RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Mr Laney's Amtrak - Trip Report

Author Topic: Mr Laney's Amtrak - Trip Report
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The following is adapted from material I posted to another site.

Lest my recent Amtrak journey to the New York area that I have noted at various postings “here and there” slip into the “fog” of a 65 year old mind. allow me to post an “impression report” (as distinct from a trip report ) of the journey.

This was my first Amtrak journey of any kind since March 2005 and my first LD since Feb ‘05.. As such this was my introduction to “Mr. Laney’s Amtrak”.

In any event, the journey commenced at CUS June 8 aboard the Capitol Limited #30(8)enroute to Wash. Although the train was boarded with sufficient time for an on time departure, such was not to be the case. Reason? no available(rested) Conductor and Engineer.

My Roomette #11 was in S-I sleeper #32058, which had been through the Gunn “state of good repair’ rehab. The car was clean and the interior decor reflected a more contemporary “image’ than did the as-delivered “oh so ‘80’s” of the S-I’s. However, it was quickly evident that the “state..’ did not include basics such as “air”; in short, the car was a ‘hot one” until an electrician at Pittsburgh was able to make it a “cool one”.

Departure was finally at 645P (70 min down); I subsequently learned that the Capitol and Lake Shore trains are crewed at Toledo for the TOL-CHI segment (apparently the former base at Garrett/Waterloo has been killed). The TOL-CHI run has now meant that a crew now needs a “full” rest (8 hours) before returning to duty, “short” rest (“respite“ 4 hours) will not suffice. Therefore, since the crews are assigned 49-CHI same day)-30 and 29-CHI (same day)-48, a two hour late inbound #49 means that the #30 Capitol will be hard pressed to depart on time. While such may prove to be an efficient way to “operate the road” it certainly is not for handling passengers. Could have a rested crew been found?well the Toledo board, comprising persons qualified over the NYC and the various roads approaching Chicago, was on this day, “dry” (one man on vacation, two on suspension). Therefore, we waited..

Now to the “Simplified Dining Service”; OK, it’s not what was but it will suffice. I can’t think of any better phrase to describe my impression. On #30, I ordered the Braised Short Ribs; cutting through the propagandist’s puff that you can read at the website, it was ‘adequate”. This is not microwave food; it is prepared off site by a caterer and delivered to the train - it is just another off site catering event to the contractor. It certainly beats Reagan-era “microchow”. Yes the crockery is plastic, but the flatware is metal and the napkins are cloth. Condiments such as butter and dressings are not skimped upon.

Overall, ITTILDOO.

By morning it was evident we were “quite (3hrs) "late”. Apparently the lateness was sufficient that Amtrak called for busses to meet #91(9) connections and “move them forward” to Wash from Pittsburgh. Only problem is that a Conductor considered this an “emergency” and made announcements to that effect at 430AM; my understanding is PA was off limits, save emergency until 7AM. So much for a fitful sleep on my part!!!(BTW anyone know what train #95 is? the Conductor evidently did but darned if I do).

At Breakfast, the “Railroad French Toast’ is hardly that of the Santa Fe or Union Pacific; since there are no “Cook’s Tours’ of the kitchen, I can’t report if it along with the accompanying pork sausage is microwave or not..

Even though I’ve been over the B&O Pgh-Wash “umpteen times’ during daylight, I still find the ascent of the Alleghenies along first the Mononghela, then the Yiougheny to Confluence, the Casselman beyond, X-ing the summit at Sand Patch, thence following the Wills River to Cumberland to be an interesting trip. Surveying the B&O and using what God already put in place certainly caused less environmental impact than did the earth slaughtering with I-80 across Northern Pennsylvania - and somehow I think CSX handles a ton mile of freight over the B&O for less cost than does an 18 wheeler over the latter..

Now for a first for me - Lunch on the ‘Cap’, owing to the lateness there was a limited Lunch menu offered. My selection was a chicken sandwich which was “on a par’ with, say, Wendy’s offering of such.

