RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Sunset: Heal it or Kill It!

Author Topic: Sunset: Heal it or Kill It!
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 8 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Allright, I'm starting to believe the The Sunset Limited is the red-headed stepchild of the Amtrak System. Amtrak needs to literally declare war on UP! THe train averages 2 to 3 hours behind in each direction. The train has ample recovery time in the schedule but UP just wastes it! If LD trains are to survive, they need to shed the stigma of being chronicly late. Amtrak is only as strong as its weakest link and the Sunset very well may be Amtrak's weakest link (I find it ironic the Amtrak's tardiest trains just happen to ride on UP steel...hmm!). It's time to heal the service or kill it!

Patrick

Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tempting as it is to make an either/or proposition, I think killing it would create more problems than it solves. Removing a weak link completely breaks the chain, no? I think having it, even in its current state, is better than not having it. Amtrak has openly defied political pressure to eliminate it because that would cost more in lost revenue than it would save in reduced costs.

Fixing it would be much better, of course. It really needs to be a daily, and splitting the route at New Orleans is worth serious study. Re-routing might be an option, but then you alienate towns that get bypassed.

Part of UPs problem is that the line is a heavily congested freight route, and I suspect that UP doesn't have the capital to make improvements. Sooner or later something there will have to give. Like David Gunn says, Amtrak is just the canary in the coal mine. The freight system has trouble, too, but it just isn't as obvious.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 03-14-2004).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We need a daily Sunset, especially in Houston, the 4th largest city in our Nation.

The Sunset is the ONLY Amtrak train we have in Houston. We also need a daily to Denver and a high speed triangle between Houston, DFW, and San Antonio.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JFB
Member # 2520

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JFB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Smith brings up the most pertinent point in any discussion on the Sunset--the fact that it is the only train connecting the Gulf Coast cities.

San Antonio-Houston-New Orleans deserves better than thrice-weekly service. Same for New Orleans-Jacksonville. And to step farther afield, the Texas Triangle (San Antonio-Austin-DFW-Houston-San Antonio), though lengthy, is a corridor just begging for frequent service.

I do, however, disagree with Mr. Smith on one point: Brooklyn is the 4th largest city in the USA, not Houston. Forget the Great Mistake of (18)98. We still snub the island next door.

Posts: 60 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by amtraxmaniac:
[B]Allright, I'm starting to believe the The Sunset Limited is the red-headed stepchild of the Amtrak System.

It seems that there has always been 'a red-headed stepchild' to attract the ire of those who seek an example of "everything that is wrong with Amtrak". We've all heard the arguments.......'the train is late', 'the train is empty', 'it would be cheaper to buy everyone on it a plane ticket' yada, yada, yada.

So over the years we've lost the 'red-headed stepchildren' trains one by one. The Floridian went away. The Mountaineer and Hilltopper went away. The National Limited went away. The Pioneer went away. The Desert Wind blew past. The Pennsylvanian west of Pittsburgh went away. The Kentucky Cardinal has flown the coop (and there had been some ridership interest until the sleeper was pulled). The International is retrenching......though it will be nice having the Blue Water back...

Point is that there has been too much 'killing it' and not enough 'fixing it'. If we lose the Sunset then the forces allied against rail passenger service will find another LD train to work on. I'm afraid that the system is so skeletal now that the next trainoff could be the beginning of the end.

------------------
David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had the Incorporators been more "visionary" regarding serving regions that had the potential to grow, they would have paid more attention to the Sunset Route and possibly routed the Chi-LA train over the pre-existing RI-SP Golden State.

But they, or their consultants, were more fixated on historical routes, and the potential for "end to end" business.

After all, when they "flew" about, wouldn't they likely have selected non-stop flights for their travels?

Lastly, lest we forget that during 1950 when Phoenix had a population of some 106,000, SP offered set-out sleepers to there from both Chi and LA. Never mind what you get today with an elevenfold population increase to some 1,371,000.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 03-15-2004).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr Smith,

Houston/San Anton/Dallas service is not within the province of Amtrak under statute. That is 403(b) service ... where Amtrak is an operator on behalf of one of the States.

