RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Wish me luck

Author Topic: Wish me luck
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I leave today, the 19th, for my 7000 mile North America rail journey. I will start out in Toronto on the General Brock to Niagara Falls Ont. then a car transfer to Buffalo's Depew station for the midnight Lake Shore to Chicago. For the past week train 49 has been everything from late to somewhat late to very late. I hope the train gods are smiling today as I do not want to spend any more time then necesary at the dreary Depew station. I decided to take a chance and ride the Texas Eagle again after a five year absence. In 2000 I ran into an ice storm in Arkansas that caused a 12 hour delay and its annulment in Dallas. I will eventually connect in Los Angeles with #14 for Seattle, overnight there, and the next morning I board the Cascade for Vancouver BC and The Canadian back home to Toronto. I have a bedroom on all the trains with sleepers except the Lake Shore where I have a roomette. I'm looking forward to having a great trip, however, considering past experiences I am prepared for anything.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rrrayinmd
Member # 4148

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rrrayinmd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Enjoy your trip at this lovely time of year!!
Posts: 34 | From: Carroll County, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for travelplus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Enjoy your trip. I can't wait to read your trip report. Wow, 7,000 miles is quite an adventure but it gives the rail industry your business so lets hope Amtrak stays in business(:.

GOod luck. Happy holidays.

Posts: 259 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good Luck Mr Royal---

With all the horror stories abounding, I am 'reassessing' my previous intended Amtrak use on my annual Florida trip, which involves a connection @ WAS. I might even play 'Into the air, Junior Birdmen'; more likely navigating "voiture noir' over I-57, 24, and 75. (57 is preferred; there are fewer 18 wheelers, no Indy or Louisville congestion, no need to navigate perpetual highway construction on I-80 to access 65, and is the recommended AAA routing).

"I just don't need it".

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Enjoy !!!
Will cross my fingers for you and pray the "Train Gods" smile on you !! However it works out --- have a good time and enjoy every minute. Even the bumps in the road -- (or should that be track?).
Looking forward to the trip report.

Dee ---- who is more than a little green with envy.

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, good luck and God speed. I am looking forward to the report. What is wrong with Buffalo DePew? If one were doing the same trip in summer, could one try that Rochester ferry/Rochester station to better effect?
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kiernan
Member # 3828

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kiernan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't it "Up In Air, Junior Birdman?"

--------------------
Kiernan

Posts: 155 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojouner --- Buffalo- Depew station is a kind of blah station (think bus station). It is located out in the middle of nothing. When last I was there, I walked to the nearby bus stop and took the bus into Buffalo. If memory serves me there are no nearby stores, eating establishments or such. The time of the trains going through is not the best --- at least westbound on the Lakeshore (11:57 pm). Also just as the world wakes on the eastbound Lakeshore.(7:05 am). The Maple Leaf arrives and departs at civilized afternoon hours. But alas it goes only eastbound to NYC ---- and goes only a short distance westbound to Toronto.
Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Appears to be a take your pick, Mr. Kiernan:

http://www.thebucknerhome.com/camp/songs/songsj.htm

http://sniff.numachi.com/~rickheit/dtrad/pages/tiINTOAIR2.html

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Enjoy your trip royaltrain, im sure it will be an adventure!
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Dee. I've been through on the Lakeshore but it's not very memorable, I think I was just waking up. Rochester and esp Syracuse looked nicer, that is true. So is Buffalo De Pew the best place to change for the Lakeshore?

Of course you could also take the VIA to Montreal, the Adirondack to Albany, and change THERE for the Lakeshore. Much longer trip though. But it's the prettiest Amtrak east of the Mississippi so they say (I have never been on teh Cardinal, which I hear is nice too).

Or what about train to Windsor, taxi to Detroit? or train to Sarnia, taxi to Port Huron? If that is still running?

It's so inane that here's no train Toronto to Chicago

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page