RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Palmetto/Silver star route changes

Author Topic: Palmetto/Silver star route changes
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Newswire reported these changes to be in place as of 11/1. The Palmetto will run as far as Savannah, and The Silver Star will go to Tampa with sleepers,etc. Will the Star also continue to serve some south Florida communities on the Atlantic coast?
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Silver Star will use the Atlantic Coast Line JAX-TPA, which means it will continue to use such JAX-Auburndale.

This means that Waldo (Gainesville), Ocala, and Wildwood will loose service - that is, if you consider a no Sleeper no Diner train passing SB during "somambulist" hours (think you'll need a medical dictionary for that one) and NB not much better, to be defined as service.

I'm certain Mr. Kairho will agree that this is a mistake. I realize the pilgrims must come to the rodent's shrine, but I simply think that two of those three communites noted offer more potential than does Palatka, DeLand, or Sanford.

Regarding the soon to be killed Seaboard service, if Wildwood were eliminated in place of a station at CR 42, that would be within 2 miles of The Villages. As I have noted here before, that community is 100,000 strong and growing. Everyone is of "train riding age" i.e. time and $$$$ to do so, and they "all came from somewhere".

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, Mr.Norman.
....somambulist = sleepwalker?

Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow........

These folks at Amtrak amaze me with their ability to find new ways to enact cutbacks from a 'national' network that is already skeletal......

By this new standard can we assume that any station presently served only between midnight and 7:30am is a candidate for losing it's passenger train?

OK......I'm turning my sarcasm off.....

I'm not surprised that the 'Three Rivers' is going......particularly following the speculation that Amtrak was about to exit the mail and express business.

I'm not surprised that the 'Palmetto' south of Savannah is going. The NYP-SAV version of this train was a success before and this change means improved schedules for stations in the Carolinas.

What does surprise me is that Amtrak would tag the 'Silver Star' with a cumbersome turn around to serve Tampa. I'm curious if each Silver Star will stop in Lakeland both coming and going from/to Tampa? I'm curious whether this altered 'Silver Star' will continue to offer Florida connections with North Carolina's Piedmont at Raleigh or Cary.

It seems to me that a separate Tampa section from either the Star or the Meteor (say a viewliner sleeper from the 'Three Rivers', a lounge, and two or three coaches) would be a better idea. Split it from the main train at Jacksonville with some of the soon to be laid off workforce that has previously been switching those roadrailers on and off the rear of Amtrak trains there. This train would actually 'serve' Waldo and Ocala during daylight hours.

Sarcasm back on.....

What an idea.......a train offering first class accomodations at daylight hours. This is a train that people might actually ride. Why not give it a chance?

------------------
David Pressley

[This message has been edited by notelvis (edited 09-08-2004).]

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Capltd29
Member # 3292

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capltd29   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What would a New Silver Star Schedule look like?
Posts: 143 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Capltd29:
What would a New Silver Star Schedule look like?

Initial press release indicates train 91 (southbound) arriving in Tampa at 10:35am and train 92 (northbound) departing Tampa at 5:22pm.

That would mean 92 is in Jacksonville around 11:00pm and 91 would be into Jacksonville around 5:00am. Even with a 'faster' schedule north of Jacksonville it is unlikely that the connection to/from the Piedmont will stay in place UNLESS that schedule is also adjusted.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

------------------
David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
North American Railroader
Member # 3398

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted      Profile for North American Railroader     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Amtrak report stated that the new Silver Star schedule will be "faster" but what I am wondering is faster than what? There is no way on Earth that the Silver Star could run faster while taking a detour via Tampa. Also, another question in my mind is why they are cutting the Palmetto at Savannah. If you ask me, Jacksonville is th logical choice: A larger city with more business, a better car storage facility, and it's only about two or three hours further than Savannah. I just don't understand why Amtrak is doing all this, it seems to me that there are other trains I'd cut/reroute before these (If I were forced to). Also, why don't they split the Star at JAX, run half down the current line to Miami and the other via Orlando to Tampa. I would think that the 45 min to an hour needed to cut the train would be a lot less of a delay than taking a detour to Tampa and then back. In fact, about twenty of those 45 - 60 min. are already scheduled in Jacksonville. I also can't believe that Amtrak is cutting the Pennsylvania service to Chicago. Amazing, if it were me, I'd combine the Three Rivers and the Pennsylvanian and continue the run to Chicago, but me, Amtrak isn't!

[This message has been edited by North American Railroader (edited 09-08-2004).]

