RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » If you could ask Mineta one question...

Author Topic: If you could ask Mineta one question...
TheBriz09
Member # 3166

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for TheBriz09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's something I thought of the other day... might be an interesting discussion.

If you could ask Secretary of Transportation Norman Y. Mineta any single question that he HAD to answer, what would you ask him? And if you want to extrapolate a little bit, then what sort of evidence/discussion about that question would you provide?

There's so much that he's ignorant about, that it's really hard to think of one thing that I would want to ask him. I think I would want to ask him something about his comments about trains that nobody wants to ride, and provide evidence that people do ride those trains.

** In other news, the next version of the American Train Station Directory is coming along and will be opened up soon for your comments!

Posts: 93 | From: Batavia, IL | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What ties does he have to the concrete or road building industry?
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coachclass
Member # 2382

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coachclass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would ask him about his plan to have Amtrak trains run "doors closed and no stops" through all states that don't pony up money to help pay for this service. My question would be along the lines of "What if my state is a major contributor to Amtrak but the state I want to visit isn't? My tax dollars would being paying for the service but I can't use it!"
-Coachseats
www.geocities.com/coachseats

Posts: 78 | From: Des Moines, IA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by coachclass:
I would ask him about his plan to have Amtrak trains run "doors closed and no stops" through all states that don't pony up money to help pay for this service. My question would be along the lines of "What if my state is a major contributor to Amtrak but the state I want to visit isn't? My tax dollars would being paying for the service but I can't use it!"
-Coachseats
www.geocities.com/coachseats

I would ask him which trains he is speaking of when he says "Amtrak is running empty trains to places no one wants to go."

Mineta is clearly not riding the same trains I am (OK.....so I doubt he's riding any trains anywhere)......the northbound Carolinian looked about 85-90% loaded yesterday.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Secretary--

The Budget document that comprises the President's budget initiative for FY 2006, simply sets forth that Amtrak, as it exists, should be allowed to go bankrupt if need be and that whar rail passenger service is to remain will be sponsored at State or Local level.

However, presumably in your capacity as an Administration spokesman, you state on a nationally circulated radio interview, that there is needed rail passenger service, but that the States should be prepared to participate in the funding of such.

The two positions appear inconsistent, could you please clarify, sir?

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Capltd29
Member # 3292

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capltd29   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Secretary,

Which mainline would you lke to be tied to?

JP

Posts: 143 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"How do you plan to coordinate 48 different state legislatures, each of which are dealing with their own economic and budget troubles, to fund a national rail network?"

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there any plans or talk of trying to operate AMTRAK as a intermediate regional line. The NorthEast Corridor is succesful because for the most part it runs regularly on from NY-Bost and NY-PHIL-Wash. Wouldn't it be more feasable for Goverments try to connect cities with commuter rails. The country needs to link up its major cities. Why not look to hook up Richmond VA to DC, or Charlotte with the Piedmont and Triad Areas. While traveling by train a commuter is not able to use Amtrak in many areas there is one train to work and one train back. Who has that type of schedule. Long range train travel is done by vacationers. The only way for long range train travel to return to "its glory days" is to look at the Trans-Canadian model and to look to operate these trains like a sort of the Sea Cruise Lines operate.
Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Norm,

Just curious. How long has it been since you've actually traveled on a long distance train from start-point to end-point?

If your answer is "more than three years ago," I grant you full permission to use my taxpayer dollars to purchase a roundtrip ticket.

If your answer is "never," I look forward to seeing your resignation on my desk by the end of the day.

Cordially,

dilly

P.S. Due to budgetary cuts, please remove all taxpayer-funded office supplies that have accidentally fallen into your briefcase, and leave them at the security desk as you exit the building. Grazie!

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll change my question to the same one Dilly will ask...
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mikesmith:
I'll change my question to the same one Dilly will ask...

I want to ask Norm two questions. Mine and dilly's.

While riding the train this past Saturday I amused myself by drafting imaginary letters to the DOT secretary asking for his resignation.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tanner, you've pretty much summed up Mineta's position, so you'd probably get a one word answer: "Yes.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Is Mineta making any more sales pitches soon? If we know where he's going to be, perhaps we could e-mail this list of questions to the local press ahead of him. That might be fun.

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Toy,

Uhm so are you saying that is a good question? Am I on the right track? ha ha, as far as where the future of train travel will (could) be in the future?

Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ask Norman Mineta if he has ever really ridden Amtrak for any length of time like from Miami to Vancouver, British Columbia?
Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Toy - I think that is a GREAT idea!!!!!!!! Is there any way we can actually do it?
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by RRRICH:
Mr. Toy - I think that is a GREAT idea!!!!!!!! Is there any way we can actually do it?

I think it would simply be a matter of being alert to reports of upcoming public appearances. When one of us knows where he's gonna be, find out the name of the local paper, and send them the best questions before Mineta gets there.

Note to Tanner: You and Mineta share the view that short distance trains are the most practical, a position I heartily disagree with.

Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
I just sent a list of the best questions here to Friends of Amtrak, and maybe they might have some ideas about how to go about this.

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, a sarcastic question:

"Secretary Mineta: just what member of the airline industry are you sleeping with?"

"Secretary Mineta: How can you justify the fact that hundreds of billions of dollars are spent annually to construct and maintain highways and airports, but Amtrak cannot even secure 1.5 billion to meet it's bare essentials? [Frown]

One more thing:
'Did Santa not bring Lil' Normie the Lionel Train he's always wanted for Christmas' [Frown]

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page