RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Service animals

Author Topic: Service animals
Boyce
Member # 2719

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boyce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife suffers from severe depression and following her doctor's reccomendation got a small *** for theraputic reasons. Does anyone know if we can travel with it? We will be staying at our destination (Fla.) for about 2 weeks and she will need to have the *** with her. We will be on the Sunset when it resumes the regular route.
Posts: 113 | From: San Antonio, Texas,USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Amtrak website deals with service animals in a general fashion. You probably should speak to an agent to find out if you need a letter from your wife's doctor verifying her need to travel with the small ***. The website says that the animal must be leashed or in a carrier and under your control at all times.

Frank in cloudy, cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boyce
Member # 2719

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boyce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read the Amtrak website and it is too general. I guess the real question is whether it qualifies as a a service animal. A letter from the doctor will not be a problem.
Posts: 113 | From: San Antonio, Texas,USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It appears that the generic word for a canine, K-9, "best friend' gets "filtered' at this site.
Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say that most service animals on Amtrak are seeing eye dogs. The only way you can tell for sure though is to call 800-872-7245. Maybe a note from her doctor could also be some proof to show the conductor or station personnel.
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kiernan
Member # 3828

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kiernan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a guy with a "service ***" get on the Chief in Lamy. The conductor let them on with an "OK, that's a service ***." But you should still check with an agent.

--------------------
Kiernan

Posts: 155 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trying to track this down, Amtrak states, "Only certified guide or service animals accompanying passengers with disabilities are permitted on board an Amtrak train."

So it seems to come down to the definition of what is a "certified service animal." We find good answers at the US government's site at http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/qasrvc.htm where it states "Service animals perform some of the functions and tasks that the individual with a disability cannot perform for him or herself."

Reading through the entire FAQ, it comes down to whether depression is a disability. The closest I can find is how depression is handled by Social Security (http://www.crowe-shanahan.com/depress.html). It seems that the condition must be pretty extreme to be considered a disability. You are getting into a grey area and should probably check with Amtrak directly (and in Washington).

You can look into shipping the animal. I am involved in greyhound rescue and know that many are shipped privately from Florida to other states eery week. Check with some local greyhound rescue organizations to see if they have some dogs arriving and maybe yours can hitch a ride on the way back?

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm fearful, Mr. Boyce, that there would be an uphill battle to allow your Mrs. to be accompanied by, second to yourself, her 'best friend'.

How many times did I envision having my Newfoundland with me on Amtrak trips. Oh you can be sure he would have expected not less than a Bedroom. He would have wanted the couch for himself, especially since he liked to "spread out" fore legs forward, hind legs extending rear; maybe he would have shared with me, if he wanted some lovin'. Otherwise "well pal, that little chair is yours'.

He could have gone to the Lounge, and I guarantee you little kids would be lined up to hug him. He also gave "pony rides'.

At station stops, after we both would have put on our gas masks to get through the foul fog, find a bush and all I needed to say was "go'; and he was good for at least another four hours.

It would have been wonderful, but rules are rules.

Rest in Peace, beloved Lucky.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know, Mr. Norman. My airline friends have had dogs, cats, a chimp and a small pig on board as "companions". They all had the needed documentation from both doctors AND lawyers. The only limit seems to be that they must fit in the area between the bulkhead and the passenger seat. That's why the miniture horse was denied boarding...

Frank in cloudy (We had thunder, lightning and rain today!) SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kiernan
Member # 3828

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kiernan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Social Security definition of disability is similar to the workers' compensation definition, where the person's ability to make a living is what's important. In the ADA, disability is a physical or mental condition that affects a major life activity. The ADA considers how people get around and what kind of services they need. I can't imagine Amtrak not allowing a service *** on the train. Airlines, on the other hand, are largely exempt from the ADA.

--------------------
Kiernan

Posts: 155 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by sbalax:
I don't know, Mr. Norman. My airline friends have had dogs, cats, a chimp and a small pig on board as "companions".

quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
It would have been wonderful, but rules are rules.

Point indeed noted, Mr. Frank in (today's weather) Santa Barbara.

Simply because you, me, and 90% of "those out there' think of a pet animal as only dogs or cats, does not mean others out there would even consider an undomesticated, possibly venomous animal as a pet and accordingly expect, and likely vocally demand, passage.

Oh and on your weather report today; I thought you never had thunderstorms out there, or at least so thought a friend formerly of Rancho Cucamonga.

archriker
Member # 4082

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for archriker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For what it's worth, I happened to come across a story in Monday's Boston Globe about disability due to depression, and how it may be defined differently on a state versus federal level.

The following paragraph jumped out at me:

"Under federal rules, a person with some symptoms of depression, such as a loss of appetite, trouble sleeping, and feelings of guilt or worthlessness, as well as a ''marked deficiency" in concentration, could be classified as disabled. But under the state rules, a person with symptoms of depression and any problem concentrating might qualify"

The rest of the article can be found at:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2005/09/26/1800_on_welfare_may_be_avoiding_work/

archriker
jacksonville beach, fl

Posts: 6 | From: Jacksonville Beach, FL | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sandy
Member # 3980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sandy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We traveled recently on the Chief and there was a non-seeing eye *** "service ***" aboard the train. There were complaints (because the *** barked so when the couple went to eat) and the conductor talked to the man and he had papers showing his *** was a service ***, used to help his post traumatic stress disorder.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
why is the word *** bleeped out on this board?
Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Wonder same myself, Mr. North Coast.

On my most recent posting to this topic, I originally used the bleeped word, but changed the sentence structure so that the plural dogs could be used.

And regarding my Newfoundland and four letter words ending in K, bark was something he simply never did; 'stealthpup' was a nickame for him. As for another possibly coming to mind which i guarantee would be bleeped, the Humane Society had "taken care of that' before he was ever mine.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page