RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Enhanced Empire Builder/Guest Rewards Offer

Author Topic: Enhanced Empire Builder/Guest Rewards Offer
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While checking my Guest Rewards balance I noticed an announcement that says: Ride in style; multiply your points.
The Empire builder now features new decor and enhanced service. Not to mention double or triple points! Just register, then ride the Empire Builder (which runs between Chicago and Seattle) between August 1 and December 31, 2005, and you will be awarded double points for Coach service, triple points for Sleeper accomodations.

Anybody know anything about the "new decor and enhanced service"?

Needless to say, I registered. I've ridden eastbound and was considering a w/b trip in the Fall.

Frank in sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Simply put, they are trying a modified version of Caost Starlight minus the parlor car. They have refurbished some equipment that they want to use dedicated to the EB and increased level of activities on board, and I think a dining car menu
exclusive to EB. Things like that.

Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this information available anywhere? Has there been a press release from AMTRAK?

Frank in Cloudy SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UPNorth
Member # 3944

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UPNorth         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/am2Copy/News_Release_Page&c=am2Copy&cid=1093554010146&ssid=180

News Release
National Railroad Passenger Corporation
60 Massachusetts Avenue NE
Washington, DC 20002
www.amtrak.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
ATK-05-062

July 12, 2005
Amtrak Builds on a Good Thing: Empire Builder to Get Fresh New Look

Coming August 2005... A New Experience
WASHINGTON - The Empire Builder, long one of America's favorite trains, will get a fresh new look beginning August 2005. The changes are the start of a major initiative at Amtrak to improve passengers' on-board experience on long-distance trains and improve the trains' financial performance, as well.

Passengers will soon be treated to a new on- board experience as the Empire Builder travels across eight states, from Chicago to Seattle and Portland. The new look will include refurbished rail cars, new on-board services and improved passenger amenities.

"We're pleased to dedicate Amtrak's newly refurbished train equipment to the Empire Builder as part of our overall effort to enhance long distance train travel," said Amtrak President David L. Gunn. "The result will be even stronger demand for the service and a better financial performance. The Empire Builder is already one of Amtrak's most popular trains, serving nearly half-a-million passengers annually."

The Empire Builder travels through some of America's greatest scenery. The train traverses portions of the upper Mississippi River valley, crosses the northern plains and offers superb vistas as it wends its way through the Rocky Mountains, Washington State's Cascades Range and miles of seascapes along Puget Sound and the Columbia River Gorge. Along the way, top leisure travel destinations abound, including Wisconsin Dells, Glacier National Park and Montana's Big Mountain ski area.

"The Empire Builder's scenic highlights and popular destinations, combined with strong community support all along the route, will be a major marketing boost for the overall enhanced service of an already popular train ride," said Barbara Richardson, Amtrak Vice President, Marketing and Sales.

From Departure to Destination, a Unique Experience

All passengers will notice a difference the moment they step on board the Empire Builder. First class passengers - those with sleeping accommodations, which include dining car meal service - will be welcomed aboard with a complimentary glass of sparkling wine or cider.

As a new feature, on the second day of the trip, passengers will be invited to attend on-board wine and cheese tasting events in the lounge car featuring Wisconsin and Minnesota cheeses and Washington State wines.

Dining aboard a moving train is an experience rich in history. Aboard the Empire Builder, several special menu items have been created by the Amtrak culinary team to closely match the original recipes of the Great Northern Railway. At supper time, along with the delicious regular Amtrak menu items, passengers will be invited to enjoy special entrees recalling the train's lore: Braised Salmon Shank with horseradish and cauliflower puree, Great Northern Baked Ham with sweet citrus sauce and English Beefsteak Pot Pie with braised tomatoes and white mushrooms.

At night, train attendants will encourage sweet dreams by offering a bedtime treat of a freshly baked cookie or similar goodie to first class passengers.

