RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » North Fork of Long Island

Author Topic: North Fork of Long Island
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering how it might be possible, after taking an Amtrak train to NYC, to take a Long Island Railroad train to the North Fork of Long Island, a bus (if need be) to a passenger ferry and take one or more ferries to get to Massachusetts (or at least Rhode Island or Connecticut) and then take the Amtrak back (perhaps again via NYC). Do you know which Long Island Railroad stops on the North Fork have towns worth seeing right near the trains, especially if one must overnight there? Are the trains very infrequent, and must one stay overnight to make other connections? Are there reliable buses that go beyond the town of Greenport on the North Fork to Orient Point? I guess Gardiners Island and Plum Island are off limits, but what about Shelter Island? Fishers Island? Block Island? The more islands, the merrier. Any ferries from Block Island or someplace else in the south and from there to Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard? Thanks for the info
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"www.mta.info" willprovide info on LIRR trains to the North Fork. Some times a bus alternates with the train from Riverhead. At top left click on Long Island RR. I think the Shelter Island ferry is walking distance from the train station (Greenport?). Then on the other side of Shelter Island is the ferry to Sag Harbor (South Fork).From there one can drive to East Hampton.You can take a Block Island ferry also.Pretty sure it also departs from the North Fork. Also, I'm sure the Orient Point Ferry has a website. Shelter Island is very quiet and waterview scenic. There is an inn on Shelter Island. The North Fork has motels, inns,and wineries. Again,google a website for Long Island tourism.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny you should ask. I took the Long Island Railroad from New York (Penn Station) to Greenport a couple of weeks ago.

Essentially, there are 2 trains per day in each direction (3 on Friday). The trip takes roughly 3 hours each way.

It's possible to do it as a day trip, provided you take the early train (about 7:30 a.m. on weekdays, and 9 a.m. weekends) and limit yourself to just seeing the town and/or Shelter Island. Some of the smaller towns nearby are fine for a half hour visit. But if you don't have a car, they're not worth the hassle of trying to reach them via public transportation (which operates on a skeletal schedule at best).

The ferry to Shelter Island leaves from Greenport (the dock is right next to the train station). Larger ferries to Connecticut leave from Orient Point, about twenty minutes further east by Suffolk County Bus # S-92 (which runs every hour or so).

There are only a handful of places to stay in the area. All are privately owned (no hotel/motel chains). Most promote themselves as either upscale or "family" resorts. Single-night stays often aren't permitted during the "nicer" months of the year.

Town: www.greenportvillage.com/index.htm

Trains: www.mta.nyc.ny.us/mnr

Local bus: www.sct-bus.org/main.shtml

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHANGEATJAMAICA
Member # 3737

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHANGEATJAMAICA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VERY DO-ABLE. LIRR TO GREENPORT, BUS TO ORIENT POINT, CROSS SOUND FERRY TO NEW lONDON, AMRTAK (STATION AT FERRY TERMINAL)TO BOS. NEED ONLY COORDINATE SCHEDULES.
BEST REGARDS,
RODGER

Posts: 83 | From: MERRIMAC,MA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Orient Point - New London trip is a bit difficult due to the infrequent trains and the need to take a bus from Greenport to Orient Point, but on the other side the ferry is adjacent to the New London train station, and Greenport is a historic old whaling town.

An easier trip is to take the train to Port Jefferson (lots of service), walk down the hill to the harbor, and take the ferry to Bridgeport, CT. The ferry is close to the train station on both ends. I've done the trip, and it's easy. Just check the ferry schedule first.

There are places to eat in Port Jeff. Unfortunately, there's not much in Bridgeport.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I am so glad I asked here! You have all been so helpful. It sounds like there are so many possibilities I may wish I could do several different loops!!!

I just have a couple more questions:

(1) Are any of the towns between Ronkonkoma and Greenport on which the Greenport LIRR stops interesting enough for a stopover, e.g., if I could catch the earliest train out of NYC (I can only do this if I overnight in NYC, but, hey, I like doing that!), would it be worth stopping at one and then getting back on another (say on Friday) to continue to Greenport? And is the train station conveniently located for seeing any of these other towns?

(2) What is New London, CT, like, touristwise? That is where the Coast Guard is, yes? Are there other things of interest? Is it nice, or like Bridgeport tsk tsk? Can one get around and see sites there arriving on the ferry without a car? (Note: I am a big walker and not averse to using public bus or taxi if not super expensive, but I will not be renting any cars) Would it be possible to stay conveniently over night there, as the ferry schedule is so tough? Or would one just want to take the ferry, then maybe lunch there and catch the Amtrak?

(3) Speaking seasonally, when would you recommend doing these trips? Is summer too crowded and expensive? Is spring or fall too cold or rainy?

Thanks so much!!! I will check out more of the links provided too. I have so many other Amtrak trips coming up between August and next June that I may not be able to do this one till the late summer or fall of 2006, or even spring of 2007, budgetwise, though of course I'd rather go sooner . . . . Anyway, it sounds great fun, and thanks to all for the help.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except for Greenport itself, I don't know much about the towns you pass through, so I'll leave that question for someone else.

New London is trying to re-invent itself, and there are some shops and restaurants on the water (and fronting on Amtrak) but much of downtown is fairly down-at-the-heels. There is a decent Radisson Hotel within walking distance of the station, but it's a big commercial hotel, nothing picturesque.

The "Nautilus" (first atomic sub) is on display on the east bank of the Thames a few miles out of town. You'd need a car or a taxi to reach it, though. The sub base is, I think, off limits to tourists.

One interesting observation about the Nautilus. Officers' private cabins look a lot like Pullman roomettes, complete with pull-down sink and toilet. It looks like they used the Pullman washstand design.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forgive me for taking us off topic around here, but New London should 'strike a nerve' with anyone owning an older home in a municipality that is promoting McMansions on every lot - especially if you desire to "stay on" in that older home, rather than "get with the program'!!!!

Kelo v. New London.

As Mr. Resor notes, Pullman designs did find their way into the US shipbuilding industry (guess what younger folk, the US actually once did build maritime, as distinct from Naval, vessels). I distinctly recall from an Aug 1960 Naples to New York voyage aboard the SS Constitution, a distinct resemblance to the design of an Upper Stateroom bunk and same in a lightweight ("Heritage") Sleeper; even the Cabin Steward's key to set it up looked quite familiar.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not much between Ronkonkoma and Greenport, except for the Tanger Outlet Mall(Riverhead) which I have not yet been to. When I taught in Lake Ronkonkoma (thank goodness that commute is over)many coworkers did say it was great shopping, especially when there were sale promotions. Towns along the North Fork are from what I remember quaint. It was much more folksy than Hamptons.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page