Arrival at Wash was 250PM or that amount late. Ironically, there was no need for Amtrak to have called the busses at Pgh as on the adjacent track, there was #91!!!!

Car attendant, Miss Brenda, was “just great’ with her attentiveness and tact. The latter was put to the test when she had to “defuse’ a smoking incident - and what was being puffed was not ‘tabaccky’. She definitely deserved being handed “Alex’ instead of my usual “Abe’.

As for refurbished Sleeper 32058, I’m afraid “good repair’ is becoming disrepair. The air conditioning left a bit to be desired until an electrician at Pgh waved a magic wand, then it became time for the “big chill’. Somehow, the hardware for the rebuild program is just not the Adams and Westlake of Pullman Company yore - nuff said on that. .Also in consist was an “Empire Builder’ Sightseer; ‘take it or leave it’ is my reaction, the only time I was in it was to walk through the train to get a view of “Sugar Creek’ a PV that was added at Pgh. The Coach loading appeared “adequate’; both Sleepers were sold.

So much for the comfort of the train as next stop was at the Hertz counter followed by a little ‘rainstorm drive’ down I-395, thence I-95 to Exit 126 followed by still further South on VA2 to the perimeter of Fort AP Hill where my retired military friends reside in Caroline County. The 75 mile drive took some three hours - oh well, just another Friday in the District..

Saturday morning after leaving the hotel (back at 126) and having a ‘farewell tag team wrestling match’ with Molly and Roxie (Golden and Labrador respectively), it was 915A and time to start the ‘other return match’ with I-95. This time no incidents beyond a little “what else is new’ stop and go on 395 between King St and Glebe Rd. Arrival at Union Station allowed comfortable time to ‘gas up the geezermobile’ (white Ford Taurus - anyone have a better description of that plain vanilla buggy) at an Exxon at 2nd East and Mass (location of possible interest to anyone else renting from Union Station) return it (hey, it did the job), buy my New York Times, and be in the boarding area for Regional #88 (10) with 15 minutes to spare.

Since #88 originated Richmond (it went through FBG at 925A - but there are no downtown auto rental outlets there or for that matter any chain hotels a walk from the station), it departed from the Lower Level. I’ve often wondered why those of us paying the premium to ride Business Class must walk the furthest then why anyone must ascend
an Amfleet trap at Amtrak’s showpiece station facility. But then, I guess the only way one boards some of VRE’s leased equipment is at a low level platform.

For those residing or not otherwise having reason to visit the Northeast, all I can continue to say is you haven’t experienced what contemporary rail passenger service is all about until you have experienced the Corridor. Without being in the least condescending to anyone residing in “one a day’ land, here is where rail is a true transport option in that one can ride a train that departs at one’s convenience and not vice versa, will arrive “more or less’ when scheduled, and will provide adequate comfort and amenities for the journey involved.

En route to Stamford, for my first time I noted how conspicuous the National Operations Center is at Wilmington. Somehow, I would have thought it was at an “undisclosed location’, but there it is for any passing traveler to see.

X-ing Hell Gate, it always is painful for me to look to the West and note the absence of what was there now five years ago. Hopefully maybe I will see the Freedom Tower before I leave this life, and maybe viewing such will help ease the pain..

Arrival at Stamford was on time to the minute and the Hertz (Avis as well) office is fifty paces from alighting on the head end. It was another ten paces to the auto which ‘guess what’ was another White Taurus!!! Ford must have offered Hertz “such a deal”!!!!. Within fifteen minutes after arrival, I was rolling towards School 75 miles away in South Kent CT. - beat that for convenience, air travelers!!!