Coach passengers will receive a higher level of service on board the Empire Builder starting this August, too. Coach passengers will be offered at-seat food and beverage service. In the Lounge Car, an upstairs snack bar is being added in the peak seasons to serve light food and beverages. Passengers will also be invited to check out a wide variety of popular games to play, including Monopoly®, Trivial Pursuit ®, and Chutes and Ladders®.

New Equipment

The interiors of the sleeping cars have received extensive renovations featuring a new blue and white color scheme and Blossom Cherry wood grain laminates. Blue hues also adorn cushions, carpets and drapery. The bedrooms have newly designed and modern-looking toilet and shower units. These units match the interior color scheme and the sink vanity has a solid surface countertop. The same color scheme provides a much brighter room in the new public area toilets on the lower level of the cars. The public shower has been re-designed to better address passenger needs. The new shower has a larger changing area that includes a large seat and vanity with mirror and a seat in the shower area.

In the lounge car, one end has been changed to create improved seat groupings. These small seat groups have new small drink tables positioned between them. Dining tables and booths have been added to the other end. The interiors of the coach and dining cars have also been refurbished.

Expanded Trails and Rails programs

Another on-board enhancement of the Empire Builder service will be the expansion of the Trails and Rails program, presented during daylight hours between Chicago and Seattle/Portland, offering en-route lectures about the culture, geography and history of the Great Plains. Trails and Rails is an innovative partnership between the National Park Service and Amtrak designed to encourage sightseers who are not traditional National Park visitors to explore the natural and cultural aspects of several regions of the country.

In July, a new Trails and Rails program debuts on board the Empire Builder between Chicago and St. Paul, Minn., featuring information on the Mississippi River and the wonderful state and national parks throughout the region. Passengers may enjoy these informational talks delivered by interpretive rangers every weekend through the middle of September.

Beginning in August, the Trails and Rails program will be extended on board the Empire Builder near Williston, N.D., (eastbound) and Browning, Mont., (westbound). Passengers will be offered hot chocolate during a "campfire-like" setting where the Trails and Rails program will continue to discuss the wonders of the surrounding area.

The Story of the Empire Builder

Named for Great Northern Railway founder James J. Hill, the first Empire Builder departed Chicago on June 10, 1929. Originally, the Empire Builder was operated by the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad from Chicago to St. Paul. From St. Paul, it was operated entirely by the Great Northern Railway (now part of the BNSF Railway) to Seattle and Portland, making the trip in 63 hours. Today's Empire Builder connects the same cities in just 47 hours.

The Empire Builder is the first train among the railroad's 15 long-distance train services being upgraded. Already a popular route, last year (FY '04) the Empire Builder served more than 437,000 passengers, with ridership up 5.1 percent over the previous fiscal year. The Empire Builder offers daily departures from Chicago (2:15 p.m.) and the west coast (Seattle and Portland sections both at 4:45 p.m.)

Celebrations to Mark New Service

Amtrak will celebrate the new Empire Builder with fun-filled festivities at several of the train's most popular destinations including Seattle, Portland and Chicago on August 21st and Whitefish, Mont., and Minot, N.D., on August 22nd. More information on these events will be announced next month.

About Amtrak

Amtrak provides intercity passenger rail services to more than 500 destinations in 46 states on a 22,000-mile route system. For schedules, fares and information, passengers may call 800-USA-RAIL or visit Amtrak.com.

Posts: 10 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Judy
Member # 3278

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grandma Judy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sure hope some of these are in place when I hop on the eastbound EB on August 4.
Posts: 122 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now, that's good news!!! I hope Amtrak will last to carry out its mission for the other LD trains. They sure get A+ for effort on this one. Looks like my prayers are answered. I hope the Southwest Chief is next for the makeover. Hopefully it will be done on the LD EastCoast trains as well.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The EB upgrade has been in the works for awhile. I first read about it in the Amtrak Board's 2006 funding proposal to Congress.

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds great to me. They must have really been working on getting those cars rehabed. Wasn't it in the past year that folks on here were talking about just one sleeper having been done and wondering when and where it would show up. I believe someone posted pictures of the interior.

