RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Hot boxes on Amtrak

Author Topic: Hot boxes on Amtrak
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An Amtrak train with a hot box?

Have you ever been riding on Amtrak and there was a hot box on bored, what happend?, what did Amtrak do about it, and can the locomotrives get a hot box?

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KA6BGJ
Member # 662

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KA6BGJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Say Jonathon, Can you please tell me what a Hot Box is?
Posts: 88 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hot Box: Overheated wheel journal or wheel bearing which usually causes journal packing to burn and smoke. or Overheating of the axle hub due to bearing failure. Metal-on-metal friction generates heat and eventually will melt a 6-inch-diameter steel axle. When the axle bearing messes up, it grinds away at the axle and can catch fire or melt.

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

[This message has been edited by JONATHON (edited 12-11-2003).]

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KA6BGJ
Member # 662

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KA6BGJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the explaination. I learned something new today. I never even heard of a HOTBOX before. Thanks again Jonathon for the insight.
Posts: 88 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hot boxes can, and often do, cause derailments. That's why there are so many hot box detectors around.

We did get triggered by one once, on the Lake Shore Ltd. But it was a false reading and we carried on. All they do is check it visually (they know roughly which axle because the detector tells them). If it is okay then they can proceed, otherwise, depending on the severity, they'll carry on to the next siding at reduced speed and leave the offending car on the house track for maintenance to deal with later.

Locos are equally susceptible since they have wheels too. ;-)

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you wanna hear hot box detectors go crazy, listen to a scanner while riding behind a steam loco! To avoid stopping every few miles, the crew will get permission to ignore them if the detector is reporting a hotbox under the firebox.
Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hotbox was a term that is as old as friction bearings, and as noted it depicts one of these bearings that was lubricated with rags that had been immersed in oil.

Even as late as the "fifties' railroads were ordering freight cars equipped with friction bearings; I think it was the "thirties" for passenger cars.

The term used today is Defective Equipment and that condition is reported to the crew by means of a lineside device known as a Defective Equipment Detector, or DED. Defective Equipment not only includes overheated bearings but also dragging equipment; some Detectors can even report shifted loads.

On an Auto Train ride during Feb 01 (in our waning days of "normalcy"), #53 had a hotbox on an auto carrier; it was mildly hot and the train was able to continue to Sanford as opposed to setting it out. Had the latter occurred, you can be sure MY auto would have been in it.

From listening to the Conductor's radio, the procedure was when the DED notified the crew of the problem, the train would be stopped and an inspection made. If the bearing can be touched with a bare hand, it's safe to proceed. The train would then proceed at restricted speed (30mph) until the next DED was passed. If that passage was "negatoive' i.e. no report, then the train could return to normal speed (70mph). However, if return to normal speed caused a subsequent DED to issue a report, then we start the procedure all over again.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 12-12-2003).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gilbert:

You want to be careful about touching the bearing cap with your hand! Usual procedure is to use a Tempilstick, basically a crayon that melts at 200 degrees F. If it leaves a mark, the bearing is hot.

There are about 50 to 100 hot bearing caused derailments per year in the US, despite detectors. Problem is, a roller bearing can heat up and fail very quickly (unlike a friction bearing, which can stay hot for quite a while before the axle burns off). Solution is probably some sort of on-board monitoring, rather than use of wayside detectors.

And yes, locos can get hotboxes too, but it's relatively uncommon.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on the Empire Builder once,when the lead F40 set off two consecutive detectors,so the unit was set out at the next siding.We continued to the next station with one unit running long end forward.Naturally this was at reduced speed.At the next station,we picked up a BN SD40-2.This unit led all the way to Seattle.

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This has been fascinating. I've often read the term hotbox before, but I didn'tknow what it was. Thanks for the education.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rresor,
On my last trip to Fullerton, I seen an Amtrak Surflinner comming from L.A. and its locomotive was smoking from undernieth.

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

mrhall53
Member # 1580

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrhall53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We were on the CZ, eastbound, and the train stopped in the middle of Iowa. We were there for about 15 minutes. We asked, and an attendant told us that a detector had reported a hotbox, but also had reported too many axles. So the crew got out and checked on the number of axles before we proceeded.
Posts: 58 | From: Owensboro, KY USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JONATHON:
Rresor,
On my last trip to Fullerton, I seen an Amtrak Surflinner comming from L.A. and its locomotive was smoking from undernieth.

Could be the Surfliner that had a hotbox that I heard on my scanner a few weeks ago. The engineer radioed the dispatcher about it and the train stopped for a while to check it out. Never did find out what happened as the train got too far away for my scanner to pick it up anymore.

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A year ago I was on the westbound Capitol Ltd approaching MartinsburgWV, when the DED's "voice" said there was a hotbox. I don't know what inspection the crew made, but they did not stay that long at the stop and the train seemed to proceed on without any incident.

Those with scanners or near the conductors with radios can hear the DED "voice" as train passes by indicate track #, axle #s, and hopefully the words "No Defects".

MP

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on the Carolinian once,when we passed a detector that reported too FEW axles!WE allegedly had 23 axles.The train did not stop to investigate.

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

[This message has been edited by espeefoamer (edited 12-15-2003).]

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard numerous HABDs give too many axles and the train has never stopped. I've only heard one comment from the engineer who said words to the effect of "Looks like we've picked up another wagon".

Never heard one give too few, but I'd imagine that was more important as it might have meant something dropping off the rear (perhaps with isolated brakes). Perhaps the engineers looked out the window and could still see their last car?

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well this is new, looks like we taught Mr. Toy something.

Sorry Mr. T- it's just so rare!

------------------
F40PH #757099-8
March 29, 1976-August 17, 2001
Best of the best, requisecat in pacis

P42DC #53063
Now only around 2.4 million miles to go

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didnt know what it was either until I read this.
Ive heard it but now I know

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page