RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Capitol Limited and Silver Service trains

Author Topic: Capitol Limited and Silver Service trains
Nasscarr1720
Member # 2060

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nasscarr1720     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has any advice for some one traveling on the Capitol Limited from Chicago to Washington DC and Silver Service train from Washington DC to Orlando? Any advice on what scenery to watch for? How is the service on the trains? We will be traveling coach class. Do these trains usually run late. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Bill

Posts: 41 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, if at all financially possible, I would suggest upgrading your trip to Sleeper. If your party is two adults, the recommended accomodation is a Bedroom; the Roomette is simply too small

The surcharge is steep; in fact, it will be greater than what you have committed to date for Coach fare. However, in my opinion, in Sleeper you have reasonable expectation of an enjoyable travel experience as opposed to what I guarantee you would be a masochistic endurance contest.

Speaking only for myself on this point, if I were in a position that there were simply not funds available for Sleeper travel, I would look for other means of transport such as air or auto, or if the trip was totally discressionary, simply stay at home.

Those are simply my thoughts, with which esteemed and respected Members here will disagree therewith (I know who they are; you will soon find out), that if there is any way to stay out of those Coaches, that is what I would be doing.

Nevertheless, regardless of class of service used, the ride over the Alleghenies in Western Pennsylvania as you ascend the Yiougheny River to Confluence, then traverse Sand Patch, then descend along the Casselman to Cumberland and the Potomac is scenic. I simply, if riding Coach, would be too zombied to even know or care where I was.

You may have a problem with your connection in Wash if you are connecting to the Silver Star. However, if you are ticketed through Chicago to Orlando, Amtrak has an obligation to "look out for you". and reaccomodate you on the next available train. Timekeeping on the Capitol Limited has been less than stellar of late.

So try to enjoy; but as I noted there is a much greater expectation of enjoyment if you choose to ride Sleeper.

In closing, you ask about service; in Coach there is simply none. However, if you choose Sleeper, some Attendants 'have that way' to provide attentive on-board service.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
However, in my opinion, in Sleeper you have reasonable expectation of an enjoyable travel experience as opposed to what I guarantee you would be a masochistic endurance contest.
[/QB]

With all due respect, I think that is a little harsh, Mr. Norman. Yes, I prefer sleeper wherever possible, but I would still take the train in coach than the pain of getting virtually strip searched and then sardined in a 500mph aluminium can for a couple of hours. The one advantage of coach, which I guess some would call a disadvantage, is the group/party/sharing kind of atmosphere that you get sometimes - something not possible in a sleeper with its enclosed compartments.

Maybe if you go into coach with an opinion like Mr. Norman's, ie low expectations, then you might be pleasantly surprised.

But that is just my opinion, just as Mr. Norman has his perfectly valid opinion.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dcfan
Member # 2311

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dcfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill,

From Chicago, sit on the right hand side of the train for the trip over Sand Patch into Cumberland. The view from that side is also nice coming over the Potomac River after departing Harper's Ferry.

There is not much to see on the Florida trains beyond some scenery along the Potomac south of Alexandria, VA after leaving Washington, DC. For that view, I'd say sit on the left side of the train.

The Silver Meteor (Train 97/98) leaves DC at 7:30 p.m. and would offer a better (safer) connection. My office window overlooks the CSX route for the Capitol Ltd. outside of Washington and the on-time schedule varies greatly. The scenery on the Capitol is nice coming through the mountains, and is worth the ride. The ride across Ohio will shake you up quite a bit as the track is very rough at train speed.

Have fun!

Wesley

Posts: 73 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nasscarr1720
Member # 2060

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nasscarr1720     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for the information. Gilbert B, you have me a little scared. It sounds like I will be traveling in a 3rd world country.. I do not mean any disrespect to your answer and I do appreciate the information sometime even if it is not good it is helpful. I do not have very high expectation and I love to drive long distance on little sleep but wanted to try out a train trip..

Geoff M and dcfan also thank you for your recommendations on what side of the train to sit on to get the best view. I am looking at this as being an adventure.

How is the food on the train? Or should I take my own along? Do you know if there is a copy of the Silver Star rout guide available? I got one for the Capitol Limited off the Amtrak web sight..

Thank you all again..
Bill

Posts: 41 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are planning to use Coach account $$$ constraints,your restaurant will be the Snack Bar located in the Lounge Car. Here the snack items are 'tasty' and no more overpriced than at a sports arena. You can either consume your purchase, including alcoholic beverages, at a table in the Lounge or back at your seat.

You are free to 'bring you own' such as in a small cooler; however this cannot "officially' be consumed in the Lounge and cannot (again "officially') include alcoholic beverages.

The full restaurant service Dining car is open to all passengers; as a Chicago restaurant critic (OK, your'e from Milwaukee: Sherman Kaplan of WBBM 780) would say 'expect for Breakfast and Lunch to spend $10 per person and $20 at Dinner plus add-ons' i.e. wine and tips.