I wonder if the wine/cheese tasting will be open to everyone or just sleeping car pax. There's no mention of a seperate lounge like the Pacific Parlour Car.

Let us hear about your trip, Grandma Judy!

Frank in Sunny SBA

Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So this is where 32016 got off to....

-

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Mike--

Where are the rest of the pics? Did you post the ones that were on here before?

Frank in Sunny SBA

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Mike--

I found them by doing a search for 32016. Maybe you could post them here again.

Frank in still Sunny SBA

graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That s great news! I am a Guest Rewards member Triple points in a sleeper? Wow! I will be riding the EB on September 2nd from Portland to Chicago. Sure looking forward to the trip.

That will be the homeward portion of my trip.Im starting in New York, traveling to Jacksonville where I ll connect to the Sunset and head to LA. Not too worried about tardiness..my next leg is the Bakersfield bus at 1:20AM but you never know.

Six weeks to go. I ve taken dozens of cross country trips and the anticipation is always there and now with the enhanced services on te EB..Im really getting excited!

--------------------

Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Graynt--

Be sure to register for the offer on the Guest Rewards website.

Frank in foggy SBA.

Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about a link to the old topics?
http://www.railforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/11/2538.html#000018

http://www.railforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/11/2550.html#000000

-

Seems I'm posting a lot of bathrooms.. This one took the place of the standard one on the lower level of the sleepers.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrhall53
Member # 1580

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrhall53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just our luck -- we're going to be on the EB this month. But maybe they'll have some of the new stuff in place early? And as far as wine and cheese go, I already know what they taste like.
Posts: 58 | From: Owensboro, KY USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Mike--

Thanks for posting the links, Mike.

Frank in slowly clearing SBA

Grandma Judy
Member # 3278

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grandma Judy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rats! They are saying the updated service starts August 6. I'm traveling on August 4. Sounds like an excuse for another trip, doesn't it?
Posts: 122 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be going Portland to Chicago later in August so . . . yippeee!!!!
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SouthernServesTheSouth
Member # 2284

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SouthernServesTheSouth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sojourner, I went in May and it was enjoyable.

If you are taking a sleeper, I hope you get Dan as your attendant. He was very nice on our trip and he would make announcements concerning the area we were traveling through. He would give us a couple of minute’s notice before we would pass by some interesting sight.

Down side if you can call it that, is the long walk through all the cars to get to the diner.

Best part is the sleeper being on the rear of the train. Great view out the rear if no extra cars have be attached.

Too bad the EB service upgrade wasn't in effect when we traveled.

Posts: 68 | From: Lynchburg, Virginia USA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Chief
Member # 2172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a couple more links about Empire Builder upgrade. Menu sounds sweet.

Like Southern noted, I, too, wish the upgrade had been on the Builder when I rode in May. But I'll check it out in October; I've been riding it twice a year.

Seattle Times article
ABC TV local Chicago

p.s. Smitty, you do take a lotta photos of the head.

--------------------
_ _ __ _ _ ŤĦę ĊĦĪĘҒ
_|_|_|_|_|

Posts: 190 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chile2
Member # 3110

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for chile2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We just returned from being on the EB last week. The wine & cheese hadn't been started yet, sigh. It was one of the nicest legs of our multiroute cross-country journey (which inclded the SWC, CS, SL). Though there is no 'parlour' car, the observation lounge has been refurbished with about 1/3 of it, upstairs, in tables handy for card playing, etc. It had a nice fresh feel to it. The sleepers had been redone with new commodes and sinks with user friendly faucets(yay!). Even the coach class seemed to have new upgrades in upholstery, etc. This is really a lovely route, and I'm glad Amtrak has taken this step towards trying to upgrade and market the long distance trains this way. For anyone travelling this route, I would highly recommend stopping at Glacier National Park for a couple of days and taking the red bus jammer tours; Glacier is awesome and it can't all be seen from the train. Even stopping one day would give you a full day to sightsee. We stayed at the Belton Chalet in West Glacier, just across the highway from the train station; very lovely.
Posts: 72 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page