Tuesday, it was off for the return to Chicago and home. After some scurrying (I was in a conference in Greenwich that did not break camp until 1045A and 171 departs Stamford at 1125A). Fortunately on Saturday, the lady at Hertz told me that the Exxon at Richmond Hill and Main was gone but that she would accept as “filled’ a gas up at Mobil East of Conde Nast in Old Greenwich (again; all this “car talk’ in case someone is renting from that Stamford facility). I thank whoever that she told me; if I had to go hunting for a gas station, I would have missed 171. After an ‘aggressive’ (OK maybe I did it faster as
an 18 year old kid but that was “once upon a time”) drive along US1, the “pit stop’ returning the auto, and going the 50 paces to Track 3, I had five minutes to spare to board an on-time 171 (13) to NYPenn.

After parking my bags in Club Acela, it was off on a walk through Midtown Manhattan at lunch hour to an address at Park Ave and 53rd St. My best impression is that if you are not ‘yakking into a cell phone, you just aint”. The club at which I had been invited to lunch has a strict rule against their use...wise indeed...I can just see all the “Masters of the Universe’ walking around yakking anywhere (and about things they should best not) on the premises. It is funny how I have had one since 1984 (car phone back then) but it has never ruled my life.

After lunch, another walk to Penn (via Times Square this time) and dodging the yakkers, I got there comfortably in time for the Lake Shore’s 320P departure. Boarding #49(13) was on time, departure was 20 min late (holding for 20), the Attendant asked if I was familiar with the room, told me the direction of travel - with my #5 on “wrong side’, what else, and otherwise went MIA. Since she ‘evaporated’ I moved over to #6 or the Hudson, but was mindful it was likely sold and respected it accordingly . Dinner was at “ungodly early hours” as “prime time’ was reserved for #449 passengers. The Lamb Shank was again “adequate’, and the New York crew was the usual ‘law unto themselves’ which caused me to “have my head chopped off’ for trying to take a peek into the Kitchen of Diner #8511 (a most appropriate car as it was an ex-NYC Diner assigned for Century Coach passengers).

At Albany, I got a peek at the twelve car consist while motive power was changed from one P-32AC to two P-42’s Consist was Baggage, Heritage Dorm, three Viewliners, the Diner, Lounge, four A-II Coaches and a deadhead Horizon Coach on the rear.

By now I had noted that any audio/video equipment in my room had been stripped , and to my pleasant surprise there was not one PA announcement that I heard anytime on the trip. I didn’t miss either. That the movies are apparently gone, good riddance to them as well. I had a Times, a Journal, and a bottle of Guigal Cote d’ Rhone - hat is all I needed to be quite occupied. With the MIA Attendant, I put my own bed down making sure the straps (I like the Upper) were properly secured. and had an “adequate’ sleep.

Showers? on both trains...still “batting a thousand”

Surprise of surprises, departure from Toledo was only five minuets off - will wonders ever cease, but there was still some 225 miles to go. The French Toast Breakfast was again ‘consistently adequate’ with that on the EB “Capitol Limited’.. Elkhart...then South Bend...we’re on time...was I to be an eyewitness to history in the making??? We’re moving past all the places around Chicago that “Murphy’s Law” could easily rear its head. We’re over 21st bridge...were still moving....we are stopped at the platform smack on time at 905AM...’the Cubs have won a World Series, Holy Cow”.

Well, needless to say the Attendant suddenly became a ‘former POW”; in time to collect her “Abe”, even though I must wonder why...guess I envisioned my Mother looking down at me ‘letting me hear about it” if I failed to do so.

To summarize, for my first trip on “Mr. Laney’s Amtrak’ my $754.80 (historical fare) brought me a journey on which. three of the four trains ridden were on time to the minute, equipment was in a ‘state of adequate repair’, the ‘simplified dining’ was “passably adequate”, and overall “more positives than negatives’. Not rave reviews, but a perfectly respectable travel experience.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Mr. Norman. I am happy to hear your experience was adequate instead of unpleasant. My,oh my! The Lake Shore was on time. That's good news. More positives than negatives is also a good thing. I always enjoy riding the NE corridor because of it's passenger traffic, and speed.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rY.
Member # 3528

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rY.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Arrival at Union Station allowed comfortable time to ‘gas up the geezermobile’...
And you claimed to have no sense of humor...

