RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Union Station (Chicago) Parking

Author Topic: Union Station (Chicago) Parking
Amtrak Rookie
Member # 4251

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak Rookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone. Looking to catch a train from Union Station in Chicago on Friday and need parking information.
Does Union Station have a parking garage for overnight parking?
Thanks in advance.

Posts: 13 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't speak particularly to the parking situation in Chicago but you might want to consider an outlying station and then using either Amtrak or commuter rail into the city. I once took Amtrak to Montana and left a vehicle for a week without incident at the Elkhart, IN station.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrakwine
Member # 4265

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrakwine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was in Chicago two weeks ago, seems like I remember a Amtrak parking lot acrosss the street. I think it was outside the Randolph street entrance I do not know what the rate was.
Posts: 22 | From: Austin Texas | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenchappell
Member # 2245

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenchappell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AS far as I can remember the parking at Chicago Union can be accessed directly from the station - there are signs directing you to the parking by way of an enclosed walkway.

According to the website (accessed through the Texas Eagle section of the Stations section on Amtrak.com) there are 500 short term and 500 long term spaces ad 24 hour security.

Posts: 28 | From: Bristol England | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Union Ststion Garage is located South of Jackson on Clinton St. In common with any parking facility in a downtown area, "it won't come cheap'.

But that facility is certainly convenient to CUS and is attended 24/7.

However, Mr. Rookie, if you value your auto, as distinct from 'so it gets whacked; it's just a car', I would think twice about use of any public facility for an extended period. But on the flip side to that, the last time (Nov 04) my auto was at the body shop (fortunately only of the 'Dentbusters' variety) was the result of a 30 minute "stint' in the lot of an upscale food store in 'smell the $$$" Hinsdale

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page