RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Best Station Survey (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Best Station Survey
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are your favorite train stations in Amtrak's system? I've broken mine down by category (of course I can't speak for any of them east of Chicago, since I've never been further than that).

Most Overwhelming: CHI Union Station (also station most likely to get lost in).

Most picturesque: Three way tie: Los Angeles, San Diego, San Luis Obispo.

Most contemporary in appearance: Tie: Oakland-Jack London, Irvine, Bakersfield

In most need of a facelift: San Bernardino (if they haven't already)

Most Conveniently located: Reno, NV-hey, you jump of the Zephyr and your yards from the slots.

Least conveniently located/ also known as the "Where the Hell Are We?!" award: Maricopa, AZ.

Most "Historic" in feel: Tie: Denver Union and Sacramento. I think it would be a shame if they closed down the Depot in SAC-as I've heard discussion about.

The "Don't go outside the station building" award: Stockton, CA-San Joaquin St Station

Any other categories anybody would like to add?

------------------
Patrick

Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really like the job the North Carolina DOT is doing in refurbishing older train stations. Rocky Mount, NC (with 8 daily Amtrak trains) is a jewel. So is High Point, NC (with 6 daily passenger trains).

I'm eagerly awaiting the reopening of stations in Greensboro, NC and Hamlet, NC because that's where my first Amtrak trip about 30 years ago originated.

OK......so a new category......how about the hardest to find but still decent Amtrak Station?

I vote for Savannah, GA.

It's kind of in an industrial area off the main road miles from downtown and miles from Interstate-95.

I challenge anyone to find a sign directing you to it from US 80 eastbound. It's going to be a tough find.....particularly in the dark when most trains in the current timetable are due.

------------------
David Pressley

[This message has been edited by notelvis (edited 12-23-2004).]

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Judy
Member # 3278

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grandma Judy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about cutest unmanned rural station? I vote for Fort Edward, NY's classic red gable-roof design, painted sunny yellow with pots of petunias along the unused platform (you board the train from the street crossing nearby). Watch for it on the west side of the northbound Adirondack.

In most need of a facelift: Milwaukee (also a candidate for "don't leave the station")

[This message has been edited by Grandma Judy (edited 12-23-2004).]

Posts: 122 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I realize Mr. AmtrakManiac wisely recused from noting stations where his travels have yet to take him.

My vote is Washington Union Station for the most attractive, convenient, and functional station anywhere on the system.

Note at my profile where I reside.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I have the opposite problem--never been to any stations west of the Mississippi--never even been to the Chicago station. Though that will change when I do my SW trip . . . and I hope other longer trips in future. I must say, the Denver Station looked very nice, and tempting, when I saw it in the recent John Sayles film.

So, anyway, my vote for the most beautiful current Amtrak station of those I've been to, or at least through, is Union Station in Washington, DC. And my vote for the prettiest train station I've been in in all of North America is the Viarail station in Quebec City.

But the train station I was most excited to see is 30th St Station in Philadelphia--because of the association with the film Witness.

What is so terrible about Stockton? Is it an unsafe neighborhood? It's funny, I know so little about California, only there twice, and never to Stockton, which I think of as something from Wild West days, wasn't one of the big TV westerns set there?

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in Philadelphia, so I'll agree that Washington Union Station is probably "the best" in the Amtrak system. It's got shops, dining, a parking garage, Metrorail and Metrobus service, car rentals...and the Tourmobile stops out front.

#2, for me, would be good old 30th Street, not as opulent as WAS but still offering car rentals, parking, shopping, dining, and good transit and commuter rail connections -- plus a train to the airport (which of course Washington also has -- to two different airports, in fact).

Of the western stations, most simply do not offer the level of amenities you find in the NEC -- even Chicago, where there are no car rental offices in the station (or didn't use to be) and transit connections are not especially convenient.

Los Angeles Union Terminal is sadly underutilized, due I guess to a dispute with Catellus Real Property, but it does have excellent transit and commuter rail connections, plus Olvera Street out front. And it's a gorgeous building.

Denver, if it is successfully redeveloped, could become a hub like Washington. It now has light rail connections, and may have commuter rail, and it's right downtown.

But with Amtrak service as thin as it is in most parts of the country, there are precious few stations that offer the amenities we've come to expect from airports. It makes travel, especially business travel, kinda tough outside the NEC.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Los Angeles Union Passenger Terminal.

No more ever need be said!

------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
M190
Member # 3009

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for M190     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Portand, OR. Picturesque and functional.

Corcoran CA has a nice little station, new but in the old style, very impressive for such a tiny town.

Dumpiest terminal, King St. in Seattle but that's being remedied.

LAUPT is very simply a dear old friend full of magic.