Great travel writing, sir!

Posts: 108 | From: Culver City, CA, US | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHI_Amtrak_Fan
Member # 4004

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHI_Amtrak_Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Mr. Norman. I always enjoy reading your very fair assessments of Amtrak travel. Sounds like a nice trip.

Cheers,
David Z

Posts: 39 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks Mr Norman. I enjoyed reading your impressions. BTW I agree with ry. I love the geezermobile.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My thanks as well, Mr. N. I always enjoy your little personal accents. I'm glad the meals were adequate. Most of my Amtrak meals were good, but some "didntdoo." So if Amtrak can at least keep the food consistent and passable, perhaps "simplified" food service might not be too bad.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A very interesting train report--thanks so much, Mr Norman. But what is it with the crew and 8 hours? Is this 8 hour rule a truly needed safety rule, or is it just a union rule? If it happens so frequently, it sounds very counterproductive for Amtrak--maybe they need new crew. It nearly happened to me when I was catching an LSL back from Chicago--the dep/arr board said there was a delay for that reason, but then they apparently got another crew in (almost) time to leave.

Not that our LSL was anywhere near on time--but we lost all the time due to track repair between Buffalo and Albany. Which btw was out completely yesterday owing to the flooding--I hope the floods didn't wash away the track repair!

I would not want to make up my own bed--in spite of traveling fairly often, I'm a "girl" and don't know how. Also, the broken a/c, a frequent occurrence, is annoying to me. I don't mind really cold--I bring thermals now, even in summer, just in case. But I hate if it's too hot; it makes it hard to sleep.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gilbert - great report!!! I like the way you always "tell it like it is." Keep up the good work!! I'm glad you had an enjoyable trip.

We will be returning from our vacation on #4 on July 16, and will be looking for you and your "pooch" (I can't say the other word) as we pass thru Clarendon Hills!

To Sojourner - yes, the "8-hour" RR Union rule has been around forever!! It's as old as the hills -- whether it is really necessary -- ??????? The rest of us have to work overtime now and then, so why can't the train crews do the same? But I do see the safety aspects of it.

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The eight hour rule is Federal Law, or more specifically part of the Hours of Service Law.
Hours of Service Law

Without getting too technical at a Forum where the membership is mainly interested in discussing travel experiences (as opposed to policy at railroad.net or operations at trainorders), allow me to note only Train & Engine crews are subject to the Hours of Service Law as well as some non-operating crafts such as Train Dispatchers, Operators, Towermen (any left??), and even Signal Maintainers that are directly involved with train operation. Supervisory personnel such as Trainmasters and Road Foremen who could be called upon to operate a train in the performance of their duties are inexplicably exempt.

"The Law" as appertaining covered railroad employees states that no employee may be continuously held on duty for more than twelve hours (except emergencies). They may not be called again for service until they have eight hours rest (never mind trying to catch some winks during the daytime in a fleabag - or for that matter even The Ritz - hotel; that's the man's problem and not the carrier's).

There is one major exception and that is for "short rest' or as known on some roads, a 'respite'. In this instance if during the twelve hour period an employee is relieved and afforded "suitable lodging' (that pretty much means a hotel) for more than four but less than eight hours, that may be considered a "time out' and upon completion of the rest the remaining twelve hours time may be used for duty.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
delvyrails
Member # 4205

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for delvyrails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to see that they still have the ability to add a PV at Pittsburgh. Maybe one day they'll learn how to subtract a regular car or two there for forwarding on the Pennsylvanian!

--------------------
John Pawson

Posts: 137 | From: Willow Grove, PA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great report Mr. Norman. I think I'll add a small box fan to my travel bag along with the duct tape. My next roomette may not have AC but if it has the 110 outlet I can still create a comfortable breeze. Great for 'white noise' too if we spend excessive time on a siding during the night.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page