Posts: 82 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agree with Jacksonville as southern terminal. Never did understand the southern terminus at Savannah in the first incarnation of this train. Even if it means a very late arrival, early departure it would surely pick up enough riders at Jacksonville to make it worthwhile.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see any indication that the "Star" would continue to serve Miami as well as Tampa. I understood it was NYP - TPA and that was it.

I'm also amused by the "45 to 60 minute" estimate for splitting the Star into a West Coast and East Coast section at Jax. Way back when, Seaboard used to split both the Meteor and the Star at Wildwood. Both carried obs cars, so a complicated series of moves was required to cut off the obs, double over the West Coast section, add the obs back to the Miami section, etc. Total time required? Less than 20 minutes.

Why does it seem that we're going backward?

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sayeth the press release, Mr. Resor.

(excerpted): The Florida cities of Lakeland and Tampa, now served by the Palmetto, will be served instead by the New York-Orlando-Miami Silver Star. Sleeping car and dining car service to Tampa will be restored, with First class passengers from St. Petersburg, Sarasota, and Fort Myers having a much shorter bus ride to Tampa instead of Orlando. The Silver Star will operate at a more convenient time at Tampa (5:22 p.m. northbound and 10:35 a.m. southbound) than the Palmetto and operate on a one-hour faster schedule between New York and Florida"

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
I guess we can start calling the train the Silver Zigzag to define it's route in Florida.
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not that long ago, both the Star and the Meteor split in Jacksonville into 2 sections -- it was a relatively easy split, didn't take a lot of time. Is that what will be happening again?

Many years ago, the 2 trains used to split in Auburndale, with one section headed to MIA and one section headed to TPA.

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
My understanding is nothing will be split. Both Meteor and Star will depart Jacksonville/Moncrief exactly as they do today on the ACL.

Difference will be that the Star will now continue on the ACL to Tampa. The Meteor will continue to interchange to the SAL @ Auburndale.

No longer will any train depart JAX, and head for Baldwin after interchange to the SAL - the "sub-bus" (in case anyone thinks bustitution is getting worn out) will depart from the front of the Station.

Of interest, there will be a restoration of service on Nov 1; namely the (a guess) .04 mile between the switch for the SE quadrant and SW (built by the State during 1982) @ Auburndale. Passenger trains will again "clank" over the SAL-ACL "diamond".

Note to younger Members who only know CSX; use of the predecessor roads makes it far easier for us "older heads" to know what goes where.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 09-13-2004).]

rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, no they won't "clank over the ACL/SAL diamond". The last time I went that way, the diamond had been pulled. This happened when CSX abandoned Coleman - Auburndale a decade or so ago. Actually, this was what caused Amtrak to consider the Tampa reverse move. Trains via the former SAL had to run via Dade City to Lakeland, then turn back east to Auburndale and run via the aforementioned connection in the SW quadrant of the former crossing.

Somebody at Amtrak noticed that, heck, when you're at Lakeland you're only 60 miles from TPA -- and an idea was born.

Sigh! I remember Wildwood as it was, and the very fast SAL from Wildwood to WPB.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Running the Star on a dogleg from Auburndale to Tampa and back is just plain stupid! It will add about 3 hours to the trip no matter what Amtrak says and will drive through passengers crazy. They already have messed up the Star by arriving southbound into Miami at rush hour instead of the traditional early afternoon and now will compound matters by making passengers look at the same scenery between Auburndale and Tampa. This also is likely to make JAX times unacceptable and will drive away this steady market. This is just another example trading passenger convenience for operational convenience.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by SilverStar092:
Running the Star on a dogleg from Auburndale to Tampa and back is just plain stupid! It will add about 3 hours to the trip no matter what Amtrak says and will drive through passengers crazy. They already have messed up the Star by arriving southbound into Miami at rush hour instead of the traditional early afternoon and now will compound matters by making passengers look at the same scenery between Auburndale and Tampa. This also is likely to make JAX times unacceptable and will drive away this steady market. This is just another example trading passenger convenience for operational convenience.

Agreed........

It would be so not difficult to operate a separate Tampa section from Jacksonville via Ocala.......even if the separate section is merely a locomotive, a viewliner sleeper, a lounge car, and two amfleet coaches.

The operating crews are already employed. The manpower necessary to split and rejoin the train in Jacksonville already works there shuttling the roadrailers on and off the train. With the planned removal of the Three Rivers sleeper November 1 the additional equipment for a Tampa section with sleeper is there.

This plan is just so poor it makes one wonder.

------------------
David Pressley

Fla1
Member # 2989

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fla1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak on-screen information for November is showing the southbound Silver Star as scheduled to arrive in Jacksonville at 4:50 am. We'll see how many people that attracts for the announced Ambus from Jacksonville to Gainesville and Ocala, and how long the bus service will survive.

