RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Sunset NOL-LAX next week

Author Topic: Sunset NOL-LAX next week
Steve O.
Member # 2993

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve O.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just booked NOL-LAX on #1 for an 11/6 departure.

It'll be almost a year to the day since I last rode the Sunset. I took the inagural post-Katrina Sunset out of New Orleans on 11/4/05. I remember it was a light train out of New Orleans...15 in coach, and I was the only rider in the lone Sleeping Car, which doubled as the crew dorm. The consist was small as well...just two locos and five cars out of NOL, no baggage car. It turned out to be an excellent trip, and we were 15 minutes EARLY into LAX!

Has the consist changed at all? I have room #4 in the 130 car. Is that a normal sleeper or is it the dorm again?

Either way, I can't wait to get back on track.

--------------------
Good morning America, how are ya?

44,950 Amtrak rail miles traveled since August 18, 2003.

Posts: 135 | From: Atlanta, GA / New Orleans, LA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SunsetLtd
Member # 3985

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunsetLtd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Sunset now has its normal consist as if it went to Florida, with a full Sleeper and Sightseer. The Crew now has the Dorm to themselves again. Also it might have a full Baggage car too if they haven't taken it off for the off-peak season yet.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Amsunset

www.facebook.com/kevinschillinger

Posts: 250 | From: Texas State University-San Marcos, Texas (Hometown El Paso, TX) | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gp35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baggage coach is there. My office window over looks the KCS line so I see Sunset every Tuesday and Friday.

One thing I noticed. Someone on the forum said UP drivers are not as good as BNSF, something like that. I thought to myself this person was just bias against UP. However I think this person was right. I understand the lift bridge in Beaumont has a 20 mph limit. Amtrak and BNSF trains cross the bridge at what looks to be about 20 mph or less. UP and KCS trains fly across that bridge at about 40 mph.

Posts: 562 | From: Beaumont Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
One thing I noticed. Someone on the forum said UP drivers are not as good as BNSF, something like that.
While hardly saying intentional on your part, Mr.GP-35, I can recall a rather nasty "flame fight' over at another forum when someone referred to a Locomotive Engineer as a Train Driver.

That forum is moderated; this one is not.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SunsetLtd
Member # 3985

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunsetLtd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
O well.. just another excuse to go down to the depot! The Station agents heres say they love the baggage coach as it is a lot closer to the station itself so they don't have to drive that little cart all the way down to the Engines. I'm just glad that the Sightseer will remain on for the time being.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Amsunset

www.facebook.com/kevinschillinger

Posts: 250 | From: Texas State University-San Marcos, Texas (Hometown El Paso, TX) | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You all make me ache to see the Sunset again in northern Florida. The only way I can justify to my wife buying the yearly Florida Rail Pass is if the Sunset runs again in Florida so that we can use it repeatedly to go to Pensacola and Tallahassee.
Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You all make me ache to see the Sunset again in northern Florida. The only way I can justify to my wife buying the yearly Florida Rail Pass is if the Sunset runs again in Florida so that we can use it repeatedly to go to Pensacola and Tallahassee.
Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page