However, should you choose to make this trip in Sleeper, those Dining Car meals, save the add-ons, are included in your fare; also you are free to consume your "private stock' in your room.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Bill,
Another opinion for you to consider. If you are going coach I suggest you take some kind of small shawl, blanket or someting similar to use at night, a snall travel pillow if you can fit it in is great. In the 70s I took our 3 children to LA from DC and back and we went coach. We had a great time and had no complaints. It all depends on your age and expectations and physical condition. As to the sleepers, which we are now able to afford, for a number of years we went with the economy sleeper. Now called roomette. Unless you are very large it is quite comfortable . It looks at first glance as minute but once settled in is fine. The only problem is getting dressed or undressed after the beds are in place. I always headed for the bathroom to dress while the beds were being mad up. Also since I am 5/4 we could put our overnight cases on the foot of my bed.My husband is 6 ft and he was comfortable in the upper.
I would suggest snacks however you travel. things like peanut butter crackers, nuts, fruit etc. and if in a coach a couple of bottles of water. Also I do think $20 is high for breakfast. Look at the menus on the amtrak.com site. Also get the book Rail Ventures from the library or book store.It will give you info on what to see along the way. I hope this is helpful

Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Again, in my humble opinion: breakfast is ok, lunch is ok, but dinner is worth trying at least once. I'm more of a cereal-and-tea kind of breakfast man which is only a few dollars in the snack car. Note that dinner can cost you far less than $20 if you only have a main course and soft drinks. Dare I suggest the European method of tipping which is only generous tipping for *above average* service, not for basic "service with a snarl" (European is 10-15% of meal cost; I realise that American is far more generous).

As for route guides, the only page I can think of is http://www.trainweb.com/routes/route_91.htm . These are travelogues rather than route guides but might be interesting reading.

Train Lady's tips regarding snacks, blankets, and pillows are good advice. You do get a tiny pillow at night in coach but I prefer a much larger one.

Geoff M.

[Edited to correct link]

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can ask about upgrades, but I suspect getting any sort of sleeping accommodations at this late day, traveling at this (high) season, will cost you an arm and a leg. But don't be scared about going coach; on the Capital, you should spend as much time in the observation car as possible. On the Silver Service, they don't have the really nice observation car (it's one of those NY trains), so if you do upgrade, that's where I'd try to get it. But I have traveled coach to Florida; in fact, I came back coach last year from Jacksonville and managed fine.

I do agree about taking a pillow. Amtrak gives you one pillow, but it's very good to have two. And I recommend also those cheap little black eye masks. I don't bring a blanket; I use my raincaot with removable lining. And I wear comfy clothes, in layers, including a 2nd pair of warm socks I can take off if need be. Be sure to bring books and music too, and info on the route (I xerox it from Rail USA). Take a couple of Tylenol to help with any little aches and pains.

For food, I generally bring peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (on whole wheat pita, lasts better), dried fruit, granola bars, bananas, and and bottled water when I travel coach, though I always pay for at least one meal for the experience. Dinner can be pricey so you might do breakfast (I recommend the railroad French Toast). (It will run you $8-9 with the tip if you don't get bacon or sausage; the coffee and I think juice is included but bacon or sausage is extra.) You can also grab some food at Union Station in DC if you have time; I don't know how long the layover is.

Re the views: don't miss the area around Harper's Ferry and the rest as noted on Capitol Ltd. On the trip down to FL, there isn't much after you leave DC (it's night) but sit on the left side facing forward if possible (or if not you can try going into the snack car and looking from there). After dawn comes up, there are a some OK swampy misty views and at Jacksonville there is a nice view of the city/bridge. Also nice is the green in Winter Park just before you come to Orlando.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This link will get you to a page which lists Route Guides for most of the Amtrak LD trains.

http://www.trainweb.com/routes/

Sleeper vs Coach is mostly a matter of taste. While I prefer sleeper due to my senior citizen status (with arthritus limiting me somewhat) if the only way to get there without blowing the budget was to go coach -- then I would call it an adventure and do it. (Many do and actually enjoy it.)

However you choose to go --- Enjoy!!! (and stop back and let us know how the trip was.)

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coach vs. sleeper -so much depends on what type of experience suits you. Sleeping cars are better for privacy, service, stuffing yourself with food, and having bathrooms not used by the masses. But a roomette can feel claustraphobic and you can only see out one side of the train. Bedrooms offer room to stand up, a better view, and your own bathroom, but at considerable price.

Coach can be very comfortable. The roomy seats are better than first class airlines and recline. I prefer to get to know people on a train and you can't do that in a bedroom. My 27 yr old son just went to Seattle and back in coach and never slept for 2 days -only because the people he met on the train were so fun he didn't want to miss anything. He normally sleeps fine in the Superliner lounge but not in coach. On the other hand you can be constantly annoyed by crying babies, drunks, or obnoxious people. In most cases, you can move to another spot. And some people like to visit 3rd world countries. Sometimes you are lucky enough to be seated with all very nice people.

I prefer to "nest" in my seat. The extra travel pillow is a must to cushion the hard spots. My hooded sweatshirt dulls the sound and lights, but still lets me fall asleep watching the countryside roll by.

When I do choose sleeper it is for one reason. I can get my coffee before 6:30am when the cafe car opens. I spend all day in the lounge even when I have a bedroom, just for the view.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When going coach southward from DC I usually try to sit on the left side because there are some interesting waterfront views between Lorton and just below Quantico to near Fredericksburg. There's also the opportunity to spot the apartment that my wife lived in near Woodbridge years before we were married. (Weren't even dating......we were just in the 'good friends' stage.....but that really is another story.)

Beyond the big James River bridge south of Richmond though the only real scenic highlight is watching the land get swampier as you move through South Carolina into Georgia and Florida. Take that back......if you're on the 'Silver Star' the landscape between Raleigh, NC and Hamlet, NC is interesting BUT you're only going to see that in daylight if you're on the northbound Star and if you're three hours late...a real possibility as often as not.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nasscarr1720
Member # 2060

Rate Member
I just want to thank everyone I knew I could count on getting good advice for my trip from everyone hear..Hope you all are having a great day..

Bill

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page