

Alan

Posts: 29 | From: Baltimore MD | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
conrailkid
Member # 1898

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for conrailkid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry to jump to the conclusion that you have had some experience with railfanning. glad to hear that you are intrested in it. as i mentioned before, freight trains generally are run when crews are available, and while the railroad would like to have them on a schedule, delays of whatever reason can push the trains' time back, or forward. since you have a scanner, and the frequencies you need, all you need to do is listen for the trains. as you mentioned before, you know of white marsh. there are a few places around there to safely watch trains. while an old timetable could be of use, a better item to get is a map of the subdivision. it has the names of all roads, bridges, streams and signals on it. by using this, when you hear a train calling the signal on the radio, you can figure out is it is eastbound or west, and it's location. copies are available at train shows, through railfan groups, or you might be able to get one from an employee. hope you get lots of good pix, and remeber, be safe and careful!
Posts: 85 | From: owingsmills, md. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C&OH-8Alley
Member # 2643

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for C&OH-8Alley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Visit www.gottrains.com

Thanks Scott

Posts: 4 | From: EB WV | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page