Houston - Denver (aka the Texas Zephyr redux): You may be right, but it's Kay Bailey who's going to get it for you. Write her, often...

To others: You're blaming the Union Pacific, but guess what: Prior to the UP/SP merger, SP had the Slow Boat to New Orleans!!! SP's running of the Sunset (which includes the precedent of tri-weekly service) as an unsatisfactory train is part of the evidence Congress used to create Amtrak.

Lest we forget: SP brought us vending machine cars!

John

------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although the Sunset Limited runs less than frequently, and is usually late, it remains a popular train.

It's also the first (and only) true coast-to-coast / trancontinental train in U.S. history.

For all of the above reasons, I can't see any reason to discontinue it.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you mention the former Golden State Route via Tucumcari NM as the alternate Chicago to Los Angeles route, there are several things you need to remember:

1. The Golden State was already dead before Amtrak. The Super Chief was alive and well.

2. The Rock Island bankruptcy and liquidation occured post-amtrak. By A-day their track conditions were already pathetic. Remember Chicago to Peoria? Plugging along at 25 to 40 mph for 150 miles or for 250 miles across Indiana on Penn Central was one thing, but to have a run on the "Rock" at that rate for over 500 miles Topeka to Tucumcari, and then on to the tender lovig care of the SP? It would have killed the service outright.

Yes to lose Pheonix was a disaster, for which we can thank the myopic government of Arizona, including particularly one US senator. Which brings me to:

What is a crying need for Amtrak is for the congress critters to come up with a program to bring passenger lines with little freight up to good conditions. My thoghts would be, more or less in order of priority.

1. The Pheonix Line
2. The Santa Fe passenger line across New Mexico, Colorado and Kansas. This could be brought up to 110 mph for about the same cost that would get it into good condition for 90 mph.
3. The MoPac passenger line across Missours, St. Louis to Poplar Bluff
4. The Memphis to Jackson MS Illinois Central passenger line through Grenada MS, which is both faster and serves more people that the freight line currently used by the CNO. Maybe this should be No. 1 since it is in part up for abandonment.
5. Chicago - Indianapolis - Louisville

The Pheonix line is number one because of Pheonix. Given the traffic on the Sunset Route, I do not understand why UP did not upgrade this so they could use directional running for their freights in this area.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally agree with all of youe points, Mr. Harris. Note that I did not state "they should have selected the Golden State over the Santa Fe.

What I would think all here would find interesting is the Route Selection Criteria Report that was submitted by the Incorporators to the President pursuant to the RPSA 1970. (translated, we know that means from the consultants such as Booz Allen, Arthur Andersen, et magna alia, to some "lowerling" in the DOT).

This document contained reasone why a particular route was selected over an alternate. From once having reviewed this document over thirty years ago, it appeared the Incorporators, as I noted earlier, were "fixated" on end point business. Putting the CHI LA route aside, that was their reasoning for selecting the GN for the CHI SEA route over the NP which served a more populous area of Montana. I do not recall any mention of the meritorious argument that the GN (existing Empire Builder route) serves an area of Montana "underserved" by air and highway alternatives.

It was of course "C'est le vie" that I had to surrender my copy when I left the industry during 1981, but I can't think of any reason that information has been withheld from the Public Domain.

If you can find it somewhere, it makes interesting reading.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 03-17-2004).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is true that the Sunset ran late under SP ownership,but never as late as the UP consistantly does today.The same thing is true of the Coast Starlight.
Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is true that the Sunset ran late under SP ownership,but never as late as the UP consistantly does today.The same thing is true of the Coast Starlight.