A separate section from Jacksonville to Tampa via Ocala would provide better service to the booming population growth of this section of Florida.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that the present plan has no advantages. The Ocala route always used to be well patronized when it was served at a decent hour. A separate section of the Star would do great business there. I'd rather see the old SCL practice of running the Miami section via the faster Ocala route and sending the Tampa train via Orlando. However, the Tampa train would likely work better via Ocala because of its smaller capacity.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maryann
Member # 2585

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for maryann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You all know so many details - but- I must say-it confuses me for my one little trip (this year)- I'm scheduled to go from West Palm Beach, FL to Richmond, VA on Oct. 21.

Where will I go, is the schedule (times) the same - Oct. 21-12:00 noon (approx,) and Richmond Oct. 22-8 o (approx)am.

Any help will be apprec, thanks, Maryann.

PS, we do have a sleeper reserved.

Posts: 32 | From: westpalmbeach,fl | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
The changes to the schedules will be made with the Timetable effective 201AM Nov 1.
Fla1
Member # 2989

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fla1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been speaking with City of Ocala officials about the new Ambus service to replace the Star between Jacksonville and Dade City/Lakeland.

In my opinion, the best solution would be to split the train at Jacksonville, but that's not going to happen. THEREFORE, I am sugggesting the southbound bus meet the Silver Meteor in Jacksonville (at its new arrival time of 7:50 AM) instead of meeting the southbound Silver Star (arriving at 4:50 AM).

I would like your reactions (pro, con, problems) to these questions:

1) What do you think of having the southbound Ambus meet the Meteor in Jacksonville (instead of meeting the Star)?

2) Do you think it might be feasible for the Ambus to go as far as Wildwood and then turn east to Sanford or DeLand? (Sanford would provide the opportunity to serve The Villages and Mt Dora. DeLand would provide the opportunity for Ambus service to and from Daytona Beach.)

I realize these suggestions do not help Dade City, but Dade City is only about 35-40 miles away from Lakeland or Tampa. I suspect people in Dade City would prefer to use Amtrak stations in Lakeland or Tampa rather than a five hour bus trip to or from Jacksonville.

What do you all think?

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would be easier to comment if I could find a copy of the new "Ocala" AmBus schedule. Is there a copy online somewhere?
Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
On the new Amtrak website it states that the New York to Miami run will be 30 hours and 19 minutes on the Silver Star. The Silver Meteor travel time will be 27 hours. It would be much better for Amtrak to use some of the helpful suggestions mentioned here.
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Not that long ago, both the Star and the Meteor split in Jacksonville into 2 sections -- it was a relatively easy split, didn't take a lot of time. Is that what will be happening again?"

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the next move with the spring 2005 timetable change.

On the routes where these trains operate over the same trackage (i.e. Northeast Corridor, south of Jacksonville), they are scheduled within 1 to 4 hours a part (except the northbound Silver Star due to excessive padding). The current "spacious" schedule currently in place will be lost.

And the portions where these trains operate over different trackage - it will largely be the wee hours of the morning.

Northbound - New schedule has the Star/Meteor leaving Miami within less than 2 hours of each other. Old schedule has the Star/Meteor leaving Miami within 4 hours of each other.

Southbound - New schedule has the Star/Meteor leaving NYC within 4 hours of each other, with arrival time into Miami within less than an hour of each other. Old schedule allowed for Star/Meteor leaving over 7 hours of each other, with arrival time into Miami 4 hours of each other.

Silver Service has had good ridership increases. Looking forward to how these new schedule changes will pan out.

Also, with these new schedules, they might as well split the train in Jacksonville. Too many connections are being lost with the new Silver Meteor's schedule (i.e. Lake Shore Limited, Vermonter, Three Rivers/Pennsylvanian, Cardinal, etc.). Silver Meteor loses descent southbound arrival times into Charleston and Savannah -used to be a nice overnight service from New York/DC. Amtrak also loses the versatilty of same-day run-throughs of equipment (i.e. inbound Lake Shore Limited/Cresecent/Silver Meteor turns to become the same day outbound Silver Meteor). The loss of the the Three Rivers' Viewliners (3 in total) has afforded the new equipment utilization that will take place. Poor use of equipmnt in my opinion.

I've made other points on other posts regarding these Silver Service changes, but overall, I think it's a bad business decision and ridership is not going to increase as much as it could have.

Supposedly the Silver Star and Silver Meteor will operate with three Viewliners. It's often ignored, that this used to be the norm - before the Viewliner maintenance debacle that occurred in the past year.

Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page