RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Late train question?

Author Topic: Late train question?
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been folowing the curent train #3 scheduled to arrive in La this morning, and it is running extremely late for the Chief.

I'm worried because this train will turn into train #4 later this evening, the one I'll be on! If it arrives in La more than five hours late, I fear there will be delays to my train.

What's the chance of the Amtrak crews in La swaping the Sunset consist for the Chief?

The Sunset arrived a bit ahead of schedule this morning. If the Chief arrives into La, as their estimate says, there would be enough time to clean, service, and ready the Chief for the Sunsets departure time of 10:30 PM. But It will be a close call for the Chief's normal departure time of 6:45 PM.

So what do the "experts" out there think will happen? (my guess is no change and a departure of around 9:00PM from Fullerton )

Oops almost forgot;
Anyone know what happened to the Chief between Barstow and San Bernardino? She was running less than an hour late (usual for the Chief) but something caused her to loose several hours. I thought I heard something about a derailment in Cajon on my scanner, but it is almost imposible for my scanner to pick up radio comunications that far away. But it sounded like one of the main lines had to be closed. Making a major conjestion and leading to the Chief loss of time. But what I heard was so fuzzy I can't be sure.

[This message has been edited by Southwest Chief (edited 12-26-2003).]

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rains and mudslides in the area are the likely cause. Local news should give info.
Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The local news has been less than adequate. The only mudslides they are reporting are ones that went through campsites and the burn area. However, one such site was at Devore, and this is near the line. So mud slides are probably the blame.

Guess its good BNSF takes it easy when there are heavy rains. We don't want what happend near Kingman a few years back when a bridge washout derailed the Southwest Chief to occur again.

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt if there would be a swapping of #4(26th) consist with #2. The reason is that 3-4 "Chief' are assigned S-1's, 1-2 are assigned S-II's.

I know all Superliners are the same to UENI, but apparently are not to Amtrak's Mechanical Department.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hate to disagree, but I have read that the consists are swapped occasionally if necessary. I have also seen Superliner Is on the Sunset...

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page