RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Chicago Ideas

Author Topic: Chicago Ideas
dizney1990
Member # 4334

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for dizney1990     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be taking my first solo cross country trip (in a sleeper) in early April. (My friends are all flying to California.) First, I am taking the Capitol Limited from DC to Chicago and then the Southwest Chief to Los Angeles. I am looking for ideas of things to do during my layover in Chicago. Also, what are my options for my suitcase while I am in Chicago.

My only other long distance train trips have been the auto train to Florida, but I've never travelled alone.

Thanks!

Posts: 10 | From: Maryland 10 miles outside of DC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
since you are taking a sleeper you can use the metropolitan lounge in Chicago and DC. In Chicago there is a place to check your baggage that is secure right in the lounge. When you check in they will give you a boarding pass for the chief and tell you what time to be back. When you return you can claim your luggage. They will direct you to the train or you can get a red cap who will come right into the lounge.
As to what to do it all depends on your interests and how much time you have between trains. If time allows we usually grab a cab and head for the Art Institute,Field Museum or Navy pier. One time we simply browsed through Marshall Fields (soon to become Macy's) and ate lunch in the Walnut room. There is an info desk right outside the lounge and they can give you ideas or check the web for Chicago and there you will find many ideas. If you don't have much time or the weather is horrid you can always browse around union station,pick up lunch there and as we like to do bring it back to the lounge which is large and has tables and chairs. Just relax and enjoy. On the trains do go down to the lounge car where the chances a very good you will meet some people to talk to. When you get back give us a report of how things went.knowing this forum I feel sure you will get a lot of very good ideas.

Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Observation Deck of the Sears Tower is always an interesting diversion. The tower is about a block east of Union Station just across the river. Your ticket gets you a video introduction and an express elevator ride up to the 103rd floor.

Have a nice trip and come back to tell us about it when you get home!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the Capitol Ltd is on-time into Chicago (scheduled arrival 8:30 AM), you will have plenty of time to take a taxi and visit the Field Museum (always my favorite thing to do in Chicago between trains!) -- if the Capitol is late, then I'd suggest going to the top of the Sears Tower (one block away from CUS) as David suggested. If the weather is nice, I also always enjoy sitting in the plaza along the river right outside the Jackson Blvd entrance to CUS, and watching the boats go down the river.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure how long your layover will be, do u have time to check out a trip north to Wrigley for a Cubs game or South to I still will call it Cominsky Park to catch the World (not wbc) Champion White Sox. or try the walking tour by the architecture society read White City Black Devil as a good primer.
Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two corrections:

1) That's Comisky Park (the "n" is silent)
2) The book is by Erik Larsson, and is "The Devil in the White City", a wonderful nonfiction book about the World's Columbian Exposition in 1893 that reads like a novel. Great book, highly recommended.

If you're short on time, a boat trip on the Chicago River and out into Lake Michigan is worth doing.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dizney1990
Member # 4334

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dizney1990     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the great ideas for Chicago. The Capital Limited is scheduled to arrive in Chicago at 8:30 am. And the Southwest Chief departs at 3:15 pm. So, if the Capitol Limited isn't too late, I should have enough time to explore some of these options.

Does anybody know about the ontime record for either of these 2 trains? The Capitol Limited from DC to Chicago and the Southwest Chief from Chicago to Los Angeles?

Posts: 10 | From: Maryland 10 miles outside of DC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There should not be any connection problem as equipment arriving CUS as #29 (Capitol Ltd) makes a same day continuation as #3 (Southwest Chief)
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we have found that #29 is often on time. Then there are times when it can be an hour or more late. So over the years we have decided the best way to figure out what to do is to have several plans in mind,. then depending on the time of arrival we know what we want to do. Keep in mind that the train ,if on time, arrives at 8:30 but a lot of museums and sites do not open until 10. In which case you can sit in the lounge and wait or go out and walk around depending on the weather. Last year it was too cold to wander so we sat in the lounge and read. We always have a paperback in the carry on.I guess what I am saying is make some plans in advance. It is worth it.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
rresor, thanks for the book title. My grandmother went to that exposition when she was a young girl and talked about it the rest of her life. I have a spoon and a piece of signed embroidery that she had gotten there. So I am eager to read more about the event.
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also you could take a Metra Train out and back during your layover. A safe way to see Chicago and the surrounding area.

http://www.trainweb.org/chris

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg:
Also you could take a Metra Train out and back during your layover. A safe way to see Chicago and the surrounding area.

http://www.trainweb.org/chris

Chris

The Aurora Metra Route is always good for an interesting out and back trip BUT since the 'Southwest Chief' uses this same line out of town now it might be overkill.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chaslett
Member # 1012

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chaslett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Art Institute is another place to consider visiting.
There is a wonderful store-The Savvy Traveler. It is couple blocks south of the Art Institute on the west side of Michigan Avenue.

Posts: 54 | From: Chagrin Falls, OH, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page