Glendale is nice, keep expecting to see Barbara Stanwyk or Fred MacMurray.

My wtf award goes to Modesto, CA. Why is the building so far back from the tracks?

Rochester, NY is an interesting place. Unremarkable box of a 70's building, but the old passenger tunnels and old platforms can be seen is you look carefully.

Posts: 106 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was charmed by the station in Lamy NM while waiting on the Southwest Chief. It is staffed, but very small and quaint and picturesque and basically miles from anywhere which somehow seemed appropriate. I also was impressed by Portland station and, as mentioned above, by the level of activity when the Starlight pulls in.
Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been to quite a few. Washington DC,with their shops,food courtand elegance has to be #1. I love Los Angeles Union station..such nostalgia and their outdoor patio. In California,Oxnard and Bakersfield are quite nice as is Oakland. The two Portlands, Oregon and Maine are quite impressive. Last time I was in Portland,Me, free newspapers,breakfast items,juice and coffee were available to any passenger. Fullerton and Oceanside are in great settings in Southern California, and I'm always impressed with Chicago's Union station..just for the sheer amount of activity that occurs..talk about a transportation hub..wow!
Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My station experiences have been pretty limited. But here's my relatively uninformed list:

Worst rest rooms: Salinas, CA (I'm sure there are many others)

Best rest rooms: Salem, OR

Best exterior restoration of a previously dumpy station: Davis CA

Best interior restoration of a previously dumpy station: Salem, OR

Most interesting architecture for a new station: Oakland Jack London Square

Most desperately in need of A/C: Denver - as soon as the summer sun comes through those massive windows the place becomes an oven.

Best neon sign: Denver

Most minimalist urban station design: Caltrain terminal in San Francisco (Just doors, glass and concrete)

Most closely resembling an urban Greyhound station: Emeryville

Prettiest pedestrian overpass: Oakland Jack London Square.

------------------
A sitting duck is lying down.
The Del Monte Club Car

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 12-23-2004).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For "historic feel" there are countless RR stations in the country that have been around for nearly a century.
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Los Angeles Union Passenger Terminal ---
Like a 1930s movie set; it's the most relaxing big city Amtrak station I've found. The waiting room crowds are so laid back they're horizontal. I'd gladly live inside the empty Harvey House restaurant.
http://snow.prohosting.com/usarail/losangeles.htm

---------

Chicago Union Station ---
The only part worth spending time in is the 1920s waiting room, with its wood benches, Tennessee marble, and big skylight. The Metropolitan Lounge has as much atmosphere as a proctologist's waiting room.
http://snow.prohosting.com/usarail/chicago.htm

---------

Portland Union Station (Portland, OR) ---
Great 1890s railroad atmosphere. Even "the ladies" will feel like growing a handlebar moustache.
http://snow.prohosting.com/usarail/portlandOR.htm

-------------

30th Street Station (Philadelphia, PA) ---
Monumental columns, soaring concourse, hurrying crowds. . . it's a classic.
www.chesco.com/~apu/prr/prr_30.html

-------------

Utica Union Station (Utica, NY) ---
Built by the New York Central. Saved from the wrecking ball. One of the few surviving "big city" stations along the former NYCRR "Water Level Route" between New York City and Chicago.
http://www.trainweb.org/rshs/GRS%20-%20Utica.htm

-------------

Santa Ana Regional Transit Center ---
I thought it was an old Santa Fe Railway / Harvey House relic until I discovered it was built only about a decade ago. Impressive Spanish California architecture. The nicest "new" Amtrak stop I've seen.
http://snow.prohosting.com/usarail/santaana.htm

-------------

Honorable Mention:

Washington Union Station ---

The exterior and the entry rotunda are amazing. Unfortunately, most of the interior has been "upgraded" into a massive retail mall / food court that belongs at an airport. But at least it's still standing.
http://snow.prohosting.com/usarail/washingtondc.htm

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would most benefit from some sort of catering service (other than vending machines). BAKERSFIELD and OAKLAND.

Sacramento has a TON of potential if they would match efforts to make the outside as nice as the inside. They have a quaint little sandwich stand inside that would work perfectly in stations like Bakersfield.

I am planning a trip to Washington D.C this summer, so I'll be able to judge for myself.

Like I said before, San Diego is a gem, and it's right in the heart of downtown.

Emeryville and Glendale are hard to find.

------------------
Patrick

Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big Merl
Member # 3251

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Big Merl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can I vote for Grand Central Terminal as best station even though Amtrak doesn't go there?

For the award for "most exciting" I vote my local station since it begins my trips.

