RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak Long Distance Trains in Danger of being cut, June 30th 2006 study flier

Author Topic: Amtrak Long Distance Trains in Danger of being cut, June 30th 2006 study flier
BNSF 1088
Member # 2400

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BNSF 1088   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a flier that i urge you to print out and start passing around set it out where ever you can we don't have much time.

There are a lot of rumors out there but what is in this flier is what will happen after June 30th 2006.

If we want to keep Amtrak then we must stop all the fighting and saying where do you get this information.

Take what groups issue as far as fliers and start handing them out.

http://www.saveourtrainsmichigan.com/Amtrak%20Trains%20in%20danger%20of%20being%20cut%20off.pdf

--------------------
Matt Marderosian
Director Of
Save Our Trains Michigan
www.saveourtrainsmichigan

Save Our Trains Mississippi
www.saveourtrainsmississippi.com

Posts: 210 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd delete the comma in the "No, Amtrak Long Distance train or manned Amtrak station is safe from being pulled off or unmanned." sentence. It reads quite differently with it in.

But I wish you (or Amtrak) luck.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is anything special going on here, or is this just the usual fiscal appropriation fight? I haven't heard of anything new being done by the admin to kill long distance trains, aside from a "generous" offer of 900 mil for next year's budget. That's the same figure as all the other years except for last year, when it was zero, and the trains were in far more danger then than now. Also, I shy away from leaflets that would pass off as "scare tactics" because they turn people away.
And finally, I'm afraid I tend not to fall in line and refrain from asking "where do you get this information." Not in this case (I wholeheartedly agree the long distance network is in grave danger) but in so many other causes around the country people bend information to suit their needs and pass it off as unadulterated fact. I tend to ask that question regardless of the situation because I need to know that and other details before making a decision on something, it's just how I operate.

http://www.narprail.org/cms/images/uploads/leaf0603col.pdf
http://www.narprail.org/cms/images/uploads/PromoLeaf0602Color.pdf

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amtrak207:
Is anything special going on here, or is this just the usual fiscal appropriation fight?

The Amtrak board, such as it is, decided to do a complete performance review of the long distance trains this summer, and then look at the data and determine if any changes are warranted. If I understand correctly, they plan to establish a standard of performance metrics and see how the trains measure up.

Chairman David Laney has said that nothing is off the table in regards to what to do. The result of the study may involve removing trains, or adding them, or re-routing them, or changing their schedules, etc. etc. etc. Some have interpreted this as a way to eliminate them entirely, but Laney indicated that would be the last resort, only after other measures have been taken to improve a train's performance.

Personally, I prefer to distribute the NARP leaflets referenced above, with a NARP membership form on the flip side. I try to keep the Salinas station stocked with same.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
patbl
Member # 4303

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for patbl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a little confused. Is the review starting June 30th or ending June 30th? Just wondering if summer trips are safe.

Thanks,
Patbl

Posts: 15 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me repeat. The trains aren't going away.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BNSF 1088
Member # 2400

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BNSF 1088   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
summer trips will be safe the Study ends on June 30th after July 1st the 180 day notices will come out.

--------------------
Matt Marderosian
Director Of
Save Our Trains Michigan
www.saveourtrainsmichigan

Save Our Trains Mississippi
www.saveourtrainsmississippi.com

Posts: 210 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The trains are probably not going away, but if the Amtrak attack continues one will have the opportunity to sit on a wooden bench seat or stand subway style all the way cross country while stopping at a 7-11 for meals and beverage.....and also enjoy a clean it yourself bathroom.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
patbl
Member # 4303

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for patbl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL 20th Century. Thanks for the info everyone. I've been planning my trip for months and it is finally just 2 weeks away.

:-)
Patbl

Posts: 15 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim
Member # 65

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's an election year. Trains aren't going away in 2006. And no train-off notices will be posted before the November elections.
Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gp35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see why it is such a big deal to fund Amtrak. We waste billions and billions. What is an extra $1.5 billion.
Posts: 562 | From: Beaumont Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr GP35,

Amtrak, to the incumbent Administration, is what the US Department of Education was to the Reagan Administration: A symbol of Federal waste, which can best serve the Nation by disappearing from the scene.

Whether we agree with this POV or not, I believe this is a realistic assessment of what the folks at 1600 Pennsylvania want.

Now, what happens when we change Administrations (either by person or by party)? Anyone's guess. Amtrak has *not necessarily* been befriended by Democratic administrations either.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone tell me a government program that been discontinued since the Truman administration? Did we miss it? I have begun receiving the same emergancy type e-mails with alerts of the administration defunding and closing down NPR.
Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gp35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PullmanCo:
Mr GP35,

Amtrak, to the incumbent Administration, is what the US Department of Education was to the Reagan Administration: A symbol of Federal waste, which can best serve the Nation by disappearing from the scene.

Whether we agree with this POV or not, I believe this is a realistic assessment of what the folks at 1600 Pennsylvania want.

Now, what happens when we change Administrations (either by person or by party)? Anyone's guess. Amtrak has *not necessarily* been befriended by Democratic administrations either.

President Bush is a bold in your face President. If he wanted Amtrak dead, it would be dead. The President approach seem to be a game of chicken to scare Amtrak and states into reform.
Posts: 562 | From: Beaumont Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by gp35:
President Bush is a bold in your face President. If he wanted Amtrak dead, it would be dead. The President approach seem to be a game of chicken to scare Amtrak and states into reform.

Wrong one one count. President Bush does not have it within his power to dissolve Amtrak. That would require an act of Congress.

But I think you're right that the administration is playing a game of chicken. Take last year's zero budget for Amtrak. Mineta himself said they would fund Amtrak if Congress adopted the Bush plan, but not otherwise. But it was a bad way to play chicken. Bush didn't blink, and Congress ran Amtrak funding right over him. Congress 1, Bush 0.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tanner929:
Can anyone tell me a government program that been discontinued since the Truman administration? Did we miss it? I have begun receiving the same emergancy type e-mails with alerts of the administration defunding and closing down NPR.

The Office of Economic Opportunity bit the dust under the Nixon administration. As I recall, they got an appropriation, then blew it with splashy PR telling the world about all the great things they were to do.

They got cut.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Toy:
quote:

Wrong one one count. President Bush does not have it within his power to dissolve Amtrak. That would require an act of Congress.

But I think you're right that the administration is playing a game of chicken. Take last year's zero budget for Amtrak. Mineta himself said they would fund Amtrak if Congress adopted the Bush plan, but not otherwise. But it was a bad way to play chicken. Bush didn't blink, and Congress ran Amtrak funding right over him. Congress 1, Bush 0.

I'm not sure it was a congress victory because bush is yet to veto a bill. If someone in congress would introduce a multi-year funding bill, Bush would probably not veto it.
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
quote:
I'm not sure it was a congress victory because bush is yet to veto a bill. If someone in congress would introduce a multi-year funding bill, Bush would probably not veto it.

It just means Congress called his bluff.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page