RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Meet Julie

Author Topic: Meet Julie
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Professional voice talent Julie Stinneford, 41, "mother of two"
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/24/nyregion/24voice.html

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 11-24-2004).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Mr. Norman, that's a wonderful story. Good for you to find it! Think of all the voices the NYT could have done the story about - but they chose Julie! Somebody in the AMTRAK PR department is paying attention. As an aside, I find it ironic that Sprint, a company in the communications industry, couldn't get its communication right.

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
patsym
Member # 556

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for patsym     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would really like to read this article but I'll be darned if I am going to put all my personnel information in to the New York Times just to read it. Thanks anyway.
Posts: 11 | From: Pilot Rock, OR | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Dear patsym,

I'll give you two options:

1. The article can be emailed to you, which I'm happy to do.
2. If someone will tell me how to do it, I can probably post the article to this board.

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've forwarded this link to my wife so that she can finally put a 'face' with my 'mistress'.......you good people know how it works, Everytime I give Julie a call I go off for days on another 'train ride'.

------------------
David Pressley

[This message has been edited by notelvis (edited 11-24-2004).]

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To paste the article here, all you need do is ring it up at the site, move your cursor through the text, right click copy, open a post message field here, thence click paste. Voilla, you jave sucessfully pasted the article here.

However, I would suggest restraint in so doing here or any other board. Such is copyrighted material and the price for reading such at the web is registration and sharing personal information with the Times.

They do spam, but be assured such is in good taste.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL, NotElvis! My wife says exactly the same thing, that I have periodic flings with Julie.
Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW! She looks much like I pictured her. Right hair color, though in a different style. And her name really is Julie! I'll have to stop putting her name in "quotation marks."

This is one area where Amtrak has really done it right. It shows that Amtrak does want to do customer service well, even if it doesn't always hit the mark.

I've used other speech recognition systems that don't work nearly as well. Last week, in fact, I got fed up with one at PG&E, which required you to memorize complex phrases, instead of simple one or two word answers. Plus it kept sending me in circles. I finally gave up and hit "0".

Lesson of the day: good programming and easy navigation are more important than the voice. But a pleasant voice personality is the icing on the cake.

BTW, I've been registered with the NYT for several years, and I've never gotten any spam. It has been awhile since I went through the registration process, but I think they had an opt-out check box. Go ahead and sign up. Its easy and worth it.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know why websites have a "mail this to a friend" link? So they can add that email address to their junk mail list. I'm not saying that the NYT necessarily do so, just warning that this is what can happen.

Julie is pretty good, even at understanding a British accent, although every now and again I do have to "Americanize" my accent a little (sorry, "a leeddle").

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great story Mr. Norman.

Here is a link to the article without the NY times membership.
http://ecoustics-cnet.com.com/Amtrak's+computer+voice+stays+on+track/2100-1012_3-5465803.html

And to Patsym, I would not be concerned about giving personal info. to the NY times.

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoeR
Member # 2633

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was travelling on the Three Rivers in October '03, and I was talking to one of the sleeping car attendants who filled me in on who Julie is.. she actually was a train chief on the Auto Train! As soon as she said that I remember hearing her voice on a trip on the Auto Train a few years prior.
Posts: 38 | From: Highland, NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
patsym
Member # 556

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for patsym     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you CoastStarlight99 for the site without having to give all my personal history, and to everyone who responded. I usually don't mind answering questions until they get to my age and then I get a little touchy.
Posts: 11 | From: Pilot Rock, OR | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no prob
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coast Starlight - is there a picture of Julie on your link? I can't pull up any of the photos on that link -- they all show up as little "X's" in boxes
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NothinCouldBeFiner...
Member # 3832

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for NothinCouldBeFiner...     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My solution: LIE [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by patsym:
Thank you CoastStarlight99 for the site without having to give all my personal history, and to everyone who responded. I usually don't mind answering questions until they get to my age and then I get a little touchy.

Posts: 18 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by patsym:
I would really like to read this article but I'll be darned if I am going to put all my personnel information in to the New York Times just to read it. Thanks anyway.

In total agreement with you. Does anyone else see hypocricy in complaining about government nosiness and then demanding personal information so you can look at their newspaper? I sure do.

George

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page