For "best food" I vote Chicago

For "most interesting from the train" I vote Cleveland, because it has the great views of the stadium. Close runner up is Croton-Harmon for the Hudson valley sights and Sing-Sing prison (which if you could see all that from the station would make it the winner)

For "best historic trains trackside" Omaha gets the temporary nod for having a Big Boy and a Centenial

Posts: 88 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JFB
Member # 2520

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JFB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Big Merl:
Can I vote for Grand Central Terminal as best station even though Amtrak doesn't go there?

You not only can. You must.

With the disclaimer, of course, that it is a former regular station, and present sometime station. (When the bridge at "Spite the Devil" goes out, Empire trains return to their proper terminal.)

Posts: 60 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best stations for an old fashioned outdoor vacation destination (where you can still imagine what it used to be like in the glory days of railroads):
Flagstaff and Whitefish.

And not a commuter to be found within 500 miles.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grand Central.....is superb! I work out of NYC and often bring clients to dinner or lunch there. It has a really great feel to it and has been magnificiently restored. It's also, less mall-esque than Washington DC Union Station, although this stataion has also been magnificiently restored and functionality expanded so it can survive.

Someone mentioned that Chicago Union Station is the easiest to get lost in - must have never been to New York Penn Station. Try coming off the various subway lines and making your way to the Amtrak section. I just got lost the other day, and I thought I knew the ropes after doing this daily commute into New York Penn for many years.

Along the NEC I am most impressed with (in ranking order):

1. Washington DC Union Station
2. 30th St. Station Philadelphia
3. Boston South Station

The station at White River Junction, VT, Waterbury/Stowe, VT, Glennwood Springs, CO are real small town gems.

Many stations in CA have undergone grand refurbishments. Only wish that some of the stations in the East can be returned to their grandeur (i.e. Buffalo, Detroit)

Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, Happy Holidays to Everyone!

Here is what I think, a few days ago I was going through the USA rail website and I looked at alot of Amtrak Stations.

Most Historic: Los Angeles Union Station, some may disagree but this is a great place.

Needing Restoration: Sanderson, Texas
(Take a look at this dump!) http://snow.prohosting.com/usarail/sanderson.htm
LOOK AT THE LINK!!!!!!

Most away from civilization: Essex, MT
I would love to visit the Izzak Walton someday.

My favorite station is Chemult, OR (CMO), this is really just my opinion.
I like it just because its a great place to watch trains all day long all by yourself. It may be small and ugly, but it has a small feel to it that other train watching places dont have. I also enjoy Fullerton, CA (FUL) because its close to LA and a nice place to watch trains with alot of other rail "buffs" that go down there.

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about Alexandria, Virginia?

Nice train watching location, easy access, well maintained but small station, waiting rooms. Amtrak, VRE, and WMATA just across the way. Also, lots of CSX freight two tracks over.

Most minimal non-station? No one has mentioned Williams Junctionm, Arizona. Platform next to the tracks and NOTHING else.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prettiest "vacation-looking" western station is Whitefish, MT

Best for overall services/conveniences is a tie between Chicago Union Station and Washington DC Union Station

most historic -- I agree that would be Los Angeles

BUT Chicago Union Station also wins my award for the worst station with connections to the city subway system

dumpiest station - tie between Trenton NJ and North Philadelphia PA

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a category I will submit: Where were the greatest stations that were torn down or otherwise taken out of service? My vote is for the TWO (2) grand old stone stations of Galesburg, IL. There was the old CB and Q depot, hammered down by wrecking ball at 5 AM on a Sunday morning, and the ATSF station a few blocks away, also a grand stone edifice. Shame on Galesburg for this, even though I live here and it is otherwise a nice town. The citizens regret it now, of course. Any other bygone depots anyone remembers?
Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My all-time favorite "ex-Amtrak" station is still standing: Grand Central Terminal in Manhattan. Amtrak was a presence there until the early 90s.

My second favorite (although totally decommissioned as a rail station) has also escaped the wrecking ball: Buffalo Central Terminal in Buffalo, NY.

It was built by the New York Central Railroad during the 1920s. Amtrak used it for a while during the 1970s, until the cost of running such a huge building proved too prohibitive.

BCT has been closed since then. But the Lake Shore Limited, Maple Leaf, and the Empire Service trains to and from Niagara Falls still pass right by it. During the summer, a local preservation group runs monthly tours of the place. It's well worth checking out.

Here are two sites that will give you an idea of what the station was/is like:

Site #1:

http://rockpile.buffalonet.org/terminal/terminal01.html

Site #2:

www.icenine.org/photography/bct.html

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 12-28-2004).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ref Railroad BOB's thoughts:

Penn Station New York; often considered the worst travesty committed against the architectural community.

