RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Shake, rattle and roll!

Author Topic: Shake, rattle and roll!
M190
Member # 3009

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for M190     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As some of you may know, I live in Bakersfield, Ca. We just got hit with a 5.0 quake centered 11 miles NNW of Keene or 23mi E. of B-town. Bet they'll be some busy inspection crews tonight on Tehachapi! YEEHAAAWWW!
Posts: 106 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hang in there M190! Hope all is well. Sounds like it.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You got one, too? I wasn't aware. I'm still quiverin' from Monterey County's 6.0 yesterday.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No major damage reported in Keene?
Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having experienced Coalinga during May 1983, one is enough. So are hurricanes, having experienced Carol August 31, 1954.
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on the a Santa Fe passenger train, Golden Gate I think, from Oakland to Barstow in 1952 and traveled through Tehachapi on the SP the day before the big one collapsed several tunnels.
In the Air Force at that time I thought little about the event because of greater consequences in my life, but in retrospect and having experienced two additional "Day
Before" events I consider myself to have a somewhat charmed life.

I was in the Chicago McCormick Place theatre with about 2000 people the night before it burned to the ground and was having a picnic lunch in a city park at El Dorado, KS which was destroyed by a tornado the next day.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
M190
Member # 3009

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for M190     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All is well here in B-town. Being a bit of an amateur seismo-head it was kinda fun really. This is probably my tenth quake and was by far the strongest movement I've felt. Northridge in '94 was more of a steady shake where this was a roll. I actually felt the ground wave pass under my desk! What does this have to do with Amtrak? Nothing!

Allen

Posts: 106 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will this affect the Starlight?

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ
EMD455@Blue-Rail.com

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not so sure how close the Starlight route goes to to the Parkfield epicenter, but it definitely runs through the neighborhood. I haven't heard any reports that rail service was disrupted, though. After any quake, the tracks are inspected, and that slows things down for a few hours. Given the large number of aftershocks multiple inspections may be required.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page