RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Laptop GPS & General Questions About An Upcoming Trip

Author Topic: Laptop GPS & General Questions About An Upcoming Trip
schu
Member # 4619

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for schu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be taking a trip later this month from Chicago to LA, LA to Seattle, and then Seattle back to Chicago (Southwest Chief to Coast Starlight to Empire Builder). I recently picked up a laptop and I was considering getting a GPS unit to connect to it so I had a few questions both GPS related and related to the trip itself.

First, Is a GPS worth while and can anyone recommend a GPS unit or package? I was thinking about the Streets & Trips 2007 package so I could use it in the car as well but I didn't know how well it would show location on the train itself or if there was a third party mapping program that I could use with that GPS.

Is there any way to get Internet access while aboard the train, other than through a cellular service? I'm guessing no, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

Does anyone have any ideas on securing a laptop in a Superliner Roomette? Should I lock it to something and put it out of sight or is there a better technique?

I know this is a long shot but is there any way to clean the outside of the train window yourself to make photography easier or is that pretty much impossible? I know, idiotic question, but I had to ask.

So far the helpful Amtrak agent was telling me that when I get on the Coast Starlight I should head straight for the Parlor Car and get a seat on the western side of the train so I can see the coast and then leave someone there and get the room situated. Does that sound feasible?

If anyone else has any recommendations, suggestions, or trip ideas, please let me know. The longest train trip I've taken recently was Reno to Chicago, so this should be interesting. I haven't been on the Southwest Chief for many many years. I'll be staying in a Superliner Roomette.

OK, enough questions, thanks for the help.

Posts: 4 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It'll be hard, if not nigh on impossible, to clean the upstairs window. But downstairs, take a squeezee and window spray and you'll be fine - except the looks you'll get from fellow passengers. You never know, you might earn some tips.

Phone service, well, it'll vary. Close to the cities you might be able to pick up a signal and you'll probably be going slow enough to get a constant signal, but beyond that just enjoy the scenery.

When you use the laptop, keep the curtains closed in your room. The fewer people know you have one, the better. Hide it out of sight when you leave the room, and draw the curtains so nobody can tell if you're in there or not. If you have a padlock/cable then you could secure it but generally sleeping accomodation is relatively secure (not safe but safer than coach).

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kiernan
Member # 3828

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kiernan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The main problem that you'll have with a GPS receiver is getting a consistently good signal from the satellites. The metal on the car blocks the signal, so your only hope is the window, and you'll only receive a portion of the sky. I have seen people use GPS receivers with external antennas mounted to the window. On my last train trip, my Garmin eTrex Legend could not find enough satellites to lock. This was on a California car with bigger windows than the typical transcontinental trains. Interestingly, though, my GPS receiver worked fine on the Amtrak bus. And on a Boeing 737 with a very small window.

I recommend a GPS receiver with an external antenna. I believe that you can buy GPS receivers with no display that you plug into the computer ports. These tend to be small and you could tape it directly to the window. Unfortunately, they won't work without a computer.

--------------------
Kiernan

Posts: 155 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for grabbing a seat in the Pacific Parlor Car - Good Luck - not too many of those running these days. I took almost this same trip in September, and I went to the lounge car in Santa Barbara & got a seat on the left (west or ocean) side of the train & was able to enjoy the scenery. I went back my room in San Luis Obispo, content that I had seen the best of the coast. In other words, you probably don't have to rush to the lounge car as soon as you get on the train - there were plenty of seats. Might be different on a weekend - I was traveling on a Thursday.

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sleeper attendant on #11 had a GPS equipped laptop set up in his room for anyone to view all day and all night. Nobody ran off with it when he wasn't around.

The signal seemed to come and go, but it was there more often than not.

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nasscarr1720
Member # 2060

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nasscarr1720     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the GPS you can buy the software and antennas that is made for lap tops. The price starts at 99.00. I have not used it but seen it on RV Today and it looks cool...Hear is the link.

https://shop.delorme.com

Bill

Posts: 41 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use the DeLorme GPS package mentioned above. The standard Atlas that comes with it will include rail lines, so it can be used for auto or train. I have used it on the Builder and Southwest Chief and got a good signal most, but not all of the time. It has the external GPS receiver connected to a USB port, which I always tried to balance on the window ledge for the best reception. You will have the best chance of good reception in the sightseer lounge with all the glass, but I have had continuous reception in a lower level roomette as well.

