RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Acela spotted in Long Island City Train Yards

Author Topic: Acela spotted in Long Island City Train Yards
D. David
Member # 4055

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for D. David     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Riding the 7 train over the Trainyards used by the LIRR in Long Island City in Queens NY, I have observed Amtrak trains passing on occasion, and wondered where they're coming from or going to since Queens isn't part of any known routes.

The only exception I can think of is when the circus is in town. For decades the circus folk have their own train parked there for those weeks and presumably that's where they sleep. Don't know enough about that.

Over the past week there has been an Acela train parked there (maybe longer and I didn't notice). Not the best exterior decoration. I suppose they want the blobs of blue color to convey "modern" but I think it's just an excuse to pay someone and say they invested in "a look" to justify charging more than they probably have to.

Any insight on the LIC yards and what goes on down there?

Thanks!

Posts: 64 | From: NYC (NYP) | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't help you with your specific observations, Mr. David, but it appears that Amtrak is "swimming" with idle Acela equipment. The pre April 15 schedule could be maintained with 13 sets; they have 20.

Somehow, I think that as the sets are due for a "heavy" overhaul, and further assuming Mr. Gunn remains in the saddle, the "lava lamps" will go "bye bye". Look for a Phase 4b paint job; with 'blending" on the Power Units such as NJTransit has applied to the ALP-46's (and in my backyard, METRA to their MP-36's).

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RussM
Member # 3627

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RussM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Found this info:

http://www.twinforksnrhs.org/8.htm

Posts: 133 | From: Canaan, CT | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D. David
Member # 4055

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for D. David     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks RussM - Now I know the place is called Sunnyside Trainyards. It's a very wide expanse. I've never counted the track span - and in many places there are overgrown tracks and some which were taken apart. The area dwarfs the Chicago yards.

Re GBN's "blending" design comment - That would be an improvement. Sometimes people try too hard.

Given the info I'm surprised I don't see more Acelas parked there.

I seem to recall an Amtrak riding an overpass over Northern Boulevard in Queens as well. I always figured the tracks went from Manhattan to Brooklyn and Queens, which is east. Hellgate is Northwestern Queens towards the Bronx. I just assumed they would take northern Manhattan like the Late Short Limited did into Bronx and Westchester to get out of the city..

Posts: 64 | From: NYC (NYP) | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak exits/enters the East River tunnel and passes through Sunnyside, and Astoria in Queens. There is also an Amtrak overpass over the Grand Central Parkway in Queens somewhere between LaGuardia Airport and the Triborough Bridge. This is the route for trains to/from New Haven and Boston via Hellgate.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page