RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Chicago, Chicago, that toddlin' town

Author Topic: Chicago, Chicago, that toddlin' town
CHANGEATJAMAICA
Member # 3737

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHANGEATJAMAICA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just recently watched DVDs of two Hollywood films that include train scenes; and I have a few quesstions I'm sure will be answered.

The first involves David Miller's Sudden Fear(1952). Joan Crawford leaves New York (and now I'm assuming) on the 20th Century Limited enroute to San Francisco. There is a scene with the train stopped in Buffalo, ergo my assumption about the Limited. In one of the scenes there is a sign on the door at the end of the sleeper indicating "CZ10". Later Ms. Crawford says she is traveling to San Francisco on a thru car.
Did such "thru" cars exist between New York and San Francisco on the 20th Century Limited and California Zephyr?

The second is also about the 20th Century Limited.
In Alfred Hitchcock's North by Northwest(1959), Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint are traveling on the Limited(no assuming here it's stated as fact).
They detrain at the La Salle Street Station in Chicago. Did the Limited indeed terminate at La Salle Street?

I guess I'm basically asking if both films are correct or is one or the other inaccurate? Appreciate your help.

Oh, and while were talking about Chicago, at which station did the "Broadway Limited" terminate and at which station did the "Super Chief" and "El Capitan" depart.

Thanks and best regards
Rodger

Posts: 83 | From: MERRIMAC,MA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll try to do some homework. The LaSalle Station was the Station that the New York Central used , http://www.rosshorwood.com/RailSiteLinksFiles/20thCentury.html

I've never seen Sudden Fear I'll have to rent it. Did they show any scenes in the Buffalo Station? I would love to see it in its glory. There is a 1980's Film "Best Friends" with Burt Reynolds and Goldie Hawn its a comedy (I'ts rather good I think) Anyhow, Burt and Goldie meet her "parents" Jessica Tandy and Bernard Hughes at he "then closed" Buffalo Station they had taken an Amtrak from California to Buffalo.

I like to here about the movies that have train scenes it would be great to hear from other fans about there favorite movie seens.

Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know the Super Chief and El Capitan originated and terminated at Dearborn Station.

I think the Broadway was at Grand Central along with the B & O Capitol Limited.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Broadway Limited was the Pennsylvania Railroads rival to the New York Centrals 20th Century Limited. The Broadway departed from Penn Station and terminate
Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
The Broadway Limited was the Pennsylvania Railroads rival to the New York Centrals 20th Century Limited. The Broadway departed from Penn Station and terminates at Chicago's Union Station.
CHANGEATJAMAICA
Member # 3737

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHANGEATJAMAICA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tanner929

Unfortunately the stop at Buffalo, in Sudden Fear, was an interior shot, done in the studio, not at the station. Nor for that matter was the departure from New York done on location, it too was shot on a set in the studio.

Hitchcock on the other hand shot the New York scenes at GCT and the Chicago scene at the La Salle station.

Best regards,
Rodger

Posts: 83 | From: MERRIMAC,MA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CHANGEATJAMAICA:

Did such "thru" cars exist between New York and San Francisco on the 20th Century Limited and California Zephyr?

The New York Central did run "thru sleepers" from New York City on several west-of-Chicago trains until the mid-1950s or so. However, in real life, Joan Crawford would have been traveling on the NYC's Lake Shore Limited, which contributed one sleeper to the California Zephyr.

The 20th Century Limited did contribute two sleepers to the Chief in Chicago, bound for L.A. In addition, one sleeper from the Chicagoan became an honorary member of the City of Los Angeles. And the Wolverine contributed a New York Central sleeper to the Sante Fe Overland.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Santa Fe Overland? that's a new train name to me.

What say we try the 'San Francisco Overland?

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
What say we try the 'San Francisco Overland?

As Ed McMahon used to say: "You are correct, sir!"

Blame it on far too much rainy Saturday afternoon coffee (after a few more cups, I probably would have mistyped "Santa Clause Overland" instead).

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHANGEATJAMAICA
Member # 3737

Member Rated:
dilly, indicates Joan would have been on the Lake Shore Limited between New York and Chicago. All the history I can find shows that the NYC Lake Shore Limited operated only between Toledo and Chicago...or as usual am I missing something?

Best regards,
Rodger

dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
The New York Central's Lake Shore Limited was one of America's "oldest" trains, dating back to the late 1800s. It ran from New York to Chicago (and Chicago-New York) until either 1955 or 1956, when the name disappeared from the railroad's timetable. I traveled on the train several times, with my parents and siblings, when I was a very tiny kid.

I'm not sure where the notion originated that it was Toledo-Chicago. Perhaps the route was, during one period or another, temporarily shortened to cut costs. Or perhaps the person who came up with the notion only traveled between Toledo and Chicago, unaware that the train's true eastern start and end-point was New York City.

The schedule wasn't radically different from that of Amtrak's current Lake Shore Limited (which travels along the same route for 99% of its run). Of course, there's no longer a "thru sleeper." But just like Joan Crawford, you can still connect with the Calfornia Zephyr.

You'll find a page from the NYC's 1954 passenger timetable (showing the Lake Shore Limited's NY-Chicago schedule) here:

www.rr-fallenflags.org/nyc/nyc-ptt54p15.gif

The train's 1954 consist (including the New York to San Francisco sleeper) can be found here:

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nyc/nyc-ptt54p10.gif

By the way, the Lake Shore Limited was also one of the New York Central's most infamous trains. In 1940, it derailed near Little Falls, NY. The resulting wreck killed 31 passengers and crew members, and seriously injured well over 100 more.

If you're morbidly curious, here's what was left of the train following the accident:

www.casco.net/~fitzrr/5315w.jpg

Amtrak's Lake Shore Limited still passes the spot every day.

---------------------------------------------

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dilly:
In 1940, it derailed near Little Falls, NY. The resulting wreck killed 31 passengers and crew members, and seriously injured well over 100 more.

Amtrak's Lake Shore Limited still passes the spot every day.

Not exactly. The curve was realigned to a larger radius not too long after the derailment.

George

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Yes, the curve was reworked to make it less hazardous. But as I said, Amtrak's Lake Shore Limited still passes the spot every day.
irish1
Member # 222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for irish1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i wonder if the gentleman is confusing the lake cities with the lake shore. i know the lake cities ran toledo-chicago via detroit. just my 2 cents.
Posts: 175 | From: FENCE WI USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHANGEATJAMAICA
Member # 3737

Member Rated:
dilly, thanks.
Best regards,
Rodger

20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Sudden Fear",thanks for that title. Now I can look for it in the video store. I think I saw parts of that movie on the movie classics channel, but never got the name of it. From what I remember there was plenty of train scenes. I do remember that Joan Crawford starred in it.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
As far as another movie scene. There is a long scene in the Kevin Costner film "The Untouchables" shot in the Great Room of Chicago's Union Station. they really restored the room to its 1930's look.
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Sort of Sad.

In the new independent film "Capote" we see the the transportation transformation of the country. In the early part of the Movie,Truman Capote and his researcher Harper Lee travel by train complete with a private cabin and curteous staff on his way to Kansas. By the end he is traveling by air, which also should a by gone era, curtains on the windows and a curteous staff. Because it is an independent film with a small budget no scenes in train stations or old equipment darn.

Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
One more odd film train history showing up on film. Was watching the old Barbara Striesand movie "Funny Girl" and noticed there is a scene in New York Harbor with Striesand singing on a tug boat. The Tug was an old New York Central Tug. The old Comadoor kept a few tugs till the end huh.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page