Rail travelers? when Penn came down during 1964 who cared aboth them?
http://www.architectureweek.com/2003/0723/building_1-1.html

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the worst Amtrak station, I've ever been in, is the one in Sacramento, Ca. However, they may be in the process or may already have renovated the station..does anyone know?
I haven't been in many of the "classic" - major city stations, such as LA, Chicago, etc. A friend of mine recently took the Southwest Chief and e-mailed me pictures of the renovated station in Kansas City..I was very impressed by the pictures.
One of my favorite Amtrak stations is the one in Glenwood Springs, Colorado; not only a quaint, old station, but Glenwood is a fun town to visit.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=32346

When I retire, I am planning on purchasing a 1-month rail pass, if they still offer them. I hope to photograph many of the more picturesque Amtrak stations. Can anyone recommend a book or web site depicting the more photogenic Amtrak stations, as to serve as a guide for a would-be photographic journey?

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
This is by far the best Amtrak station site out there:

http://snow.prohosting.com/usarail/

The Japanese guy who runs it still hasn't covered most of the stations in the Northeast. In fact, he hasn't significantly updated the site in many months. In the current post-9/11 climate, it's possible he no longer feels quite so comfortable wandering around unfamiliar towns, snapping multiple shots of local train stations.

CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
He has every single train station in the country, except for that big chunk in the northeast.

I dont understand why he doesnt get a domain. He has such a great thing going.

espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best station Amtrak has ever used:Grand Central Terminal
Best station Amtrak uses now: Washington Union Station
Station that most looks like a second rate mall:Penn Station.Best station west of the Mississippi: Los Angeles Union Station.Most disapointing station in a large city: St Louis station.

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Keefer
Member # 2916

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Keefer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kansas City and Fullerton get my votes.
Posts: 38 | From: Tulsa, OK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
M190
Member # 3009

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for M190     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As an update I'd have to agree with dilly on Buffalo. I've only seen it from the windows of the LSL, but wow! I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Batman living in there. Dilly, do you need a roomate in that LAUPT Harvey House? Tell you what, you can have the restaurant and I'll take the bar.

Also new vote for most disappointing would have to be Detroit. Little more than an Amshack in a city that size? Not the best area either.

Posts: 106 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
M190
Member # 3009

Rate Member
One more thing. The video for Brian Setzer's Jump Jive and Wail was filmed in the restaurant at LAUPT. I saw it on VH1 a couple years ago and 'bout fell outa my chair.
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dilly, I'm so glad that you mentioned Utica Union Station. That city left many fond childhood memories for me. Until I was old enough to do a station visit on my own my uncle, or older cousin took me to the station to watch the New York Central passenger trains and freights pass through or make a stop. Grand Central is my all time favorite. Next is LAUPT, Union Station in Wash. D.C., Chicago's Union Station, and Philadelphia's 30th St. Station. As for New York City's Penn Station......so sad for the original destroyed by hungry developers and so disappointing for the newer one topped by Madison Sq. Garden.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm surprised that only one person mentioned Kansas City Mo. I was just through there on my way to Chicago last week, and I was overwhelmed by its grandeur. A lot of money was obviously spent in its renovation, and is nearly as grand as Grand Central Teminal. As well, Amtrak has moved to this truely glorious facility from its former amshack--a great improvement for passengers.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

I still believe that SAC has the most potential. Inside, it's a gem. Outside, it's everything but.

------------------
Patrick

Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My vote for "Most disappointing station in a major city" is definitely Houston, TX. All fans of the Sunset Limited will probably agree with this assessment. Houston, a beautiful glamorous city with a fantastic skyline, far better than Dallas/Austin/Ft. Worth gets a little metal building hidden away under freeway overpasses that is almost impossible to find even by seasoned Houstonians, unless they are Amtrak-literate.
Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or we know where the main US Post Office is. But even that has been thrown a curve with the re-routing of Washington....

Yep, Houston's station is pretty pathetic, but they do have a Blue Bell ice cream dispenser!!!

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Chief
Member # 2172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by M190:

Dumpiest terminal, King St. in Seattle but that's being remedied.

--
M190, what's the news about King St? I arrived there in Oct. on the Starlight and departed on the Empire Builder and thought it was even dumpier than it was in Aug. 2003 when I was last there...
Thanks.

------------------
_________Thë Çhîeƒ
_|_|_|_|_

Posts: 190 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My home station of Santa Ana with a Christmas Train Layout every year.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Yes, Chris, you are right about that SNA layout. Senior Agent Gary does most of the work and is never given any credit by too many of the managers for his hard work every year. However, he does not expect anything, having been around the program so long...that Christmas layout is one of Santa Ana's best secrets, like the Bowers Museum...
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chris G - I believe the Winnipeg (Manitoba) VIA station also has a model railroad setup on display, but all year around (at least it did in 1993 the last time I was in that station)
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page