I think I purchased mine at CompUSA for less than $99 about 3-4 years ago. The atlas CD uses a lot of space, but you can either pop it in each time you use it or copy it to your hard drive. The GPS reciever unit is small and will easily fit in a laptop case. I didn't do any research before buying, but people who know mapping software say DeLorme is among the best. You can purchase additional more detailed mapping packages from DeLorme such as topographic and "Google Earth like" pictorial.

Since I have been a map freak from before I could read, I am biased. I love it. Knowing your speed and altitude at any time is also fun. You can also see where you are at night. When I saw someone following the EB route through Idaho in the middle of the night, I had to have it. It was even the reason I bought a laptop.

I recommend getting familiar with how the software works before you leave.

In the roomettes, I cabled my PC to the hanger rod in the closet by the door, and stored it on the closet floor in its case. Then I could close the closet when I left. The cable was long enough to use it in the room without uncabling it, -one of the few advantages to the cramped space.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this is a long shot but is there any way to clean the outside of the train window yourself to make photography easier or is that pretty much impossible? I know, idiotic question, but I had to ask

It'll be hard, if not nigh on impossible, to clean the upstairs window. But downstairs, take a squeezee and window spray and you'll be fine - except the looks you'll get from fellow passengers. You never know, you might earn some tips

You know, this discussion earlier in the topic is not as far fetched as it seems.

Circa 1968, one of DPM's "clique' (he had one - they were his "phalanx' to protect him from railfandom's "unwashed masses") - a fellow named George Weiss was photographed standing on a Pullman berth ladder washing a window on his sleeper while the train was at a station.

Let's not get into the potential liability of passenger injury should have that train moved even for something as finite as a brake release.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about putting "Mission Impossible" music on the headset, using suction cups attached to all 4 limbs, and washing the outside windows between station stops. Tom Cruise managed it on the TGV. I like that image as much as bagpipes on flatcars. Rail travel CAN be the adventure you make of it. We don't need no stinkin' passenger liability issues.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abefroman329
Member # 3986

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for abefroman329     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by schu:

Is there any way to get Internet access while aboard the train, other than through a cellular service? I'm guessing no, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

Unfortunately, no, and that's pretty pricey if you a) don't have the equipment currently and b) only plan to purchase it for this trip. Usually around $100-200 for the card for your laptop and then the service is another $20-30 a month, I think.
Posts: 76 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am currently in the marker for a handheld GPS. However I also own a USC GPS Reciever that I can easily use with my laptop. For mapping I use Microsoft Streets and Trips, it is very easy to use. If you have a laptop and want to use a GPS on the train, I think it is deffinetly the way to go.

By away, I would check out eBay for a USB GPS reciever, they are about $50.

Good Luck.

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by schu:
First, Is a GPS worth while and can anyone recommend a GPS unit or package? I was thinking about the Streets & Trips 2007 package

I can highly recommend the Streets & Trips "package". I also would recommend getting a small suction cup for the GPS receiver that comes with the "package". You can stick it on the train window to get good satellite reception.

As far as protecting your laptop on the train, do not leave it "in the open" and unattended. I always stored mine back in the suitcase when I left the room. {also pulled the curtains and closed the door}

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trainut
Member # 4052

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trainut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just returned from a trip on the EB (PDX to MSP), Had the family bed room down stairs. I have a laptop with Streets & Trips with the external antenna and suction cup. I had great sucess placing the antenna in the middle of the south facing window. It does have railroad tracks in the program, kind of cool. S&T also gives speed and elevation.
As far as keeping laptop safe, get a cable combnation lock ($25.00) secure it, place it out of sight and keep curtins shut. But about all this does is keep honest people honest.
If you get a hand held GPS be SURE to get one with an external antenna.

Posts: 39 | From: Saint Croix Falls | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
schu
Member # 4619

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for schu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the help... I went ahead with Streets and Trips, the new 2007 version comes with a more sensitive GPS receiver so I'll give it a shot. What sort of suction cup are you using to hold this thing in place? Just looking at it I'm not sure how that would work, unless it's just one of the suction cups with a hook or clamp attached to it.

As for washing the window, maybe I'll just bring some wipes for the inside and if I get daring enough I'll see what I can do about the outside. I just wish they would clean them more often.

I read about the diminishing use of the parlor car on the Coast Starlight so I guess I'll just see if I get lucky. It sounded as if they were using it on random train runs.

Posts: 4 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trainut
Member # 4052

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trainut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The suction cup came with the unit. Or bring along some duct tape, Just peal off a enough to hold it in place. It can be used over and over.
Posts: 39 | From: Saint Croix Falls | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page