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gilbert Norman:

Yes, I agree with you totally on the weird fixations that seemed to be in the "studies" done by and for Amtrak. My opinion is that a major factor has always been the fixation on the northeast plus a few big cities. There has never seemed to be an appreciation that there are a lot of people that actually live in "the great flyover". I mention the ICRR Grenada district as an example. Even well into Amtrak, there would be 20 or more people on the platform for each of the City of New Orleans stops in these towns of 5,000 to 20,000 people that are now bypassed.

A lot of money was also burned in the early NECIP days in pointless studies by people with little or no railroad understanding. It would have been far better spent on rails, ties, ballast, and new turnouts. There seemed to be much more interest in developing pretty studies than in really determining what most needed to be done and then getting at it. Working at the time for a civil engineering company that had a small piece of design work for some of the facilities, I was astounded at some of the small minded "turf wars" that wasted time and money and the mulitudinous irrelevant issues that were plugged in that ran up costs.

Of course there was waste on the ties and rail side as well. I watched a tie gang pull out ties that had a lot of life left in them just to show high production rates.

Some of that rail and tie money actually wasted in the northeast would have been better spent on the Penn Central lines in Indiana and other areas where it would have benefited long distance trains.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Harris--

Your comments regarding consultants (I never have been one) reminds me of an episode here in Chicago during the "interregnum" between Daleys.

During January 1979, the city got "pasted' with the white stuff and "the city that works" simply didn't.

In an effort to hang on to his job, and with a general mayoral election in March, the incumbent comissioned some consultants to write a report on efficient snow management.

Well, when the report was released (after, might I say the voters "retired" him in favor of a woman "reformer" best remembered as "Calamity Jane"), a local newspaper columnist commented that he would be happy to write the City a two word report for which he would chargre $100,000 a word and in the process save the City some "heap big wampum";

His report in its entirety: "Remove it".

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Espeefoamer - concerning the Sunset running late under SP, the answer to your question is YES. Back in the 70's, it was common for SP to lay out freight cars on the main line in the middle of nowhere simply to protest AMTRAK running on their lines. You are also right that the SP Sunset was rarely as late as the UP Sunset now is....

Wow - a "marriage made in heaven," between SP and UP.......

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
I'm sorry, Mr. Rich, but with respect, I must disagree.

This material originally posted at another board was lost resulting from a server "crash". It remains available through archive.org, but I must acknowledge I am not complete certain who presently holds the rights to such. http://web.archive.org/web/20020829222424/www.railroad.net/forums/messages.asp?TopicID=638

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 03-17-2004).]

CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know "on average" how late the SL is in arriving in Orlando ? I remember reading on this board that it is sometimes so late that the train terminates in New Orleans and passengers are bussed to points east. Does this still happen ? Thank you.
Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
M190
Member # 3009

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for M190     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recall Amtrak suing the SP sometime during the 70's over the Sunset and winning. Does anyone remember that?
Posts: 106 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RHerndon
Member # 3072

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for RHerndon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to remember reading that track work east of New Orleans would shut down the SL sometime this spring. Any information on this would be appreciated.

------------------
Tige

Posts: 6 | From: Paonia, CO | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BNSF 1088
Member # 2400

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BNSF 1088   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Sunset LTD will go to 4 times a week around April 15 2004 this is from an Amtrak engineer i know out of NOLA who works 1&2 as a reg engineer.
Posts: 210 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
While Mr. 1088's Locomotive Engineer friend may know more than the website, a just completed review of the site reveals that during the seven day period May 22-28, incl. over the segments JAX-NOL and ELP-LAX WB service will be at the existing tri-weekly frequency.
Steve O.
Member # 2993

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve O.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's quite possible that the website has not been updated yet.

This would be good news for the Sunset. It's a route which deserves more than three weekly departures that's for sure.

Posts: 135 | From: Atlanta, GA / New Orleans, LA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sunset Limited is one of the nicest routes--a pleasure to ride across the whole continent from Palatka, FL to LA without changing trains. I love it! Have done it 3 times! May it last forever and increase in frequency to 4 times a week. I don't care that it's late!
Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page