RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Tomorrow's D-Day!

Author Topic: Tomorrow's D-Day!
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i leave on my cross country adventure tomorrow. A total of approx 10,000 miles on Amtrak. Im on the edge of my seat in anticipation!

Amtrak called me yesterday and offered me a sleeper from nyc to chicago for 300 bucks. What a deal! (not). Who do they think I am, Bill Gates???

I love coach. Plenty of enough room. Reasonable fare. Besides, when on the train, i only sleep about 4 hours per day. I like to spend my time looking out the window and in the lounge car. Dont need a sleeper to do those things!

ill give a trip report when i get to MT on the 21st.

Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rrrayinmd
Member # 4148

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rrrayinmd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a safe and wonderful trip Montana. Looking forward to your trip report.
Posts: 34 | From: Carroll County, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jgart56
Member # 3968

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jgart56     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am incrdedibly envious MontanaJim.
Have a great trip!

Posts: 171 | From: Aurora, Illinois | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must admit, Mr. Montana Jim, that NY-Chi $300 to upgrade from Coach to Roomette is "not exactly' a bargain. In fact that is only slightly below a rate at the website that was available a few moments ago for a departure today.

Even though 10000 miles in Coach is a bit too masochistic for my 65 year old blood, I must say more power to you if you can do this journey and wish to come back for more. You certainly will save some 'heavy hitting loot'.

You do have your colleague here at the Forum, Mr. "Chucky' Ruben, who has suggested he prefers Coach over Sleeper, cost differential notwithstanding.

Also I know a seventysomething lady who lives in Amana, IA who has an annual occasion to visit relatives in the Denver area. So long as she can get a ride to Mt Pleasant, she prefers Amtrak for this journey. While I can't be certain, I believe she is of means to use any accomodation Amtrak offers, yet she chooses to use Coach, even though friends of mine (regular travelers; always Sleeper) out there have tried without success to persuade her to use Sleeper.

Lower Level Coach is simply what she knows; why bother to learn to use anything else?

Otherwise, Mr. Montana Jim, enjoy.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHANGEATJAMAICA
Member # 3737

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHANGEATJAMAICA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We ALL change. While it "seems" not too long ago its over 30 years since I too was a 'basic' needs traveler. In those days I'd travel trans atlantic coach (for free) even though first class would have cost less than the price of a dinner out. B&Bs or pensions with the bathroom down the hall was fine for the price. I even had the bride thinking that was the way to go.
Then, unfortunately, one spring my boss and his wife and son asked if we would like to accompany them on trip to Paris in April. The boss didn't know there was any class but first so we went along and the bride's eyes were opened to the then opulence of international first class.
Since then, when I travel solo by air or rail I'm quite comfortable in coach. But when the bride travels...it's first class by air and sleeper by rail.
Other than that one 'extravagance' she is a very frugal.
Mr. Montana Jim, enjoy yourself while you can!
BON CHANCE1!
Best regards,
Rodger

Posts: 83 | From: MERRIMAC,MA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow......how times have changed. It was just a couple of years ago that when Amtrak called with unsold sleeper space they would offer the upgrade for just $100.00. I once, in 2002 I think, upgraded to roomette the day before departure for $60.00 on the City of New Orleans NOL - Carbondale.

Have a great trip and remember to share the good, the bad, and the ugly with us when you return!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page